Would You Consider Joining A Prepper Inspired Community?

Homes and Retreats
Lone

Re: Would You Consider Joining A Prepper Inspired Community?

Post by Lone »

Fortunately, I’ve been cutting my own hair for 20 years, saves going to and paying a barber, one cutter has lasted me years, but got two spares.

Means I can cut my hair the moment it is needing done, no travelling, out money, etc., beard trimmer supplied too, so I don’t look like a caveman...well...not all the time at least ! :lol:

I’ve never understood with some survival films/tv series, how their hair stays the same, not exactly unkempt, same with beards, or being clean shaven, when you know they don’t have such kit with them ! :roll:

Shampoo, shaving foam, razors, brush, comb, mirror, scissors, etc.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Lone wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:15 pm Fortunately, I’ve been cutting my own hair for 20 years, saves going to and paying a barber, one cutter has lasted me years, but got two spares.

Means I can cut my hair the moment it is needing done, no travelling, out money, etc., beard trimmer supplied too, so I don’t look like a caveman...well...not all the time at least ! :lol:

I’ve never understood with some survival films/tv series, how their hair stays the same, not exactly unkempt, same with beards, or being clean shaven, when you know they don’t have such kit with them ! :roll:

Shampoo, shaving foam, razors, brush, comb, mirror, scissors, etc.
Ha ha! :lol: I have cut ( shaved really) my own rather bald head for 25+ years. And clean shaven too. Wear a beard if you want- that’s great- but don’t do stubble AKA sloppy standards!
EEDF9CB4-42A6-4726-B381-33377673E329.jpeg
I have used a straight razor for many years, probably because my dad did. However, when I see the price of razor blades, I just think , “ Kerching!”, I wouldn’t pay that! But I digress.

How a person lives is their business. We are a democratic society. Get that last word? Society. The Lockdown has shown that we are social animals. We need human contact, if only to maintain mental health. My neighbour, a mental health nurse, told me that they are now seeing an avalanche of cases , many children and teenagers who have not fared well.

If someone wishes to live alone, then fine. That person though, unless living as a Hermit in sack cloth on a remote island, is STILL part of a community. A community/ society arranges itself so that food, water, power, healthcare and a thousand other things keep the wheels turning. We saw what happens when a wheel fell off the societal wagon back in March/April. The shelves were stripped of essential goods, and folks were worried about a community breakdown.At the start of Lockdown many folks who lived alone ( and 25% of uk households do) needed outside help as they we’re self - isolators, elderly and shielding,disabled, or just plain scared. They needed community, or outside help if you like.

We live how we live.Your choice in a democratic society. But as I said, unless you are a Hermit on an island, you are part of a community.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Lone wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:15 pm I’ve never understood with some survival films/tv series, how their hair stays the same, not exactly unkempt, same with beards, or being clean shaven, when you know they don’t have such kit with them ! :roll:
Don't seem to go to the toilet or spend time picking nuts and berries either . I suppose if they showed all those "boring" bits and every step of a forty mile plus walk there wouldn't be any time left for fighting zombies or aliens or warlords or whatever.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Raven wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:16 pm We won’t see that.

This planet will not become a planet like in Star Wars which is one big city.

The planet would crumble and die if that were the case.

Besides Mother Earth has a way of chipping away at out numbers. Tsunamis, flooding, fires maybe even a deadly disease or virus one day....but it will take out a lot of the population out and nature will simply take over again.
Asimov has a planet wide city in his books too , Trantor . It's an interesting idea which like pretty much all sci-fy relies upon faster than light travel or hyperspace to cover the enormous distances involved which would be absolutely essential for one planet to be the administrative capital of a galactic empire. The comment about nature taking over is interesting too . In one of his books Asimov visits the outside of the city , the roof if you like , and there is found vegetation growing in areas where dirt has collected. In one of the later books after the empire has collapsed most of the population leave and those that stay make a living dismantling the city and selling the metal and turning to agriculture on those cleared areas..
Like you say i can't see such a thing actually happening at least not without some pretty huge technological leaps and even then i doubt it , certainly won't be in my lifetime.
Lone

Post by Lone »

I’ve seen a couple of films that try to include the mundane in the storyline, I think to get over the fact proper Survivalism isn’t like ‘I’m A Celebrity’, but hair cutting, hygiene, etc., is a necessity when no stylists or en suites are available, or the fact it is knowingly going to end.

The films were ‘Here Alone’ and ‘The Survivalist’ not action-packed but trying to at least depict the realities of living day-to-day, initially on their own, so the trivial but necessary routines are included.

I expect it would only be those specifically interested in this aspect of realism, rather than something fast-paced which excludes the minor details, that would enjoy watching them

I like both these movies...likely considered boring by many
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I've seen the survivalist , not a bad film bu t haven't seen the Here alone one. Might have to take a look if i remember. It is good to have a bit of reality , dirt and grime rather than blood and gore so to speak. I tend to think a lot of films of this genre act as a "what not to do" guide to the apocalypse. Don't go tearing off without a plan or provisions , don't have a shouting match when surrounded by zombies or whatever , don't worry all cars will start , or have petrol in them and won't have flat tyres or don't be the flashy bimbo as it means you'll soon be dead :D
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Individuals coming together as community might take the form of a farmers type market, training /teaching skills classes to each other or just good old fashioned "breaking bread" and having a beer from time to time, for those who wanted such interaction. Even cave dweller "Hessian-Sack-Hamish" is welcome if he scrapes the grunge from his beard. :lol:

Over time a closer knit community feel would likely develop anyway, without too much effort or anyone even noticing.
Last edited by Arwen Thebard on Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Anyone remember The Venus Project? [Zeitgeist? Jacque Fresco?]
https://www.thevenusproject.com/

"The Venus Project is a non-profit organization that presents a new socio-economic model utilizing science and technology toward social betterment to achieve a sustainable civilization of abundance for all, without exception."

Not really my sort of thing but you have to admire their ambition and commitment.
Arwen The Bard

Raven

Post by Raven »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:31 pm Individuals coming together as community might take the form of a farmers type market, training /teaching skills classes to each other or just good old fashioned "breaking bread" and having a beer from time to time, for those who wanted such interaction. Even cave dweller "Hessian-Sack-Hamish" can even come if he scrapes the grunge from his beard. :lol:

Over time a closer knit community feel would likely develop anyway, without too much effort or anyone even noticing.
Yes! That sounds really good!

I know someone who lives in such a small village there is no pub or anything, but they home brew a little and have built a small garden bar at the back of their garden, with a lovely seating area, all the neighbours were welcome and used to go round. It wasn’t an official bar, they only asked for the cost of the can etc. I’d be willing to do something like that!

I am actually building a little hut here for our village to put extra produce in and maybe books. I’ve seen places turn telephone boxes into book exchange places and sometimes some one has put extra veg in etc. So it was inspired like that a little.
Keep calm & carry on PREPPING :twisted:
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

To clarify something said to me off the forum, my use of the term "Lone-Wolf" may have given the wrong impression and could have just as many problems in interpretation as my use of the word community.

Some people read community and hear commune.

Some people read "Lone-Wolf" and hear mountain man, Bear Grylls or some such idea of a white bearded man dressed in a bear skin coat carrying a long rifle, living alone in a wooden hut 3000ft up a snowy mountain.

My interpretation of a lone wolf is simply an independent person who can look after themselves. Not someone who shuns society and deliberately avoids contact with other people.

The lone wolves I know are equally comfortable in their own company as they are being with others, they are not afraid to ask for help when they need it and can respond in kind when they are asked. Doesn't that describe most of us?

Sorry for any confusion.
Arwen The Bard