Homes and Retreats
Yorkshire Andy

heating

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well kids in bed my new toy came today courtesy of aldi

https://www.rothenberger-industrial.com ... -2000-234/

https://www.aldi.co.uk/portable-gas-hea ... 1246405900

Cirtainly belts out some heat....

One thing puzzling me the likes of calor gas heaters fine to use inside providing you allow specific ventilation eg:
Screenshot_20190130-221011.png

52cm² is next to nothing in terms of vent size for 4kw output

yet every smaller gas heater I've come across has the generic use outside only warning.... Yet this one comes with the same oxygen depletion sensor as per calor gas heaters

Wonder if this is a generic cover their backside warning just like the only use genuine 'A' brand gas it's a generic en417 cartridge for goodness sake ... Almost like vauxhall saying only use shell fuel .....

Yes I know about carbon monoxide... And always use / have decent bsi approved alarm in the living area and it still has a legacy vent from the old back boiler which I keep clean and clear

Mention so much as using a gas stove or heater on a camping forum in a family tent the camping forum residents jump up and down as if your making some form weapon of mass destruction dispite our tent having a area for the cooker....(and ventilation)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Re: heating

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Then you get helpful "advice' from the bio ethanol fireplace manufacturers
Like,:
12. Do I have to ventilate the room when the fire is on?

Unlike gas or wood-burning fireplaces, there is no need for a flue or chimney in a room with a bio ethanol fireplace. That being said, bio ethanol fires consume some of the oxygen in the room, which means that fresh air needs to be let in once in a while. If the air in the room gets stuffy, the room feels too hot or you experience any headaches or discomfort, simply open a window for a few minutes and leave the door ajar to improve air circulation.
Screenshot_20190130-222945.png
Or a minimum room size ^

With no mention of ventilation
Attachments
Screenshot_20190130-222945.png

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

So what are you saying exactly. If you take precautions then it is fine to use this type of heater indoors? As you can with those big hulking things
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Am thinking the new heaters are much more efficient at burning the gas than older ones but manufacturers just covering their rear end and leaving warnings on. Also doesnt CO sink, so if you used in house -where everyone sleep on their high beds or sit on sofas etc- it is less of an issue
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Stonecarver wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:36 pm Am thinking the new heaters are much more efficient at burning the gas than older ones but manufacturers just covering their rear end and leaving warnings on. Also doesnt CO sink, so if you used in house -where everyone sleep on their high beds or sit on sofas etc- it is less of an issue
That's what I'm pondering....... I think there's a massive risk aversion with manufacturers ... On a caravan forum recently "NEVER USE A GAS HEATER IN A AWNING CO! CO! CO!" When asked if they have a gas hob and a oven in their van...... They don't answer.

CO Is heavier than air to a degree CO² is heavier ;)

Co alarm instructions on ours stated site at head hight in a living area or sleeping height if put in a bedroom

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Stonecarver wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:24 pm So what are you saying exactly. If you take precautions then it is fine to use this type of heater indoors? As you can with those big hulking things

Well it's a risk I'm looking at if shtf I'm thinking of getting a new co alarm with ppm display

Appin

Post by Appin »

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Appin wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:03 am Carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air

So it rises.

https://healthybuildingscience.com/2013 ... ide-facts/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3ACa ... e_detector

I stand corrected ;)

Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

That fact seems to be a common misconception then. Somebody tell that youtube guy he has his detector in the wrong place :o
You're plans changed by this new piece of info Andy?
Jansman