Would You Consider Joining A Prepper Inspired Community?

Homes and Retreats
diamond lil

Re: Would You Consider Joining A Prepper Inspired Community?

Post by diamond lil »

I think if communes/communities worked, then more people would be living in them.
Raven

Post by Raven »

I didn’t know of the other places.

I’d love to be able to chat and practice with like minded people without being told I’m crazy!
diamond lil wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:33 pm I think if communes/communities worked, then more people would be living in them.
but a preppers community would be super secret cos of op-spec no?
Keep calm & carry on PREPPING :twisted:
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:33 pm I think if communes/communities worked, then more people would be living in them.
We do mostly live in communities LIL, just not ones of our own making.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Raven wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:36 pm I didn’t know of the other places.
I’d love to be able to chat and practice with like minded people without being told I’m crazy!
but a preppers community would be super secret cos of op-spec no?
Lots more Eco / Prepper Communities listed here, fill your boots. 8-)
https://ecovillage.org/

I think the time for super secrecy has almost passed frankly, we've all been told that game plan for so long we have come to accept it as an unwritten rule of law somehow and if it [MAG / community building] doesn't start to happen pretty soon then its clearly just going to be "everyone for themselves" and good luck with that plan.

Op-Sec has its place of course and there are ways to deal with that aspect, but some level of risk needs to be taken if MAGs are going to form. How much longer do you leave it? How long will it take to get one organised from a standing start? How long do YOU think you have left to join a group? Weeks? Months? Years? Decades? We all have our opinion on that one. :lol:

You get the picture.....
Arwen The Bard

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Lone wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:16 pm It might even take time in a group to start identifying willingly or even unwillingly, the leaders who start emerging.

Curiously, on forums I’ve been on, the ones who didn’t worry about this, turn out in enough discussions, to be the same ones who try to take charge of the topics, tell others they are wrong, go into lectures you just know they likely have lifted from elsewhere that sounded good.

They weren’t concerned, due to the fact, they saw themselves as an Alpha...so got into their minds apparently, they needn’t be fazed as nobody would be in charge of them.

Surely, others have seen them too ?
Well I hope I don't come across like that :mrgreen:

Over my now middle aged life I've experienced many things sat through various all be it in the grand scheme of things basic training in fire fighting / first aid/ health and safety .. coupled with experience of my trade I got made up to supervisor at work,.

And to be fair I've never had a problem at work with those I'm "in charge of". Why... I treat people with respect.... I'll listen then tell them I'm right and they are wrong ....like it or lump it.. ;) :evil: especially when someone is doing a work process wrong / in an unsafe manner..

I've kicked men older than me off site who decide to push their luck no boots no vest no job sort of thing it's clear it needs to be like that do it or its p45 time and it's not without warnings ...

How many times do you pull someone up wearing trainers when they have been issued safety footwear and signed a contract to obey site rules .. let one get away with it they will all push their luck..

I've dealt with various emergencies both at home / work / road ...

Yes I've taken charge as many people have no idea where to start. Or what to do....

Mid lock down I stopped at a minor crunch at a busy cross roads there were the 2 car drivers a few passengers and family members who turned up to help / fight the corner of each respective party...

Fair enough ...

But to be stood in the middle of a major arterial cross roads controlled by traffic lights with 7 lanes leading into the junction someone was going to get splatted I pulled up wound window down nice loud, slow and clear

"put the hazard lights on and get on the pavement to exchange details before one of you gets run over"

It did the trick they all drifted to the pavement sometimes you just have to "flick a switch" and get people thinking without getting massively involved... Or be seen as "ordering " someone about

Likewise you get a say electrician in to do a job you don't tell him how to do it you explain what you want / need then leave them to do it :tinfoil
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

"They weren’t concerned, due to the fact, they saw themselves as an Alpha...so got into their minds apparently, they needn’t be fazed as nobody would be in charge of them."

I get the point, I've seen the Alpha type on occasions throughout my life as well but IMO leaders are a natural fact of life throughout many species and for good reason. The good ones that I've been fortunate to learn from generally reached those positions out of necessity and genuine ability. They all listened well and were never afraid to admit mistakes, including taking responsibility for errors of their subordinates.

Sometimes someone needs to step up and try to get things done, otherwise nothing happens.
Arwen The Bard

jansman

Post by jansman »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:27 am "They weren’t concerned, due to the fact, they saw themselves as an Alpha...so got into their minds apparently, they needn’t be fazed as nobody would be in charge of them."

I get the point, I've seen the Alpha type on occasions throughout my life as well but IMO leaders are a natural fact of life throughout many species and for good reason. The good ones that I've been fortunate to learn from generally reached those positions out of necessity and genuine ability. They all listened well and were never afraid to admit mistakes, including taking responsibility for errors of their subordinates.

Sometimes someone needs to step up and try to get things done, otherwise nothing happens.
That is rather a good observation Arwen.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
omega man

Post by omega man »

Agreed,
I suppose in a well rounded/sourced group or community the 'leadership role' would be a transferable one, with a group member coming to the fore at times when their particular skill set and experience is required for the good of the community. Changing leaderships in this way I'd imagine would add to the sense of "in it together" thus avoid an 'us and them' mentality somewhat. I'm just musing.

Very interesting thread this, I'm conflicted currently about whether Mrs O and I would seriously consider such a venture.

OM
daylen

Post by daylen »

I think this sounds great.

Our plan at the moment is to move away from the city onto a smallholding when the kids finish school.

We've spent a lot of time thinking about the practicalities and talking to people who've done it. Some people love the isolation, not just due to remoteness but due to having spend all their time working, but most find that without some sort of community it's extremely hard.

I like my privacy and space but very much need to be part of a community. We've started mentioning plans to family and close friends to see if anyone else is interested.

I've spent some time over the years looking at places such as Tinker's Bubble and find them fascinating. I actually seriously considered joining one after university. The chance of the love of a good woman stopped my application. A choice a do not regret! Intensional community certainly has its place.

Something that people seem to find hard is the fact that although our current communities seem effortless, they're formed with generations of knowledge and understanding of expectations and such like. They're actually really complex and difficulties in agreeing these rules lead to a lot of problems.

I'm reading a book at the moment called RetroSuburbia by David Holmgren which details a route to make existing communities more resilient and sustainable. Personally this idea excites me more than starting a totally new community. It removes a lot of the need to create new community rules and such like.

Are you planning on starting an entirely new community or joining an existing 'normal' one?
Lone

Post by Lone »

Arwen

Excellent reply to my post. You picked up very well on the concept of an Alpha, and the fact that some who do rise to the occasion and lead well.

The flip side to this is what I would call a fake Alpha, convincing to a point until a crisis hits, then is seen to falter and fail, much like ‘paper tigers’ (for want of a better comparison) appearing to have all the qualities sought for in a leader, but in time it was just a facade to make themselves important enough to be vital to the group/community.

I don’t mean to be a pessimist, but how long do you give someone in charge the benefit of the doubt, before the realisation they were the wrong choice, maybe having led the group into a situation that even a good replacement would struggle to correct.