Would You Consider Joining A Prepper Inspired Community?

Homes and Retreats
ForgeCorvus

Re: Would You Consider Joining A Prepper Inspired Community?

Post by ForgeCorvus »

It seems to me that most good leaders get Drafted.... Didn't somebody one say that seeking power should exclude you from getting it?

The biggest problem I can see with the whole MAG/ Selected community is recruiting, if you do it openly (Advert in Survivalrepperist Monthly for example) you never know how many nutters you'll end up with. Then before you know it the Vigilance Committee has thrown you out on your ear for asking why the group is now an armed militia or WHY.

For that matter, asking friends, friends of friends, their friends and distant relatives of all the above, just means that sooner or later you discover that half the group are at loggerheads with the other half over acceptable diet, or how to raise the kids or wheat v. oats.

Groups should evolve... In fact they need to evolve or they stagnate and die
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

"Groups should evolve... In fact they need to evolve or they stagnate and die"
Great answer and two good other points.

I think the whole "Who do you ask? - How do you find others?" questions are part of the problem. It's been drummed into the prepping [community :D See what I did there! ] for so long, that we should keep everything about our prepping secret, that evolution just isn't happening unfortunately.

Trying to set up a MAG / community / tribe whatever your preference, is a calculated risk on our part and for the others involved, but we are concerned that SHTF scenarios are happening now and time is getting short. Catch 22?
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Quote by John C Maxwell;

“In most cases, those who want power probably shouldn't have it, those who enjoy it probably do so for the wrong reasons, and those who want most to hold on to it don't understand that it's only temporary.”
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jansman wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:10 pm Whatever set up you prefer, is entirely up to you. We cannot, any of us, deny being members of a community- natural or contrived. At some point, we all need outside help. As an example, a doctor removing your appendix! Our health service is part of our community. You cannot detach yourself from that. Nor paying taxes. That automatically makes you part of a community.

No man is an island.

My neighbour, ( we were at school together and it is a bit close to home), had a heart attack this week. His friend dropped off a load of firewood this week, and he was getting a bit stressed about not being able to deal with it. He heats with solid fuel too. He has helped me a time or two with building jobs, so although not tit for tat, I shall chainsaw it down tomorrow. That’s community.

I've mentioned before Orwell's newspeak in his 1984 novel which removes surplus words from the vocabulary. Perhaps community should be one of those words as it means different things to different people though i'm not sure what to replace it with As jansman illustrates here we are all considered part of a community whether we like it or not. Detaching oneself is much harder than joining. We can describe ourselves here on this forum as a community as we share similar values by and large yet we could and may have walked past each other in the street without recognition. At the other end of the scale there are people in my local community i instantly recognise but frankly i wouldn't unzip if they were on fire. While i don't think the lone wolf idea is viable long term , when i see how people rile each other up then i must admit having a certain sympathy to that way.
Can't help thinking that if a community is made up purely of preppers , sportsmen or stamp collectors for that matter it's going to be just as much effort to make it work as it would be or is with a more disperate grouping.
dizzydays

Post by dizzydays »

Interesting, Grenfell, that you're illustrating your points with Orwells 1984....In the same vein can I throw in Orwells Animal Farm?
All animals are equal ...but some animals are more equal than others
:-)
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Remember that books are just books. And are often written by idealistic intellectuals, not real people who have experienced real situations..
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I've been involved with several committees and quite a few groups based on a common interest (drama, folk dancing, community amenities etc) and they always seems to start off with loads of people offering help and input but after a while either nothing gets done or the same core group ends up carrying 90% of the workload.
For instance at one point in my village there was a committee managing each of : drama group, village hall, two different playing fields, a football club (different teams covering all ages), youth club, parish council, village green and a historic fund for the relief of the poor of the parish.
All these had a lot of the same people holding various positions because nobody else wanted to do the work...... However, that didn't stop other people moaning about how they would of run it differently even though they refused to take part!

If you do a great job, nobody remembers. If you do a bad one, nobody forgets.

I'll quit my moaning now :oops:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I’ll second what ForgeCorvus says. Many years ago, I sat on the committee of my fishing club. An intentional community of you like, all of us with a shared interest.

As ForgeCorvus said , a small minority does all the work. The majority , backsliding and moaning all the way. There are watchers, and there are doers.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I keep saying things that people agree with...... Now I'm worried that I'm turning into a reasonable adult :shock:

So, Arwen. What shape does your vision of a prepper comunity have?
jansman

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:05 pm I keep saying things that people agree with...... Now I'm worried that I'm turning into a reasonable adult :shock:

So, Arwen. What shape does your vision of a prepper comunity have?
Ha ha! :lol: it doesn't hurt once in a while for folks to agree! We have members complain that I am too blunt, but I do like to see both sides. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.