"Impossible Builds" on More4

Homes and Retreats
Deeps

Re: "Impossible Builds" on More4

Post by Deeps »

Just watched the second one, seemed a 'nicer' house and again, what a stunning view although no mention of how far to pop out for a pint of milk. ;)
peejay

Post by peejay »

Well I doubt they'll be taking a stroll to the local shop anyway...
peejay

Post by peejay »

The latest build is looking more like it from a sizing perspective. Polish company building the house this time - actually have quite a nice looking range of house designs available for what seems like quite sensible prices... https://www.dan-wood.co.uk
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

peejay wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:16 pm The latest build is looking more like it from a sizing perspective. Polish company building the house this time - actually have quite a nice looking range of house designs available for what seems like quite sensible prices... https://www.dan-wood.co.uk
I dare not look, I fancied doing the home build thing a while back (still fancy it) but Her Maj went from liking the idea to being against it when I started pushing to make it happen.
peejay

Post by peejay »

I'd love to do a self/custom-build. I can't stand the modern new-builds - comparatively small & on postage-stamp plots with everyone overlooking each other. :-/
Ara

Post by Ara »

Since my dad infected me with the disease back in the 70s I have wanted to design and build my own home. Trouble is, when I costed it some time ago I realised that for the price of where I was living, I wouldn't get anything bigger and it would be on a smaller plot. Some plots came up recently near where my sons live but you could buy a house there for the price of the plots. They all sold really quickly, nevertheless. From time to time I contemplate buying a new build - well insulated and easier and cheaper to heat than our stone built Victorian farmhouse but as you say, Peejay, overlooked postage stamp plots.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

peejay wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:21 pm I'd love to do a self/custom-build. I can't stand the modern new-builds - comparatively small & on postage-stamp plots with everyone overlooking each other. :-/
Plus if any wolf was passing by he would just have to THINK about blowing on it and it would fall over
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Stonecarver wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:21 pm
peejay wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:21 pm I'd love to do a self/custom-build. I can't stand the modern new-builds - comparatively small & on postage-stamp plots with everyone overlooking each other. :-/
Plus if any wolf was passing by he would just have to THINK about blowing on it and it would fall over
We're in a new build (well 15 years old now) and while we didn't want a new build, to our surprise,we've been delighted with it. Its solidly enough built and very efficient for heat. We only planned on staying in it for a couple of years but we're converts now. Its a pity about the wee gardens but its less grass to cut so every cloud an' all that. :D
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Deeps wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:05 pm
Stonecarver wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:21 pm
We're in a new build (well 15 years old now) and while we didn't want a new build, to our surprise,we've been delighted with it. Its solidly enough built and very efficient for heat. We only planned on staying in it for a couple of years but we're converts now. Its a pity about the wee gardens but its less grass to cut so every cloud an' all that. :D
I think your allotment makes up for the garden no?
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
jansman

Post by jansman »

When we bought this drum about thirty years ago,I wouldnt have given a thank you for a new build.A farmer has sold some land at the back of us and a housing association has been putting houses on it.On the flip side,a big building company is building on farm land up the road from here.

I would live in a housing association property in a heartbeat.Why? The insulation is fantastic! Those places will take no power to run,and that has to be the way forward.The private houses though,have nowhere near the insulation.There are obviously different rules about insulating new builds.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.