Panic room

Homes and Retreats
ForgeCorvus

Re: Panic room

Post by ForgeCorvus »

You could also fit an old fashioned door bar.
Couple of different modern examples
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaCZgIalZz4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... r0N3gmtQTo

Or a brace-bar like this
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

Interesting topic.Looking at this from the point of view of my own home,there is a simple solution.Our solid wood stairs door opens out,not in,and locks from the stairs side.It would take some forcing.That is after the downstairs alarm has gone off,or we have pressed the panic alarm on the fob,or the dog most certainly starts yapping.By this time,I have unlocked the shotgun cabinet at the back of our bedroom...after ringing plod of course!

Made me think about home invasion though.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

Some great responses on here!
Il try my best to reply to what I’ve seen.
Luckily for me once we move in it’ll only need to be the master bedroom I need to worry about, baby isn’t due until November and I’m sure it’ll be in our room for a good while, so only one room to fortify.

My back up plan is the bedroom window, although there’s no room below so I need to have a think about how we’d exit (I figured a climbing rope round the bedframe is first choice but at 5 months pregnant I don’t think the Mrs will agree)
This option would obviously be beneficial should we need to escape from a house fire, god forbid.

In terms of doors, I am thinking to just purchase a security door, I can have it made to match all the existing house doors and it’ll mean I don’t need to worry about installing any locks or hardening the frame/hinges etc.

I was going to take the fire door route but there’s so much strength lost once you start fitting locks etc.
Not to mention by the time I buy the door, locks, hinges, ‘London bar/Birmingham bar’ as mentioned, I’ll be entering the price range Of the ready made security door.

Chances are we’ll never need this safety within the house but, better to be prepared and not need it right!
@Homehardening_uk
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

IMG_20190608_110054198.jpg
Fire escape ladder might be better

I've replaced the sill hooks with Rawl eyes into the brickwork about 2 foot under the sill fortunately our place is old grade 2 engineering bricks which ain't going nowhere quickly.... as our wall was too thick takes my weigh with ease and I'm not skinny
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

IMG_20190608_110104717.jpg
Like that with climbing carabineers with locking gates
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:57 pm You could also fit an old fashioned door bar.
Couple of different modern examples
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaCZgIalZz4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... r0N3gmtQTo

Or a brace-bar like this
I've similar to the old fashioned door bar but more basic - just a length of 2*4 for each external door cut to correct length and 4" screws already through them ready to be driven into door frame if need be. Not the strongest and they are out in the shed but it comes back to how likely you think you're going to need them.