No matter how isolated your bug out property is isn't someone eventually going to come knocking?

Homes and Retreats
nightowl

No matter how isolated your bug out property is isn't someone eventually going to come knocking?

Post by nightowl »

I was reading an article in favour of keeping mobile v buying a property. Obviously some of the problems with the former, unless you're on foot, are going to be fuel eventually running out, mechanical breakdowns etc. However, the issues that led to the preference for mobility were valid too. In a SHTF situation a lot of people are going to be running for the hills, probably without any great plan or the means to sustain themselves. No matter where you are in the UK isn't it just a matter of time before someone or some people come knocking? It's also likely that some of them are likely to be very desperate people. As the writer of the article said, what is someone with a wife and a couple of young kids going to do?
hedgerowpete

Re: No matter how isolated your bug out property is isn't someone eventually going to come knocking?

Post by hedgerowpete »

there is no where on the British isles you can hide from anyone. that secret bug out area you know, so do others. including the legal owner and their families. Anyone with a basic map and compass can find any secret location any where in the world.

post poop the risks increase, at the moment everyone is static and fixed, tied to houses and bricks and mortar. destroy those houses or bricks and make people more transiant, more mobile and the risks of being stumbled upon is going to sky rocket.

if you plan is to bug out to bobs moor and eat wild animals and "bushcraft" forget it :lol: :lol:
what is now today a lonely moorland of 20,000 acres will become flooded with other hungrey people.

now whilst you and the family can defend your selves durring the day what happens at night, or day after day as they keep coming, seeing or hearing you or smelling you. the other isue, you build yourself a nice fort and have stone walls and 500 other like minded people join in. great so you can defend your fort, but what about defending the crops or the animals outside the walls

your bugging out area is only good if it can support you. if i come through as a big townie poaching gang slaughter every thing to sell tomorrow to the hungrey hoards, what are you going to eat next week, when you run out of food again?

to survive you need to self perpetuate a food supply and bugging out makes that a very difficult thing to do. it makes being found increasinly easier for others.

to anyone that says, you will never find me, i offer this spark of wisdom. every single inch of the united kingdom is surveyed and maped, we were the first country in the world to do so. our mapping skils made it posible for the empire to map and record Canada, India and most of Africa and Austrailia. now if we are able to map a whole contitant with rudamentry tools and and stiff upper lip. we have certainly done so over your secret bug out area. for £9 i can buy a map of your area, site down at night and read that map and see those features you have liked and seen, that protective cliff, those caves, that wooded area to the left of the stream. all of it is public knowledge and freely availible. i can site in Birmingham and thanks to google mapping. i can walk down the country lanes of Orkney and see areas i like.

yes bug out, if thats your plan, but dont think the animals are going to stay and that the other million people in that area dont know where you are
jansman

Re: No matter how isolated your bug out property is isn't someone eventually going to come knocking?

Post by jansman »

I totally agree with hedgerowpete.Why would I want to run away from my property to live in a hole/ wood/ moor/ cave ? On our property ,I have sustainable food supply,water too. If we had to evacuate,say because of a gas leak,we would go to family or a hotel.Not the woods in Winter.Even if the house was damaged,heaven forbid,we have alternative accommodation on- site.

Leaving your home with no destination or plan makes you a Refugee.Have a read of this:

http://duncanlong.com/science-fiction-f ... ckpack.htm
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

This is also a great read, about a real but localised Event.
http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs ... /0001.html
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

nightowl wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:01 am I was reading an article in favour of keeping mobile v buying a property. Obviously some of the problems with the former, unless you're on foot, are going to be fuel eventually running out, mechanical breakdowns etc. However, the issues that led to the preference for mobility were valid too. In a SHTF situation a lot of people are going to be running for the hills, probably without any great plan or the means to sustain themselves. No matter where you are in the UK isn't it just a matter of time before someone or some people come knocking? It's also likely that some of them are likely to be very desperate people. As the writer of the article said, what is someone with a wife and a couple of young kids going to do?
Obvious answer is a home of some sort with all the benefits of shelter and growing space which cover probably 98-99% of potential problems and a vehicle for those just in case moments .Better still if that house is paid for and not in low lying flood plains or at the bottom of an unstable mountain . Pretty much what a lot of people have anyway. I can get around 600 miles out of my transit and should be able to double that with jerry cans. But that's all assuming the roads are clear enough , I have somewhere to go and haven't already used that fuel in general day to day use in the long slow crash.
As it is I'm not altogether sure of the validity of the idea that thousands of people will run to the hills . It would take something very severe and extraordinary for most to leave home . We're probably talking something like a tsunami or invasion to get anything more than localised displacement and the majority will probably try to stick to roads to make their escape. Even with huge oil inputs this country can't grow enough food , without some sort of large scale die off that would only get worse and a die off brings with it problems of corpses etc . Perhaps the real answer to mobility is to have the ability to leave this country completely.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

grenfell wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:02 pmAs it is I'm not altogether sure of the validity of the idea that thousands of people will run to the hills .
I can imagine a small percentage doing it - the fantasists who think there's enough wildlife in the UK to live off - but I imagine the die-off rate would be tremendous, very soon.
It would take something very severe and extraordinary for most to leave home . We're probably talking something like a tsunami or invasion to get anything more than localised displacement and the majority will probably try to stick to roads to make their escape. Even with huge oil inputs this country can't grow enough food , without some sort of large scale die off that would only get worse and a die off brings with it problems of corpses etc .
I'm finally getting round to reading Afterlight, the Alex Scarrow book, which is really interesting and much better than I feared.
Perhaps the real answer to mobility is to have the ability to leave this country completely.
Yes! I've also read quite a few series on kindle, FOC, where ships are important - I'd quite fancy a small cruise ship, maybe something as small as a Mersey ferry for a normal-sized family, space to live, fish from, run solar panels and windmills, grow microgreens, process the food, store firewood. Its not a forever solution, but its a solution of a sort.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:30 pm
Yes! I've also read quite a few series on kindle, FOC, where ships are important - I'd quite fancy a small cruise ship, maybe something as small as a Mersey ferry for a normal-sized family, space to live, fish from, run solar panels and windmills, grow microgreens, process the food, store firewood. Its not a forever solution, but its a solution of a sort.
I'd suggest living on a vessel is just as big a fantasy as running off to the woods unless you know what you're doing. Even if it was just anchored offshore they require a fair bit of maintenance and if it was 'movable' either by sail or engine you have a whole lot of other issues to consider.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Oh absolutely its a fantasy, I was mentioning it in terms of Alex Scarrow's apocafic after all :mrgreen: Even switching it on, let alone steering and maintaining. And if someone tried to gain those skills so that they *could* do it, they'd stand out a mile in navigation/ boating/ yachting circles. But people do it for other reasons: a friend I made when I was au pairing in France lived on a boat moored in the harbour in Marseille, open to the sea of course. There are a few people who use narrow boats because of the cost of living. For me *now*, not a chance, the only possible "bug out" location for me is my sister's house, ten miles away :) If anything really massive happened, I'd be a casualty statistic, because of my age, state of health and location. My aim would be to last long enough to ensure that family in the next generation down knew about my stuff and knew how to use it. They have small children themselves, so any cushion I could give them would be helpful.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I suppose on the surface ships or planes for that matter would make the ideal bug out vehicle in that they make international travel possible . However , it does make me wonder just what sort of emergency would make this country untenable while leaving the outside world unafffected or relatively unaffected .
Biggest problem as I see it with remaining permanently mobile is food and fuel , it makes them both a very finite resource. Even nuclear powered ships which in theory could sail for years at a time still have to restock with food for the crews at regular intervals .
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

grenfell wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:22 am I suppose on the surface ships or planes for that matter would make the ideal bug out vehicle in that they make international travel possible . However , it does make me wonder just what sort of emergency would make this country untenable while leaving the outside world unafffected or relatively unaffected .
My image of it is a bit different (though there's a few kindle books that manipulate the weather to produce that scenario). I was thinking, mooring just out of sight of land, or between two uninhabited islands (insufficient to sustain life in themselves, but good moorings and harbours). Fingal's Cave! I bet that'd be a focal point for people :) Then coming back to land as the madness wore down a bit. It's fantasy, a bit of a derail from the OP, sorry.