Internet- based heating controls

Homes and Retreats
jansman

Re: Internet- based heating controls

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:11 pm Funny looking on face stalk there's hell on bt are working on the mobile telephone mast and it's knocked out O2 and its side loaded affiliates such as Tesco mobile
So folks will be in meltdown I guess? Sunday our internet dipped out for an hour or so. Mrs J freaked a little. I read a book.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:22 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:11 pm Funny looking on face stalk there's hell on bt are working on the mobile telephone mast and it's knocked out O2 and its side loaded affiliates such as Tesco mobile
So folks will be in meltdown I guess? Sunday our internet dipped out for an hour or so. Mrs J freaked a little. I read a book.
If its a short term thing I freak out too, we're that used to having the internet at our beck and call. If it was lost longer term like most of us more 'wise and mature' (or just old) types would get used to it again. I've got other things to keep me amused but I'll be honest, my 'go to' is online for so much of my current entertainment.

No Alexa/Hive/Smart meter here though, it would cause interference with my tinfoil hat. :lol:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

The internet is my lifeline. I talk to pals on it, I order groceries on it, books and clothes and xmas stuff, everything really, because I live too far out/am too decrepit to trek into town for it. But I would survive without it if I had to, just with a much more limited choice. The Alexa and fancy heating stuff are just frills to me, just another thing to miss if it went down.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:54 am The internet is my lifeline. I talk to pals on it, I order groceries on it, books and clothes and xmas stuff, everything really, because I live too far out/am too decrepit to trek into town for it. But I would survive without it if I had to, just with a much more limited choice. The Alexa and fancy heating stuff are just frills to me, just another thing to miss if it went down.
As I said, you have to take from it that which suits you. Whilst Mrs J was laid up after surgery, she did all of her Christmas shopping online. I have too. In your remote situation Lil, it makes sense. My brother also lives remotely, and is able to function on a modern level because of his 4G connectivity.

As you point out, Alexa and internet controlled heating/lighting/kettle are just frills. To me anyway.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Me three with the frills. Food, finances, friends ... its a lot. Because of the internet, my standard of living is much higher than it would otherwise be but as several have said, I'd survive without it. I might mourn the loss of a few cat videos though :mrgreen:
jansman

Post by jansman »

It's interesting that internet heating systems,and smart meters too,are supposed to make your home more energy efficient.That is rather a paradox when you consider the energy consumed by internet servers.

https://www.independent.co.uk/environme ... 30086.html

Robert Frost.

Me.