Heating

Homes and Retreats
Carrot Cruncher

Re: Heating

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

I use calor fires every year without any problems, my gran used to run a paraffin heater inside all winter with no ill effects but I expect that would be frowned upon now as well

CC
Carrot Cruncher

Northern Raider wrote:God I bet the soot got everywhere ???
Not that I noticed but I was only a kid and only went there once a year as she lived at the other end of the country. She lived well into her 80's and it was the doctors who eventually killed her offf by telling her to keep taking Asprin when she had a stomach ulcer :roll:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

We used paraffin in a multi storey flat years ago because we couldnt afford the night storage heaters. I dont remember any soot, just the smell of patchouli oil that I put to hide the smell of paraffin :mrgreen:
smileyt

Post by smileyt »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aga-style-range-s ... 3a6124d7a5

There's a stove/aga thing here on evilbay, near middlesex I think, pick up only. The blurb is a bit garbled though so hard to tell whether it's in working order or not!
lisaloolibell

Post by lisaloolibell »

Carrot Cruncher wrote:
What is it designed to heat ?
Its one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yellowstone-Cam ... 913&sr=8-1

Its supposed to be used for camping and fishing and it does say not to be used indoors. When I spoke to my local calor dealer he said that the calor gas heaters have an automatic cutout feature if there isnt adequate ventilation whereas these little camping heaters dont so you could get a build up of carbon monoxide.
Carrot Cruncher

lisaloolibell wrote:
Carrot Cruncher wrote:

Its supposed to be used for camping and fishing and it does say not to be used indoors. When I spoke to my local calor dealer he said that the calor gas heaters have an automatic cutout feature if there isnt adequate ventilation whereas these little camping heaters dont so you could get a build up of carbon monoxide.
Ah right, You could buy a carbon monoxide alarm (around £20 i think) and then use it. None of my calor fires have ever cut out due to the ventilation, in fact I never even knew they had that facility.
synonym

Post by synonym »

Hey Beards
i don't know if you ever found a solution to your indoor heating problem, but here is a possible one, see post i have just made on this Indoor Multifuel Heating/Cooking Stoves thread -
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1930
Only issue is how to vent it out. The exhaust given off would make the chimeny very hot, but i think you could make something in order to vent it out of a window or something perhaps...
Syn
Carrot Cruncher

lisaloolibell wrote:
Carrot Cruncher wrote:

Hi Lisa, I got this off the-gnole who is a plumber by trade and he looked up the regs etc. This is part of the regs he found at http://www.documentj.co.uk/Sections.asp ... =#s003-007
Diagram 33 Notes
The permanent ventialtion provisions listed in this table are additional to the openable elements or (for kitchens only) extract ventialtion in accordance with Approved Document F.
Divide the are given in mm2 by 100 to find the corresponding area in cm 2.
An internal space here means one which communicates with several other rooms or spaces. An example would be a hallway or landing.
For LPG fired space heaters conforming to BS EN 449: 1997, follow the guidance in BS 5440-2: 2000.
No permanently open vent is needed if the room or space has a door direct to outside.
Example: for a space heater in a lounge measuring 4m x 4m x 2.4m(=38.4m3), the applaince rated input should not exceed 38.4 x 0.045 = 1.73kW (net).Example: a hallway containing a space heater with a rated input of 7kW (net) should have a permanatly open vent with free area of: 10,000 + 2750 x (7 - 5.4) = 14, 400mm2>
And this is his interpretation of the regs for the type of thing you were talking about :-

"So a small window slightly open would be sufficient ventilation, an airbrick of 100mm X 100mm is 10,000mmsq. The unit in the link is 1.2Kw output...So plenty of spare ventilation is obtained from very little draught"

Hope that helps
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Also some heaters/cookers have automatic cut-off when the flame blows out... camping ones don't always so you need to check.
counsellor

Post by counsellor »

One way of using an outside heater / fire to heat indoors, is to create a heat exchanger which transfers the heat but not the flumes / gases
This is a system I’ve seen in France
It is a length of large bore flexable metal pipe that runs from outside the room, along behind the fire back plate and then leads indoors
This works because heat rises, (the flesh air in-take has to be lower that the out let) so when the fire is alight, the cold fresh air is heated by the fire and the air will flow upwards pulling more cold air in behind it which in turn is then heated
The only thing to be aware of is that the pipe remains sealed from the fire flumes
And another thing is that bugs tend to find there way into the pipe so it’s worth covering the end with a fine mesh