Securing doors & windows post SHTF

Homes and Retreats
The-Great-Nothing

Securing doors & windows post SHTF

Post by The-Great-Nothing »

Hi

After thinking about what I might do post SHTF, my only real current option is to bug in for as long as it takes. But I am worried about looters & gangs attacking the house and taking what they want.

Looking for a cheap and easy solution - I am thinking of cutting & drilling pieces of 18mm marine ply for all the accessible windows and doors (only 4 fortunately) then drilling the brick work and fitting studs round the windows to allow me to very quickly bolt the wood over the potential weak points. I would use security bolts so they couldn't be easily undone. To get back into the house & have some access - maybe keep an18" crawl space under the front door.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Matt
Bournemouthprepper

Re: Securing doors & windows post SHTF

Post by Bournemouthprepper »

The-Great-Nothing wrote:Hi

After thinking about what I might do post SHTF, my only real current option is to bug in for as long as it takes. But I am worried about looters & gangs attacking the house and taking what they want.

Looking for a cheap and easy solution - I am thinking of cutting & drilling pieces of 18mm marine ply for all the accessible windows and doors (only 4 fortunately) then drilling the brick work and fitting studs round the windows to allow me to very quickly bolt the wood over the potential weak points. I would use security bolts so they couldn't be easily undone. To get back into the house & have some access - maybe keep an18" crawl space under the front door.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Matt

I went through a phase of planning exactly what i'd do in a situation like this, thought about materials, entry points etc... HOWEVER, it all depends on where you are, entry points to your house and materials at your disposal!

If your in quite a secluded lonely place then you need to look at metal shutters/blinds, think will smith - i am legend. dont bother with wood, a few swift kicks splinters smaller weaker wood, an axe shatters heavier wood.

If your in a urban built up area imagine this: your starving, thirsty, tired and scared, all the shops are stripped bare and you haven't had a drink in over 24 hours. you see a house boarded up and fortified, the house next door looks empty and trashed, which house would you try to get into?
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Boarded up from the inside with material or blinds on the window facing side to disguise the board would allow you to use lights, move around etc without attracting attention and if you do come under attack would also hopefully give you more time to escape or defend the property, although it may also make it more difficult for you to escape if you needed to. I know of quite a few people across the various survival/prepping forums who do plan on using them

Swings and roundabouts I suppose, upsides and downsides to every option
axelt123

Post by axelt123 »

Carrot Cruncher wrote:Boarded up from the inside with material or blinds on the window facing side to disguise the board would allow you to use lights, move around etc without attracting attention and if you do come under attack would also hopefully give you more time to escape or defend the property, although it may also make it more difficult for you to escape if you needed to. I know of quite a few people across the various survival/prepping forums who do plan on using them

Swings and roundabouts I suppose, upsides and downsides to every option

You could also put black out curtains up and board over them on the inside so it looks just as if the curtains are closed
Bournemouthprepper

Post by Bournemouthprepper »

you need to get a mix of a good defense without making your little fortification too inviting
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

A better option might be to hide your stuff inside your home so if you do get looted, no one finds it.

If you have a crawl space like you mentioned, fill it with your supplies. Looters are not going to rip up floor boards. Keep a little food in the cupboards so it looks like you are running low and offer to share it with them. Beg them to leave you a little food that way it looks like it is all you have.

If you don't put up any resistance and make it look too easy, they might suspect you can afford to miss what is in the cupboards and have more stockpiled somewhere.

If you are visited by looters make sure not to restock the cupboards. If they come back and find more food you can kiss goodbye to the interior of your home as they destroy it looking for your stash.

Be lucky (and sleep well)
Big fat bill

Post by Big fat bill »

post 5.

These sort of preps need to be done now not post SHTF if you ask me and I know no one did ;)
hamiltonlee

Post by hamiltonlee »

There are several methods to consider for increasing the security of your windows. For security doors and windows ensure that they have solid fixed frames. These frames should be of any strong material and must fit the door or window firmly so that the intruder is unable to lift the door or window. In addition to this make sure that there are suitable locks for doors as well as windows.
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

hamiltonlee wrote:There are several methods to consider for increasing the security of your windows. For security doors and windows ensure that they have solid fixed frames. These frames should be of any strong material and must fit the door or window firmly so that the intruder is unable to lift the door or window. In addition to this make sure that there are suitable locks for doors as well as windows.

Hi Hamiltonlee,
Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum. Please pop over to the new members section and post a small introduction. We're a nosy bunch and want to know more about you!!!!! :D
JohnRio

Post by JohnRio »

Bournemouthprepper wrote:
The-Great-Nothing wrote:Hi

Thoughts?

Cheers

Matt

I went through a phase of planning exactly what i'd do in a situation like this, thought about materials, entry points etc... HOWEVER, it all depends on where you are, entry points to your house and materials at your disposal!

If your in quite a secluded lonely place then you need to look at metal shutters/blinds, think will smith - i am legend. dont bother with wood, a few swift kicks splinters smaller weaker wood, an axe shatters heavier wood.

If your in a urban built up area imagine this: your starving, thirsty, tired and scared, all the shops are stripped bare and you haven't had a drink in over 24 hours. you see a house boarded up and fortified, the house next door looks empty and trashed, which house would you try to get into?
18mm marine ply would be a swine to get through with an axe, it's tough stuff. It certainly won't shatter. Starving looters might give up before they even crack it.

Defenders inside would have plenty of time to get whatever they had to protect themsleves / retreat to a safe room / whatever their plan was.

(Lived on a boat for three years, the floor was built of 18mm marine ply)