A GSM alarm system for a shed, suggestions

Homes and Retreats
hedgerowpete

A GSM alarm system for a shed, suggestions

Post by hedgerowpete »

I have a shed/ garage, its beyond reach of a cable run and of a house wifi system.

there is no 230volt power so i wanted to use a car battery of some form. most alarm systems run on 12v dc anyway.
battery charging and changing is not a concern. as there is a weekly visit to it.

i want text alerts or messages or calls when activated. so i want a GSM system

it needs a door magnetic contact sensor in the system for when the door is opened. a PIR is optionable but the main is going to be the front door opening. it also needs an out put for a bell. i can use that via a relay to work a more powerfull siren and strobe.

is there any suggestions you would add?
where do i look? and what sort of costs do i look at? ( cheaper is best)
any ideas on caravan alarms, or shed alarms of house alarms being used
korolev

Re: A GSM alarm system for a shed, suggestions

Post by korolev »

I don't know of any "off the shelf" systems but making one using an arduino and GSM shield should be pretty straightforward.

How far is it from the house ? Is running a (low voltage) cable out of the question ?
hedgerowpete

Post by hedgerowpete »

, i caan not link any wire to the garage as its is not in the same garden area but at the end of another street.

i was looking at cheap chinese house alarms that take a sim card and working as that as the base unit. the battery back up can be from a car battery and would last a week between charges. it also has all the outputs i want, but the costs to buy a large unit for not very much use and a heavier battery drain for the larger unit, made me start the conversation of if there is other options
korolev

Post by korolev »

You got a link to the alarm you're looking at ?
hedgerowpete

Post by hedgerowpete »

first up the super cheap £15 job, that might or most probabley might not work. but it is an option
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5863-1pcs-In ... 3534913518
it seems too cheap and a tad naff but fair play it might just do the job, i dont think theres an easy way to work on it without stripping it from its case and hard wiring in connections and relay triggers

option two is the home house alarm, i had brought one of these units and whilst they do work they do show there price, but the up side is it is designed to allow a battery feed and hard wired inputs and out puts and you can use flobs to switch the alarm on and off, price wise we are talking £35, plus the extras which apply tot he other units too,
so a sounder is £15
car battery is free but still a cost, so is recharging it when needed.
a roll of alarm cable is £10
PIR unit i already have at home but still a £15 cost to someone one without it.
all of it need to go in a cage or protective box or frame, i favour gas flue protection cages at £15, but you can all ways weld one up your self if you can do so.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-433Mhz-R ... 2494736579

finally and the one i am seriously thinking of at the end of the month is this unit
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-GSM ... 1870623399
£24 all in with the pir and sounder as well, i need to find out more about it and its suitablle use and enviroment, but at first look it does tick a lot of boxes
korolev

Post by korolev »

That's cheap stuff. I take back my reference to using an Arduino; whilst it's eminently possible it would be significantly more expensive, somewhere around £50-£100.
And you'd have to build/code it (not difficult, but a bit fiddly)
hedgerowpete

Post by hedgerowpete »

korolev wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:49 am That's cheap stuff. I take back my reference to using an Arduino; whilst it's eminently possible it would be significantly more expensive, somewhere around £50-£100.
And you'd have to build/code it (not difficult, but a bit fiddly)
i am not an Arduino twiddler so i wont go down that route, i wanted a pre made unit i can use as a back bone and rework from a fixed point.