Would You Consider Joining A Prepper Inspired Community?

Homes and Retreats
diamond lil

Re: Would You Consider Joining A Prepper Inspired Community?

Post by diamond lil »

Absolutely not. Not a herd animal here :mrgreen:
Ysverine

Post by Ysverine »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:24 amRural / semi rural location.
Scotland, Wales, Shropshire, Anglesey are among those places to be suggested.
Funny you mention Scotland, the fiancé and I have it as our long-term goal to end up there in a sort of crofting scenario. Maybe we'll end up as neighbours anyway! :lol:

In seriousness though, although I love the idea of it, I'd be worried about joining a wider community. It's probably my self-consciousness talking, but I'm very aware of how my disabilities limit how much I can contribute to a community, and I'd be scared of it breeding resentment if I'm not seen to be pulling my weight in comparison to other folks who don't live with similar conditions. That's not to say I'm entirely useless - I've got skills like first aid, minor clothing repairs, gardening knowledge and the ability to cook a decent meal with limited ingredients - but when it comes to heavy lifting and other phsyical stuff I'm not able to help out much. I feel like if tensions were to rise in the group, I'd be one of the first people would turn on for being a burden. :S
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Ysverine: Ever seen an old fashioned barn-raising ?
Everybody turns up and everybody helps, weather by lumping stuff about or fetching&carrying or ensuring those doing the 'heavy stuff' are fed and watered....... Or just by making sure that those too young to help don't get in the way of those who can.

Being willing to do something that you can do is always welcome.
You might not be able to load sacks of potatoes or dig in five tons of horse muck, but you can 'Can' carrots or shell peas.

I notice that when Arwen says "Community" some people hear "Commune". What I thought of is more like life on an island or in crofting country,
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Ysverine wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:19 pm
Arwen Thebard wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:24 amRural / semi rural location.
Scotland, Wales, Shropshire, Anglesey are among those places to be suggested.
Funny you mention Scotland, the fiancé and I have it as our long-term goal to end up there in a sort of crofting scenario. Maybe we'll end up as neighbours anyway! :lol:

In seriousness though, although I love the idea of it, I'd be worried about joining a wider community. It's probably my self-consciousness talking, but I'm very aware of how my disabilities limit how much I can contribute to a community, and I'd be scared of it breeding resentment if I'm not seen to be pulling my weight in comparison to other folks who don't live with similar conditions. That's not to say I'm entirely useless - I've got skills like first aid, minor clothing repairs, gardening knowledge and the ability to cook a decent meal with limited ingredients - but when it comes to heavy lifting and other phsyical stuff I'm not able to help out much. I feel like if tensions were to rise in the group, I'd be one of the first people would turn on for being a burden. :S
Fair enough points, knowing your own limitations is very important I agree.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jansman

Post by jansman »

We would not wish to live in an ' intentional ' community.Too many variables for us. We had 5 weeks together ( wife and I),during the lockdown,and the good weather meant all the neighbours were out in their gardens too. During that time,I must say that we forged a new connection with one of our immediate neighbours.That was a plus.Over those weeks we all helped each other with shopping,house repairs,swapped seeds and plants,lent and borrowed tools,traded for building materials.Mrs J was making face masks for those who needed them,and also eye masks for those struggling with sleep.The take up was surprising. I set- to with bicycle repairs for a couple of them.Between us it brought in a nice wine revenue! :lol:

If things really went to custard,my brother and I have an agreement that he will make his way here.Extra ' firepower', you might say.On top of that,our daughters and their partners live nearby.Youngest's chap is part of the largest family in the village,which extends our network considerably. We are friendly with all of them.

So that is us.As preppers,we would certainly not want to exist in isolation.At some time we all need outside help. Whatever support networks any of you have,I hope it works for you,and good luck.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:35 pm Ysverine: Ever seen an old fashioned barn-raising ?
Everybody turns up and everybody helps, weather by lumping stuff about or fetching&carrying or ensuring those doing the 'heavy stuff' are fed and watered....... Or just by making sure that those too young to help don't get in the way of those who can.

Being willing to do something that you can do is always welcome.
You might not be able to load sacks of potatoes or dig in five tons of horse muck, but you can 'Can' carrots or shell peas.

I notice that when Arwen says "Community" some people hear "Commune". What I thought of is more like life on an island or in crofting country,
Yep spot on FC. on all counts.
We pretty much all live in 'communities' to one degree or another now, maybe just not ones that we like or have chosen to such a degree. There are some communities where I certainly wouldn't want to be living at the moment frankly.
Arwen The Bard

Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

jansman wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:38 pm We would not wish to live in an ' intentional ' community.Too many variables for us. We had 5 weeks together ( wife and I),during the lockdown,and the good weather meant all the neighbours were out in their gardens too. During that time,I must say that we forged a new connection with one of our immediate neighbours.That was a plus.Over those weeks we all helped each other with shopping,house repairs,swapped seeds and plants,lent and borrowed tools,traded for building materials.Mrs J was making face masks for those who needed them,and also eye masks for those struggling with sleep.The take up was surprising. I set- to with bicycle repairs for a couple of them.Between us it brought in a nice wine revenue! :lol:

If things really went to custard,my brother and I have an agreement that he will make his way here.Extra ' firepower', you might say.On top of that,our daughters and their partners live nearby.Youngest's chap is part of the largest family in the village,which extends our network considerably. We are friendly with all of them.

So that is us.As preppers,we would certainly not want to exist in isolation.At some time we all need outside help. Whatever support networks any of you have,I hope it works for you,and good luck.
I think you are a lucky man with a great 'family' support unit beside you there Jansman, something we and many others can only aspire to. :)

Hence this thread and us casting a wider fishing net. I get the feeling that many people are feeling like us, that some difficult times lay ahead and we need to seriously try and prep for them.
Arwen The Bard

Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Not sure if I can post a link to our outside website on here or not? Mods please remove if not acceptable. Thanks.

https://arwen1000.wixsite.com/stoicpreppers
Arwen The Bard

jansman

Post by jansman »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:47 pm Not sure if I can post a link to our outside website here or not? Mods please remove if not acceptable. Thanks.

https://arwen1000.wixsite.com/stoicpreppers
I see no problem Arwen. You are an established member here,and I think I speak for the rest of the mod team. I would just add ,as a caveat,that any UK Prepper members who visit your website must realise that there is no affiliation between the two.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I'm just going to put this here, nothing to do with Arwen (well, I don't think so) but maybe relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fhdhuF ... Q&index=15
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar