corona virus and the safety of your home.

Homes and Retreats
HomeHardener

Re: corona virus and the safety of your home.

Post by HomeHardener »

Similar to myself, I’ve had my partner lock the doors when I leave for work and instructed her to use the peep hole or check the camera before answering a knock at the door.
We have three dogs too so them barking alone is hopefully enough to scare of any unwanted visitors.
I have a 5 month old too, so less worried about food and more worried about dog food and baby milk (luckily we have plenty of milk) and I stocked up on the dog food yesterday. once everyone’s stopped worrying about themselves I feel this will be the next panic buy situation, pet food!
I could be wrong
@Homehardening_uk
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:22 pm
Deeps wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:19 pm
Plymtom wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:12 pm

This is Plymouth I lock the door between trips to unload the car, and the car of course, I couldn't do more without a family member guarding so to speak :lol:
Being a bit of a hick we're the other way, had my shed unlocked for years, only started locking it when we had travellers staying a couple fields over. Now I've two sheds and they're generally unlocked as we've managed to move the travellers on. I will be locking the sheds as I've a few bits and bobs in them. The house is generally unlocked unless we're out though, while the 2 big dugs are soft, the missus is fierce. :)
2 summers ago we got bumped by the local scallys I'd left the shed door open ... They CTRed by banging on the front door and Mrs A answered in her dressing gown (we had been putting a bigger pond in) I was getting out the shower as she was going to get in as he knocked asking if "Dave" was in.. she came up to tell me what had happened (she said try opposite and he didn't go there)

as I looked out the back bedroom window one was coming over nextdoors fence with door knocker keeping look out from the bridge that overlooks us

As I got to the backdoor I exited in my boxers just as he was about to vault the fence into our garden he ducked down ...

Ever the prepper there was a hand axe on the side by the door from splitting wood for the wood pizza oven I'd used the night before which was on the pile of crap to put back in the shed ....

Imagine a 15 stone 5.8ft fatty in his boxers with a axe ... it had the desired effect it was instant arming it wasn't there as a weapon it's in the shed most of the time hung out the reach of little fingers ...

I Walked down to the shed cracked a can of beer stood in the door 15 minutes he laid the other side of the fence in nextdoors yard I spent the time with a file sharpening said axe shaving my arm from time to time for the benefit of his lookout...

Mrs a was on hold to the police by then he had vaulted nextdoors driveway gate and run up the street like a scalded cat..... Not had a problem since the word in a small area spreads that the home owner is a nutter :tinfoil
Haha! That’s brilliant!
I bet the bloke was terrified and wish he hadn’t of got out of bed that day.
As you say though, no ‘weapons’ to hand. Just useful household items, that’s the way to do it!
@Homehardening_uk
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

We don't discuss weapons on here generally as it gets all sort of bad press / unwanted attention I've got tools :D ...

Just been to check the back door is locked before heading upstairs there's a bowsaw, a pruning saw, a mora knife and staple gun which Mrs a has piled up whilst I've been at work used yesterday down the allotment (,tree pruning / cleaning and bubble wrapping the greenhouse) plus random screws which I'm guessing she found in the Washing machine :lol:

Ps the current blank and green Lidl pruning saw is crap compared to last year's yellow and blank one (it's teeth are dull)

We've got the basic home security covered decent snap resisting bs ts007 *** locks on both doors

An alarm plus outside lighting a spring loaded front gate (makes a quick escape difficult). Back way is gated and locked
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

All of my tools are in the shed but many household items could be adapted if need be.
I have the abs attack series locks, ss312 and ts007 *** also.
I’m yet to have permitter lighting on my driveway/side passage which bugs the hell out of me but I do have motion activated front and rear lights and a ring doorbell which is useful.

I have strips for the fence and gate but I’m reluctant to put them up as I don’t want to stand out! All being new builds nobody even has trellis or similar, I feel if I was to fit something I’d actually put myself into a spotlight and thus making me a higher target.

I also have baby gates at the front and rear doors which if rattled in the slightest grabs my dogs attention even when asleep, a pretty useful additional barrier even though it may not seem it.

Nobody round my way has locks on their gate bolts which really frustrates me! I have an upper and a lower.
@Homehardening_uk
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I've also noticed the fire services "it only takes one accident to start a fire" infomercial running on nearly every advert break last night

Suppose if everyone is stuck at home the risks of house fires increase
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Been burgled previously in a different home and said "never again" but realise that's not realistic.

This house has nails and barbed wire atop all (6' high) fencing and gates, double locks and padlocks on everything outside, 8 camera system with recording and smart phone link up, dummy alarm box outside, working room alarms inside with panic button by bed, bear spikes under ground floor windows, mirror film on ground floor glass doors and windows, flood lights with infra red and a Yorkie that barks at his own shadow and bites like a pit bull.

Also wont detail the "other" items we are not allowed to mention on this forum. 8-)

Overkill? Not in my book. We sleep well at night thanks.

EDIT;
Our allotment is in a our back garden so could become a target later on when scalawags food supplies start to dwindle.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

HomeHardener wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:24 pm All of my tools are in the shed but many household items could be adapted if need be.
Something I considered:
In my shed were grubbing mattock pickaxe, spade, axe, sledgehammer etc. Since the shed was locked with just two flimsy padlocks, I reconsidered and relocated them.
Never underestimate the damage that a burglar would be prepared to do and don't give him the tools to do it.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Once in our own place we have never left anything unlocked on purpose, house, car, if the kids can return home with a key and not be noticed there's no doubt bad people would try, in fact we have heard the door handle being tried quite often.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:40 am Been burgled previously in a different home and said "never again" but realise that's not realistic.

This house has nails and barbed wire atop all (6' high) fencing and gates, double locks and padlocks on everything outside, 8 camera system with recording and smart phone link up, dummy alarm box outside, working room alarms inside with panic button by bed, bear spikes under ground floor windows, mirror film on ground floor glass doors and windows, flood lights with infra red and a Yorkie that barks at his own shadow and bites like a pit bull.

Also wont detail the "other" items we are not allowed to mention on this forum. 8-)

Overkill? Not in my book. We sleep well at night thanks.

EDIT;
Our allotment is in a our back garden so could become a target later on when scalawags food supplies start to dwindle.
I don’t think there’s such a thing as overkill when it comes to home security,
Your protecting your shelter, your source of hygiene, food and your FAMILY, weather they be partners, children or pets.

I don’t disagree with your fence spikes and barbed wire, but just a note to add.
If a intruder injured themselves on said defences they can actually take you to court. Ridiculous I know but just putting it out there.
@Homehardening_uk
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:05 am
HomeHardener wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:24 pm All of my tools are in the shed but many household items could be adapted if need be.
Something I considered:
In my shed were grubbing mattock pickaxe, spade, axe, sledgehammer etc. Since the shed was locked with just two flimsy padlocks, I reconsidered and relocated them.
Never underestimate the damage that a burglar would be prepared to do and don't give him the tools to do it.
Precisely, I actually stupidly keep my dustbins down my driveway/side passage which would make climbing my fence a walk in the park, need to get them moved into my garden ASAP.
I do also have fence strips to install on the gate and fence. Trouble is nobody else in the area has them so I don’t want to visually draw attention to myself
@Homehardening_uk