Would You Consider Joining A Prepper Inspired Community?

Homes and Retreats
Arwen Thebard

Re: Would You Consider Joining A Prepper Inspired Community?

Post by Arwen Thebard »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:05 pm I keep saying things that people agree with...... Now I'm worried that I'm turning into a reasonable adult :shock:

So, Arwen. What shape does your vision of a prepper comunity have?
"Lone-Wolves" all living private lives, doing their own thing, on their own properties, who agree to join together [when needed] to overcome problems, enforce security & ensure their mutual survival. If anything more close knit develops, naturally, over time then so be it.

(Or maybe just have the odd BBQ and beer now and again.) 8-)
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

dizzydays wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:36 pm Interesting, Grenfell, that you're illustrating your points with Orwells 1984....In the same vein can I throw in Orwells Animal Farm?
All animals are equal ...but some animals are more equal than others
:-)
Yes
Looking at this pragmatically it's the natural order of things throughout the animal world whether one is an ant , a lion or a human there always seems to be a pecking order if you will. Without going political a lot is thrown around about equality which is little more than a pipe dream for everyone to be equal. Someone has to make decisions or put themselves at risk or learn more than their peers. Forge's comments about committees is spot on , after all "designed by committee " is a term used to describe something done badly. I've often said humans have a sort of built in idleness factor aided by our inventiveness . Rather than walking we first rode animals then invent bikes , train , cars and so on. Rather than digging we domesticate animals to do the hard work and now use the power of fossil fuels . Perhaps an oversimplification but transfer that to almost any community and then there will always be some who want to take the easy path and some who will want to run the herd.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:07 am Remember that books are just books. And are often written by idealistic intellectuals, not real people who have experienced real situations..
Listen to some of the more shiny hat wearers and they will say that some books were more of a prophecy for the kind of society we are becoming :?
Son Of Andrew

Post by Son Of Andrew »

This is a topic that's very close to my heart, and I've been trying to rally some folks together for quite some time (and having some success). I think a community of LMP will be essential in the near future, though there are no guarantees, and it takes time for people to get to know one another. I think most people feel daunted with the commitment of joining a community or 'tribe', and feel they would become stuck with other people who might later turn out to be a problem. This is understandable in this day-and-age, but what if you could form the network first, and set up a process whereby people could get to know each other and form crews, tribes or MAGs ahead of time, and with all parties agreeable? What if you could take sensible precaution ahead of time to allow people to meet, and to make sure that they don't find themselves stuck in an untenable position? This is something I'm working towards.

In regards to the 'lone wolf' argument, you have to remember that whenever a lone wolf meets a pack, they have to turn around and beat feet in the other direction. A lone wolf will never have enough muscle to take on a pack. They are therefore excluded to the margins of society (and from the good hunting grounds as a result), and will have to resort to scavenging (and evasion) more often than a pack ever would.
Last edited by Son Of Andrew on Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fortune Favours The Prepared.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Are we not all "Lone-Wolves" to some degree? At least that's how we start out IMO. We haven't got where we are today by all being complaint and subservient [Beta?] members of the "societal" pack. Why do we all come together on this forum? What are we looking for in return? The feeling of being part of something, a member of a group is certainly part of it.

Unless you are already a fully involved and committed member of a MAG / Tribe / Group / Community, living within a pack, then what are you? Everyone is an individual however you look at it, which is just how it should be. Everyone thinking the same, wearing similar clothes, doing similar work, living the same lives....YUK. :shock: (Orwellian nightmare appears before me)

Sounds to me like there could be a lot of people out there who consider themselves to be (and enjoy being) "Lone-Wolves" but who understand the benefits of strength in being a member of a pack from time to time.
Arwen The Bard

Son Of Andrew

Post by Son Of Andrew »

There's no doubt the 'pack' is stronger when individuals are allowed to play to their strengths, and by your definition (Arwen/theBard) I am a 'Lone-wolf', unfortunately. It's not by choice though, and I know there must be others like my friends and I, whom seek 'real' community based on shared values.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Yeah, good answer SoA, but what might those shared values be?

That is a fundamental question and there will be many different answers, having a common thread that runs through a community and ties it together is highly valuable to many people.

But what form would that thread take? Would it be some sort of political basis? Or maybe a common religious belief? How about a written constitution / set of rules?

I am really interested in hearing everyone's ideas on what form those "threads" might be.
Arwen The Bard

Raven

Post by Raven »

I see what you are all saying about lone wolves and I get that most of us on here are to some extent....

but the very fact we are on here, well to me at least, signifies we are seeking to be part of a community because we are seeking like minded folk who understand the value we place on prepping. I know you can argue it’s virtual but it still shows a psychological desire to band together....

I could be wrong.

Most communities you live in are made purely by people living on that same area, or seeking a similar lifestyle. Some go one step further and they are also a religious community, or sustainable focus community....and if SHTF those communities will pull their pants up and become even tighter knit in an effort to share resources and security...of that I have no doubt. They just may not be as quick as some of us would be.

The reason for me being on here? I love the help and advice I get when need help and I love that we are realistic preppers (you all appear that way anyway....) but not full on doomsday like the show. We keep it light and positive and helpful. No real deep politics, no rudeness. Which is what I want/need/like about this forum and all the lovely people that have interacted with me.

So if a community is first based on wanting the “right” location. Then shared interests....I think most of us have a good base already, without the need to be ruled by an alpha of a pack at least or at this stage. If it gets to the stage that you need that pack security then you will need an alpha figure to call shots.

Their will always be conflict in any type of gathering or community, heads butting or people ruffling each other’s fur the wrong way...it is inevitable. But thats a part of life. And hopefully because preppers have the shared goal or value surviving as much as each other they could try harder to compromise.

The value of a prepper community over another one is that they will be setting up and preparing...helping each other to prepare and building bonds that way.

If you want to survive long term there will be a few lone wolves with a particularly unique skill set that can slip under the radar and will make it not all but definitely some...but for a lot of us, a community or pack would be our best chance.

I know my limitations, and I personally love the community gatherings and dances and festivals we had before lockdown, but then I also love being away from humans in general in my back garden and just on my own...but I couldn’t survive well for long without companionship.

However again psychologically and historically it in most females DNA tend to want to form a community as they needed protection to help raise the children. And it makes me wonder if there is a great difference in male/female perspective on this?

Again just thinking out loud. How we survived/lived historically, our evolution and psychology really interests me.
Keep calm & carry on PREPPING :twisted:
Son Of Andrew

Post by Son Of Andrew »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:07 am But what form would that thread take? Would it be some sort of political basis? Or maybe a common religious belief? How about a written constitution / set of rules?

I am really interested in hearing everyone's ideas on what form those "threads" might be.
It's up to those individuals that comprise each community of course, but here's my personal opinion.

Politics is a minefield. Even if everyone inside your community is of one mind, you'll eventually be targeted by someone else simply for holding different beliefs. That's the new paradigm into which we're moving (or have been in for some time).

I value a spiritual emphasis and all that entails, including the faith, courage and conviction it can inspire, but the same applies again, if you stick with a single denomination. Another minefield, and it could lead good people to repeat the mistakes of the past.

For me it's simply about family. Celebration and support of the traditional family unit. If you want to know what constitutes a successful community I think it's beneficial to look at indigenous people worldwide. What common values do they share? Well, I'm not entirely sure, but I can say with some certainty that without exception they revere Nature, and they live for family. They certainly don't know anything of 'politics'. They don't need a focus, because simply being a valued member and contributing to the community, and helping each other is the purpose.

As far as written rules, as few as possible, but make them plain with no room for error or misunderstanding. People can be autonomous for the most part, and will police themselves. They don't need to be treated like children, they know right and wrong already.

That's my ha'penny's worth. =0)
Son Of Andrew

Post by Son Of Andrew »

Raven wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:52 am ... I also love being away from humans in general in my back garden and just on my own...but I couldn’t survive well for long without companionship.

However again psychologically and historically it in most females DNA tend to want to form a community as they needed protection to help raise the children. And it makes me wonder if there is a great difference in male/female perspective on this?

Again just thinking out loud. How we survived/lived historically, our evolution and psychology really interests me.
The fact that we can survive in isolated households at all is due in no small part to the technology and convenience we're currently enjoying. Life would be much harder otherwise if the power were to go off.

... I don't think men and women are too much different in that respect, the mutual goal is survival of yourself and your offspring, so no difference there.

=0)