Hidden retreat?

Homes and Retreats
Arwen Thebard

Re: Hidden retreat?

Post by Arwen Thebard »

"What I've done personally is taken the prepper mentality in looking for a house to buy, and choose the area with prepping in mind."

That's our preferred route also, but three years in and we are still looking and running out of time I reckon.

In an ideal world a skilled and equally financed small group would be able to acquire a decent parcel of land with water and woodland, with numerous well spaced buildings and....... (Oh then I wake up, Oh well back to dreamland ;) )
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jansman

Post by jansman »

We bought this drum 30 years ago.OK ,its in a terrace,but you don't get many houses with a 200' + garden ( and we own half of next door's too),functional well,solid outbuildings,good chimneys and a walk in pantry.I consider this to be a prepping retreat.Nobody knows except the kids and their partners,although I wonder what the neighbours make of the polytunnel and poultry.And rabbits.And the huge amounts of stacked firewood. :lol: :lol: :lol: You have to work with what you have,and I would not ( as previously stated) waste time and money without permission or ownership.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Drcamburn

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you work, you eat, it's as simple as that.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

It's an interesting concept, the minimal approach with tent, the only problem I see with it being that you're not very secure when you're inside the tent. And where are your supplies? And long term you'd go back to housing, I suppose, but what if it happens to be a really bad winter?

A breakdown to this level is really, really unlikely, but its a good exercise to work through. I suspect sleeping in your car would be safer, with a tent as daytime living and prep space!
Drcamburn

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Drcamburn wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:57 am Like i said in my first post I'm very much in the shelter at home camp of preppers on this forum. That post was literally, if i physically had to prepare a bug out location that's how I'd do it.
Asked and answered, in detail, thank you for that :)

I actually really like some of the suggestions you made - digging the toilet hole, edible planting, materials for a fire pit.
Bijela

Post by Bijela »

Buy a field you can have a horse and stable on. Build the stable with a spare room. You could try renting out the field to someone with a horse. To help paying a loan if you take one. You could keep the use of the room for storage or as a start point if you wanted to tunnel. You could then drive a car and trailer e.t.c. and load with earth. Any neighbour would proberly think your collecting horse #### for manure.
Drcamburn

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panther

Post by Panther »

Drcamburn wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:55 pm To be honest, if you were going to go to that sort of lengths to get a secret underground bunker, you might as well just go and buy a secret underground bunker.
Yes, there are many old ROC bunkers left over from the cold war in my part of the country; they come up for sale every now and then. I know some preppers have shown an interest in them in the past . Although some of them are still in remarkably good condition considering their age I've not been tempted. With only one entrance/exit it would be far too easy for some evil minded person to jam the door and seal you inside with no means of escape. A great hideaway but also a potential tomb!
There may be trouble ahead
But while there's moonlight and music
And love and romance
Let's face the music and dance
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Drcamburn wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:55 pm To be honest, if you were going to go to that sort of lengths to get a secret underground bunker, you might as well just go and buy a secret underground bunker.

Yup, I get the 'want' for a super secret bugout location, I have it myself but its just not practical for so many reasons, even if you own the land. If we're talking the more extreme forms of reasons to bug out then it will be 'might is right'.