Potential UK power failure

Homes and Retreats
diamond lil

Re: Potential UK power failure

Post by diamond lil »

Oh yes, go with what you've got. We have to adapt and do the best we can, always.
billy56

Post by billy56 »

I have a 8kv "silent" diesel generator with a 30 litre tank and approx 150 l in a drum, manually switch over box installed a few years ago for we were having a few cuts to service, and as usual we have had no power problems since I fitted it :D
but it's there if we ever need it!
unsure

Post by unsure »

billy56 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:17 pm I have a 8kv "silent" diesel generator with a 30 litre tank and approx 150 l in a drum, manually switch over box installed a few years ago for we were having a few cuts to service, and as usual we have had no power problems since I fitted it :D
couldn`t agree more , i did the same thing for the same reasons .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

unsure wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:48 pm
billy56 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:17 pm I have a 8kv "silent" diesel generator with a 30 litre tank and approx 150 l in a drum, manually switch over box installed a few years ago for we were having a few cuts to service, and as usual we have had no power problems since I fitted it :D
I’m drawn to having a generator but even with 150l of fuel, it would only buy you 3 or 4 days of power. Hardly seems worth it as a prep given the relative cost of tins of food and power de sort of modern lithium battery packs?

Happy to be convinced otherwise but struggling with the logic. Correction welcomed!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Bosworth wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:37 pm
I’m drawn to having a generator but even with 150l of fuel, it would only buy you 3 or 4 days of power. Hardly seems worth it as a prep given the relative cost of tins of food and power de sort of modern lithium battery packs?

Happy to be convinced otherwise but struggling with the logic. Correction welcomed!

Way I look at it i wouldn't run mine 24/7, but 2/3 hours a day to keep the freezers and fridge happy and to run the boiler for a time for us all to have a shower or baths plus the heating last thing along with the showers if needed this would make the fuel last a long time even with 50l of petrol. (20l in generator tank "in use" and 30l in Jerry cans... Worst case I've got the 2x cars fuel tanks to go at as well
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

I agree with your cost/benefit assessment and it is similar to mine. I have not prepped for power outage directly due to several factors. Firstly I think you would stand out quite a lot in a major shtf situation with grid down. Being the only house with lights on would attract far to much attention.

My current plan is I have lots of candles, I have lots of acoustic musical instruments, books and other entertainment bits and pieces like monopoly etc. I also have a very small fridge and freezer with not much inside. I dehydrate most of my crops, and have built up a good stock of veg by buying say 7 packs of frozen sweetcorn and drying them, different veg each week and the stocks built up quick. We also have off grid tools, hand saws, chisels and planes even a treadle sowing machine. I would rather prep for going without power than trying to buy myself a few days/hours at quite a high cost.

Long term I am planning a solar system to run my ham radios, tv and sat system along with various other little bits and pieces but not much I would rather not have the power tbh
jansman

Post by jansman »

Up until about 3 years ago,I considered a generator to be essential.My plan was like Yorkshire Andy : run the freezers etc. However,as the family gradually left home,the need for a lot of freezer capacity dropped right off.Couple that with the fact that a gennie tends to produce ' dirty' power,it isn't perfect for modern electronics.So I flogged it.It was a big ex- site gennie,and was piggin' noisy! Ihave no regrets about selling it.In the event of a powercut we have LED battery and solar lighting.We heat with wood and coal anyway.Another upside to being without a generator,is not having to store fuel.

Mind you,it's horses for courses.What suits me,won't suit those who have a need for such equipment.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
unsure

Post by unsure »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:15 am

Way I look at it i wouldn't run mine 24/7, but 2/3 hours a day to keep the freezers and fridge happy and to run the boiler for a time for us all to have a shower or baths plus the heating last thing along with the showers if needed this would make the fuel last a long time even with 50l of petrol. (20l in generator tank "in use" and 30l in Jerry cans... Worst case I've got the 2x cars fuel tanks to go at as well

ine runs on petrol with a propane set up , as far as i`m aware theres no set limit on gas .so,long as its stored away from the house and seeing you can find propane bottles every were and have the adaptor for filling them . then i`ll keep getting them
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Being a part time van dweller now, I have a 200 watt solar panel on the roof linked to a 230ah leisure battery, I have a 12 volt compressor fridge (bloody expensive for how big it is), a 500watt diesel heater, various led lamps etc so I think I would fare better than some should the juice go off for any length of time. In this sunny weather the panel produces more power than I use. A propane gas bottle powers my two burner stove.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
billy56

Post by billy56 »

Only seeing this now, I would be using it in the same way, running the heating and hot water etc.
But I would be able to charge my batteries, power banks as well and then run the inverter for TV, Internet etc to be used at night time.
I had the money at the time to do this, or I would probably have blew it on some other reckless idea!
So it works for me and because it is diesel at a pinch you could use heating oil (with a suitable lubricant) which is easily acquired! :lol: