Would You Consider Joining A Prepper Inspired Community?

Homes and Retreats
omega man

Re: Would You Consider Joining A Prepper Inspired Community?

Post by omega man »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:17 pm I'm just going to put this here, nothing to do with Arwen (well, I don't think so) but maybe relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fhdhuF ... Q&index=15
an interesting watch FC, cheers
OM
Raven

Post by Raven »

Gotta be honest I'm slightly surprised no one else so far seems for it?

I was happy to read your post as it proves that somewhere someone out there is thinking something similar to me! Although that honestly depends on the specifics of the community.

I have a massive concern about the type of people I'd be with, because being prepared means you think through worst case scenarios and also how you would react. So for that reason I would be very wary/scared. On the other hand if we were a tight-kit group of people I absolutely trusted then I think I would feel a lot safer.

Ysverine's concern's I appreciate and I'm fortunate enough to be a "young back" at the moment...but I think they could be underselling themselves. Even having knowledge, being a lookout or just cheerful and supportive would be useful. I don't really know the specifics of your situation but I feel that you maybe have strengths that you don't think are immediately useful but would actually be invaluable in a everyday scenario. I like think I have a "transferable" experience as I am thinking of what amazing feats that my Gran managed to orchestrate bound to her living room chair, with no internet but she still seem to manage to fix any problems the family had in our lives, make sure we were fed (good healthy food too) and I still remember the apple peeling in September when we all used to do it and when her hands got tired she would oversee the apple cooking (she was partially blind but never cut herself peeling with a knife!)...
which ok it isn't the same thing as your scenario I know, but honestly I think its slightly...transferable? Anyway...my point is again...you need the right type of people...but I knew if there was ever a zombie apocalypse (for example only) we never would have been able to move my Gran and I realised that I had resorted myself to have died with her, because there is no way I would have left her behind. and to be honest...those would be the kind of people I would want to be with...if I lived in a "prepper type of community". The stick together no matter what sort and not turn on each other which is so much harder than not. Open honest communication seems to be impossible for most people I know too which is so frustrating....anyway I digress.

But I would definitely not rule it out. I think this idea is worth exploring for sure, but it wouldn't be for everyone.

Also most people have been building relationships, sharing knowledge, resources and skills in a "normal" (I don't want to use that word but I can't think of another if there is one PM me and I will edit it) community, especially recently. I think if SHTF tomorrow our village would pull together even if I didn't approve of all their methods. So my question is...

and I apologise in advance if this comes across...awkward or patronising etc as I don't mean it too...but what would this prepper community offer different/or in addition to? Does that make sense?

I love the topic though, so thanks for being brave and posting it! :)
Keep calm & carry on PREPPING :twisted:
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

In principal i like the idea. I seem to recall reading that the "natural" size for any human grouping is somewhere between 100-150 which would give an indication of the size of such a community. How a number of such groups would work and interact would be a problem on its own in our densely packed population. If society were to collapse and there be a die off then i feel it would be far more workable. As it is if it's BAU then there are still taxes and bills to be paid and some would have to work outside that community which is pretty much how most people live their lives as it is now. That alone could be the cause of argument " i'm the only one actually bringing money into this community while others are fannying around planting cabbages" type of thing. Then one has to consider the future of such a community when the kids are expected to continue it and it's values and very possibly forego foriegn travel , moving away and so on.
As i say like it in principal but really difficult to put into practice.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Oooh interesting idea! So let’s say an average family in a home is 5? To get to 100 that is 20 family units.

I would assume that someone from each family unit (at least) would still need to go out to work! Still need money to live.

Have you ever heard of the Findhorn Foundation in Scotland?

Putting aside that they are very spiritual...their community is about sustainability and trying to be self sufficient. I would kind envision a community a little like that. But in a better location.

Have you heard about the sustainable mini city in Saudi?It was part of a documentary and basically they built all these homes and at the front there was parking (so there no cars within)which was where the solar panels were to protect them from the sun and provide the power and offices to let out to make money to help run the mini city and these amazing greenhouse pods which the community looked after and grew their own food in!
Last edited by Raven on Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lone

Post by Lone »

I’m not sure if the connection is valid, but as I’d prefer not to be part of a community, I always liked the concept of the old mountain men, albeit not trapping, fighting bears, etc.

Best example I can think of is the film Jeremiah Johnson, who opts to go into the wild, gradually adapting to his environment.

Urban solo survival in the U.K. isn’t exactly in the same vein as mountain men, but at the same time, I liked the part where mountain men occasionally met a kindred spirit, without staying in each other’s company for long, but helping out maybe with some food, advice, equipment.

In a way, all were alone, but may have cause, even accidentally, of meeting another like them.

A sort of unattached group of Lones, that knew each other, but lived apart
jansman

Post by jansman »

Whatever set up you prefer, is entirely up to you. We cannot, any of us, deny being members of a community- natural or contrived. At some point, we all need outside help. As an example, a doctor removing your appendix! Our health service is part of our community. You cannot detach yourself from that. Nor paying taxes. That automatically makes you part of a community.

No man is an island.

My neighbour, ( we were at school together and it is a bit close to home), had a heart attack this week. His friend dropped off a load of firewood this week, and he was getting a bit stressed about not being able to deal with it. He heats with solid fuel too. He has helped me a time or two with building jobs, so although not tit for tat, I shall chainsaw it down tomorrow. That’s community.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Raven

Post by Raven »

I don’t think they were suggesting a community that didn’t interact with the outside world...

Also although we aren’t like the doomsday preppers (there are bits we can take from it though) the people that assess the groups often say that getting your community on board makes them more independent and helpful in a crisis. Surely lively within cycling distance of another prepper household you trust is just a little bit better because you can discuss the ongoing world issues and life hacks or ideas with like minded neighbours who are close enough to help prep?

Obviously Lone think it goes without saying you have a bit of a lone wolf mindset even if I haven’t read and responded to several of your other posts to know this lol!
Lone

Post by Lone »

Raven

Yes, indeed, lone wolf is a good term, free to move around no commitments to anybody.

When you compare to a wolf pack, where there is a pecking order - Alpha Male Alpha Female - some may say that doesn’t exist in humans, but it does, I guess situations haven’t arose often enough for groups to identify the process. It might even take time in a group to start identifying willingly or even unwillingly, the leaders who start emerging.

Curiously, on forums I’ve been on, the ones who didn’t worry about this, turn out in enough discussions, to be the same ones who try to take charge of the topics, tell others they are wrong, go into lectures you just know they likely have lifted from elsewhere that sounded good.

They weren’t concerned, due to the fact, they saw themselves as an Alpha...so got into their minds apparently, they needn’t be fazed as nobody would be in charge of them.

Surely, others have seen them too ?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Lone wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:16 pm Raven

Yes, indeed, lone wolf is a good term, free to move around no commitments to anybody.

When you compare to a wolf pack, where there is a pecking order - Alpha Male Alpha Female - some may say that doesn’t exist in humans, but it does, I guess situations haven’t arose often enough for groups to identify the process. It might even take time in a group to start identifying willingly or even unwillingly, the leaders who start emerging.

Curiously, on forums I’ve been on, the ones who didn’t worry about this, turn out in enough discussions, to be the same ones who try to take charge of the topics, tell others they are wrong, go into lectures you just know they likely have lifted from elsewhere that sounded good.

They weren’t concerned, due to the fact, they saw themselves as an Alpha...so got into their minds apparently, they needn’t be fazed as nobody would be in charge of them.

Surely, others have seen them too ?
I don’t quite understand what you are implying, but at the end of the day, we all need to deal with other people. Good luck with your situation.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Some great posts there everyone, thanks for them all, I will try and answer in one go rather than seperately.

The Shieling Project is hugely inspiring and the crofting principle is highly practical, but I expect the "basic" look in the video, especially on a overcast and damp day will put a lot of people off and get them thinking "muddy cold commune" as much as community.

Tinkers Bubble in Somerset is another great project with similar ideas and concepts, but one look at that site and its slow pace of development might not appeal to so many people either. Another very nice group of people though.
http://tinkersbubble.org/

The Findhorn project is at the complete opposite end of the scale, but equally has its merits and goes to show what can be done with plenty of funding behind you. It has developed over the years way beyond everyone's expectations from what I understand.
https://www.findhorn.org/

On a more personal note and close to our hearts is "Blatusa" in central Croatia. Again it is somewhat basic looking due to limited funds, but it hits the mark in terms of its manageable size and the groups commitment to building community spirit is very genuine, perhaps in part as its residents comprise a wide range of family units and age groups, who came from all over Europe and South Africa.
https://ekoseloblatusa.com/?lang=en

We are in our 50's now and of an age where we have some capital behind us and can afford to buy a reasonable property and live [frugally] off our pensions, savings and whatever work and barter we put our minds too. We want enough private space around us to grow a decent amount of our own fruit and veg and not have to listen to our neighbours music or rows.

We dont want to live under canvas or in a caravan again while building our home, we've done that enough times already. We want proper walls and a roof, solid floors, power sockets, running water and heating without trudging through 12" deep mud in wellies for 6 months of the year. All we want is to move somewhere suitable, into a proper house, with neighbours at a decent arms length away, that have similar views to coping with life as we do. No power trips. No councils or committees. Just a bit of common sense and respect along side like minded people. Trust takes time to develop however and would hopefully build over time.

It's not the first time we have done something like this, we started something similar from scratch 20 years ago and ended up with a [loose] community of about 30 friends, mates and acquaintances, the closet couple lived a few hundred yds away, the furthest being 20 a mins drive. We didn't see each other everyday but someone was always planning a get together of some sort at least on a monthly basis. No one lived in anyone's pocket and your personal privacy was whatever you chose it to be. But we all knew that if there was a problem, serious or otherwise, we could call on any number of people who would come and help us without question or delay. We were sad to leave that experience behind and realise now just how much we miss it, especially as we get older and [less?] wiser. As in any community those who were fortunate enough to have an income or pension etc and could afford to pay for any work they needed doing did so, but would spend the money with other members of our [loose] group first wherever possible. I also found bartering was a wonderful thing to learn and accept.

Everyone has their own ideas and preconceptions of what lies ahead, ours may be more pessimistic than some, but more realistic than others. If our visions for the future turn out to be correct, then we will be part of a [loose] community that can handle some of the problems we face collectively, as friends who are equally committed and prepared as everyone else. If the future turns out to be rosy with no societal, economic or other major problems, we will still just be living alongside good people in a lovely area of the country somewhere.

Think that covers everything?.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"