WhiteWolf

Re: Shipping Container Home

Post by WhiteWolf »

That's not a shed that's my new home if SWMBO ever throws me out :lol:

WW 8-)
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

WhiteWolf wrote:That's not a shed that's my new home if SWMBO ever throws me out :lol:

WW 8-)
I was going to make sure I had a set of keys stashed incase that happened to be :mrgreen:
Dangerous Dave

Post by Dangerous Dave »

I love the idea of using a ex storage container as a retreat. I especially think it's a perfectly camouflaged unit to retreat to in an urban senario, if it's located in the right place. Ie, amongst other containers. I've fancied buying one and placing patio doors behind the current doors so there's no obvious signs of live in accommodation when it's not being used.
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

Found some "used once" 40ft X8ft shipping containers
Quantity
4 Available
from
£3,450

+ vat & delivery

Cabin Size
40' x 8'

Condition new - "One Trip"
Cabin Type SHIPPING CONTAINER - Std Blue
Details c/w factory fitted lockbox
So two would be £6,900 + vat @ 20% £1,380 = £8,280 so not going to be much less than £10,000 delivered and sited, no doubt it could be cheaper if you get second hand containers, then you have the additional costs of planning guidance, and internal/external materials.

Happy building :mrgreen:
Dangerous Dave

Post by Dangerous Dave »

They're expensive. It's often cheaper for far east companies to sell them once they arrive here than send them half way back round the world empty, as we don't produce anything the Chinese want. Hence why they're used once. I think you can pick them up from around a grand but I wouldn't know what the conditions like. But if you think, a dirty older container would look less inviting to say a looter.
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

Would be cheaper to fit better security systems to my house than buy some containers to put off "looters".
TomW

Post by TomW »

Security systems are only of use if someone is able to respond. If the police are all busy then it doesn't matter how loud the alarm is :) Bigger, thicker doors, walls and shutters are definitely of greater use though.

If you have the land and permission the containers are a good option for a quick and easy structure but I wouldn't forego a 'real' house for one. They have no inherent insulation so you can expect to lose a foot from the internal dimensions to fit some and a finished surface. If it can be buried then it could make a good, secure, BOL. Not too comfortable for long term though :)
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

My boss just bought 2 shipping containers second hand to store some stock in his warehouse, one at 40ft and the other 20ft. I think he paid less than £800 total for the pair.

The only issue I have with them for use as a bolt hole (especially if they are buried) is you could find yourself trapped inside with no way to get out. All someone would need to do was block the ventilation and you would be screwed

That being said it is a relatively cheap and solid structure and with a bit of work and modification could be useful if you have the room.
JohnRio

Post by JohnRio »

diamond lil wrote:Can't read for hysterics over the God bit at the side and the Ark bit at the end :mrgreen: :mrgreen: but I'd think it would run with condensation and ruin yer lungs ..
It'd be a lot like living in a steel narrowboat (which I did, for three years).
You insulate directly inside the steel, and then line it out in wood panelling.

If you provide for ventilation and heat it with a wood / coal burning stove condensation isn't that bad. Don't dry washing inside though, and you need to lean towards grilling / baking / frying your food rather than boiling a lot of stuff.
tfish

Post by tfish »

bulldogeagle wrote:i like the ex site office for £1,200 now all i've got to do is find some land :lol:
Thats the price I was given for the ex office kind. One window (Shuttered) in the side and one at the back end. The front doors open and can be locked outwards with a another studwall inc a plastic upvc door fitted so you can lock open the doors and get some light while being covered from the elements too.

One huge worry it... if you in the container and someone sneaks up and locks you in for the outside. Your fracked.

I was told the "recession" had increased the price of these by 30% with companys buying old stock and not making new.