Storm Shelters

Homes and Retreats
Ian

Storm Shelters

Post by Ian »

Really a question to our US friends.

Looking at the devastation in Joplin. Should you decide to build a storm shelter how do you ensure that you are not trapped by buried debris? Is the location registered so the recovery parties know where to look and check you have got out.

The answer is not much use for those in the UK as we don't get that kind of weather, but I am intrigued. It would be terrible if you survived the storm in style and then died trapped in your own shelter.
Carrot Cruncher

Re: Storm Shelters

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Cant really help you Ian and i'm not sure we have many (any?) US based members.

Being trapped is one of the main reasons I dislike the idea that is often raised on survival/prepping sites about burying a shipping container somewhere to use as a bolt hole.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

I have thought about burying a container when I get a piece of land and that is something I have definately thought of, although I would not use it for living in or taking shelter as I plan on builing an Earthship.

I would definately have two entry's/exits. One would be the main one which can be locked from both sides and one that would be less obvious. No point having a big strong locked door and a bit of plywood at the back.

I was thinking of some of that corrugated tunnelling you see in films and burying this at the back with a hidden entrance. You could even fill it in with a few inches of soil over a trapdoor. Making sure to have a shovel inside the container just in case.

Does anyone know where to get that corrugated tunnelling?

Be Lucky (and claustrophobic)
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

:shock: :shock: :shock: the very word "tunnel" brings my claustrophobia out all over !