"Impossible Builds" on More4

Homes and Retreats
peejay

"Impossible Builds" on More4

Post by peejay »

Interesting program that seems to be detailing builds of new homes in rather difficult locations.

Ep 1 builds a house in an extremely remote-looking but utterly beautiful location in Scotland, overlooking a loch etc. but it was fairly modest in scale (and cost less to build than I expected, given it was effectively bespoke).

The thing that struck me was that with it being of modest size & on "Greenfield" site, i.e. no sheds/outbuildings etc. & fairly difficult to site such amenities - they didn't seem to have much capacity for "supplies" for what I must imagine would be inevitably harsh winters that could happen there!

Really small 8 mile single-track road which I would imagine would all but disappear in a proper snowstorm.

I hope they didn't get a nasty shock in their first winter!!!
Deeps

Re: "Impossible Builds" on More4

Post by Deeps »

I'll have a look mate, looks like my kind of thang. Cheers.
gadgetguy

Post by gadgetguy »

I have this on series link on Sky. It looks interesting. The house that was modular built was basically a holiday home/getaway retreat. Don't think it could be lived in all year without more work or storage on site.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Ah yes, that makes more sense, I didn't catch that bit in the prog.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Episode 2 is Outer Hebrides - Harris too so I'm sensing a theme...
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

You've prompted me to download the first and I'll do the same with the second, thanks again mate.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Still a pretty modest build in the second ep, but groundworks costs were a killer... Still not much storage for a harsh winter IMO & this one is definitely billed as a permanent residence rather than a holiday home.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Not loving the exterior of the first one, its the generic box but what a view....

I'd be happy to compromise the 'box' for that location. Would be a bit of a bugger getting to the football (or anywhere for that matter) but I do fancy moving to somewhere a bit more remote although THAT remote isn't a must.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Indeed. Second one is more "shed" than "box" but stunning location again.
Ara

Post by Ara »

Loved the location of last night's build - don't get views like that here although ours are pretty good - and noticed it also had a shed/garage but where was all their day to day stuff? Where were the dog beds/water etc. Where were the books? Other people must have a lot fewer belongings than we do as our living room has a wall of books plus dog bed, cat gym, magazine box etc etc.
I was impressed by how quickly it went up despite the weather.