TOWED TRAILERS as Mobile Retreats / Caches

Homes and Retreats
Northern Raider

Post by Northern Raider »

In some circumstances a viable option for pre-locating supplies and shelter in remote locations could be achieved with a towed trailer, primarily of the fixed body type, not the canvas covered hood type. Though on covered canvas types the canvas can be replaced with a hinged wood or metal top, and fitted with a roof tent.
Bug Out Trailers are not new as they are very common in Australia.

Trailers can be used either as mobile caches deployed in advance of a SHTF scenario, or they can be fitted out as a mobile retreat with berths as well as other uses, or they can be a hybrid of both.

If we look at the most intensive option then any lesser requirement can be easily achieved.
What will the trailer need? And what size will do.

Galvanised Chassis fitted with NATO tow hitch now 2 inch US ball or 50 MM EU ball.

Same size wheels and tyres as the tow car are really essential if possible.

Suspension units are needed (some trailers still rely on the wheels for suspension duty).

Wind down corner steady feet for when in use as a shelter.

Marine grade ply wood floor minimum with weather proofing on external faces.

50 mm of foil coated insulation board on floor covered by 13 mm thick marine grade ply on top. (In between 2x1 batons of course)

50 mm of foil coated insulation board on sides and roof covered by 4 or 6 mm marine grade ply (in between 2x1 batons of course)
Internal batons fitted with Sikaflex not screwed through wall to prevent cold bridges which cause condensation.

Rubber backed mats and rugs can be used on the floor and thin carpeting can be used to cover the walls.

Twin gas bottle carrier mounted on A frame of trailer capable of carry two x 7KG butane / propane bottles.

A roof vent / skylight is needed to let out condensation and steam, plus let in light

Inside depending on your skill level you need to accommodate a porta potti in a cabinet, fresh water containers (Plastic Potable Water jerry cans are good with either a battery powered pump or a hand operated pump.

You will need twin leisure batteries charged from either or both the Tow Vehicles 12S (GREY) socket and or photo PV cells on trailer roof, and or portable genny running on the same fuel type as the tow vehicle.
The trailer will require a 12VDC hook up system plus a 240volt Ac hookup system, both of which can be obtained as one piece units from camping shops.
You will need a
Safely stored camping cooker Min 2 rings plus grill.
Cutlery and crockery storage
Food storage
Clothing storage
Tool storage
Wet clothes locker
12 volt light
240 volt light
Hangers for chemical light sticks

Most of which could in theory be stowed under a false floor accessed by hinged flaps.
12 volt light
240 volt light
hangers for chemical light sticks
Fold out work surface with slot for plastic washing up bowl
Seating space than can be folded out into bed space, (an off the shelf IKEA folding Sofa bed is ideal as they come only 4 ft wide on some models)
Over head shelves for sleeping bag and pillow storage
Document / Map storage space

READ Travel Vans by John Speed for in depth information on fitting out self built BOV or trailer.

http://www.wildyoats.com/off_road_trailer_build.htm
http://www.adventuretrailers.com/
lisaloolibell

Re: TOWED TRAILERS as Mobile Retreats / Caches

Post by lisaloolibell »

bigpaul

Post by bigpaul »

NR if anyone was using a trailer as a cache there would be a chance of break in or theft of trailer from some low lifes!
Northern Raider

bigpaul wrote:NR if anyone was using a trailer as a cache there would be a chance of break in or theft of trailer from some low lifes!
Depends were its kept to be honest, Almach said he had one stashed in a remote location up in the highlands for example
bigpaul

Post by bigpaul »

yes, thought so, in the Highlands prob o.k. but in this area would have to be well hidden!
Northern Raider

bigpaul wrote:yes, thought so, in the Highlands prob o.k. but in this area would have to be well hidden!

If you left one around here you would find a family of asylum seekers moving in within days.
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Any younger preppers might want to check their licence for what type of trailer than can legally tow before getting a pull from the plod and some points. They keep changing the rules on what a car test qualifies you to drive/tow (i'm buggered if I can remember the exact details but I think it is something to do with whether the trailer has brakes and the number of axles etc) and it depends on when you passed your test what you can actually drive/tow (obviously not a problem after tshtf).

Also, dont make the mistake of pulling into the outside lane of a 3 lane m/way with a trailer in tow...the other day a chap behind me got fed up with how long I was taking to overtake the lorry in front and nipped out to overtake me, he was only in the lane for about 10 seconds but unfortunately he didnt see the police car in front of me and got nicked.
janso

Post by janso »

Carrot Cruncher wrote:Any younger preppers might want to check their licence for what type of trailer than can legally tow before getting a pull from the plod and some points. They keep changing the rules on what a car test qualifies you to drive/tow (i'm buggered if I can remember the exact details but I think it is something to do with whether the trailer has brakes and the number of axles etc) and it depends on when you passed your test what you can actually drive/tow (obviously not a problem after tshtf).

Also, dont make the mistake of pulling into the outside lane of a 3 lane m/way with a trailer in tow...the other day a chap behind me got fed up with how long I was taking to overtake the lorry in front and nipped out to overtake me, he was only in the lane for about 10 seconds but unfortunately he didnt see the police car in front of me and got nicked.

GOOD POINT there CC, check your licence youngsters!! I anyone has an interst in offroading or greenlaning then check out some links from various land rover mags on trailer rigs used for expeditions. Some of them are really good, especially those that have the same wheel sizing as the truck pulling it, extra spare straight away. Some have the trailer coverting into the sleeping space or just a galley area and storage.
axelt123

Post by axelt123 »

i recently passed my test and i can tow a trailer up a total gross weight of 700 or 750kg (thats loaded) until you pass a trailer test. But with a tractor and trailer you can tow a larger size ie 15 tonne

axel
urban fox

Post by urban fox »

since my car was totalled just before christmas I got my insurance payout which was pityful considering the amount of money they had had off me over the last 11 years, I have since bought the only reasonable vehicle I could find with the cash available (a mk4 fiesta) my other car was quite big and had loads of room but this little two door biscuit tin has all on for enough room for a few bags of groceries... I am not fixed too good financially of late so there is no chance of getting a bigger vehicle in the forseeable future. if we are to get out of dodge toot sweet!!! I doubt being able to carry all our gear plus 3 passengers and a dog in this little car so i was going to have a towbar fitted and get a small trailer..
reading this post has convinced me that this is the right course of action. soon as the cash is available towbar and trailer for me!!!