camping

Homes and Retreats
intuitive

camping

Post by intuitive »

so im looking into planning a camping trip to use equipment and try a few things out, hoever doing so in the uk seems rather difficult interms of permission...all land is owned by somebody and so permission is needed unless its upon a national forest apparently. however the national forest is derby way on and alittle out of distance for this. ideally id love a large wooded area with the ability to try out a few bushcraft skills and a small camp fire. im in the lincolnshire area with means of transport and hoping perhaps somebody has some ideas or areas i can go or ask permission to do so.

thanks in advance
Tankford

Re: camping

Post by Tankford »

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/ isn't bad but the likelihood is outside of a National Park, you will have to pay SOMETHING. There are some websites that might have a better list of free places to camp, but Google would be your best bet.

A lot of the campsites are really struggling at the minute due to covid restrictions, so unsure if they have bumped prices up or are even allowing new bookings.

If you do go for a National Park and plan to practice firecraft, please, please carry a fire extinguisher. At the minute there is a good chance for a bush and scrub fire, even though we have had some rain there is a hell of a lot of dry ground out there.
intuitive

Post by intuitive »

hi Tankford

Thank you for your reply, Indeed we would most certainly be carrying a fire extinguisher :)
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

I've used Pitchup.com in the past to find camp sites. They cover a huge range from top end glamping to a basic farmer's field and portal loo set up. There are lots of others but it's just a question of trawling through the Internet to see what's on offer in the area of your choice that meets your requirements. We never want to go anywhere a kin to a holiday park and tend to look for the basic end of things, which also means cheeper! As long as the site allows a camp fire, we're happy!
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Try BCUK. A bushcraft forum with regional Meet ups.

The Midlands holds a Meet every 2 months the next is at the end of the month at a new location.

LORDS WOOD *New Venue Inaugural Meet!* August 28~30th 2020 is the thread title.

HTH
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
intuitive

Post by intuitive »

hey :D

thank you for the heads up ill go take a look now :)
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

Scotland has a right to roam and camp within reason, but they wont make you too welcome at the moment. Dartmoor has implied right to camp wild in its bylaws, if you don't mind the solders training around you. On facebook there is lots of wild camping groups who have lots of suggestions.

I have wild camped many times, as have lots of friends, the main key is keep moving, I eat in one place, sleep a few miles down the road. I only set up camp as it got dark and I was gone by sunrise. If you are repectful, peaceful and descrete you can camp in far more places than you would think.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

We use a caravan rather than a tent but we have had a lot of trouble getting booked up this season even at some of the very basic CL (Certified Location) sites with restricted or limited amenities on site.

Out of the four bookings we did manage to secure back in March / April three have already cancelled (In Cumbria, Central Wales and Shropshire) due to COV19 outbreaks and we are holding our breath for the last remaining site in Northumberland in September.

Note 1; All of the sites stated upfront that they would take our booking deposit but there would be no refund option, instead you had to accept re-booking at a future date once COV19 settles back down, which we did.

Note 2; There is an almost complete lack of Calor gas refills at all of the campsites we have contacted, but luckily we have several spares. 8-)
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Alf_resco.

Post by Alf_resco. »

intuitive wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:35 pm so im looking into planning a camping trip to use equipment and try a few things out, hoever doing so in the uk seems rather difficult interms of permission...all land is owned by somebody and so permission is needed unless its upon a national forest apparently. however the national forest is derby way on and alittle out of distance for this. ideally id love a large wooded area with the ability to try out a few bushcraft skills and a small camp fire. im in the lincolnshire area with means of transport and hoping perhaps somebody has some ideas or areas i can go or ask permission to do so.

thanks in advance
Currently looking at directly purchasing some woodland in Derbyshire for this very purpose.
I'd love to create a little community minded project where everyone has 24/7 access to a simple, bug out location to practise, explore and connect.
DO NOT READ THE SENTENCE BELOW.

Oooh you rebel...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:42 pm

Note 2; There is an almost complete lack of Calor gas refills at all of the campsites we have contacted, but luckily we have several spares. 8-)

Did you.see this?

http://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/view ... 12&t=17100
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine