Hidden retreat?

Homes and Retreats
Silverteeth

Hidden retreat?

Post by Silverteeth » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:15 am

What are all the best options for a hidden building or dwelling for a bug out retreat?

If somebody has some land in the UK and cant get permission to build anything, never being able to get planning permission for residential, but its ok to use for agriculture.

Some kind of earth sheltered, or underground dwelling, but which is simpliest and how to keep it hidden from property inspectors? And from the air?

I was thinking about some kind of earthship with south facing windows and then a good camo net over the windows?

Or just dont have any windows and keep it completely undergound?

What other options are the best?

preparedsurrey

Re: Hidden retreat?

Post by preparedsurrey » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:58 pm

Buy land with a cave or natural depression, the amount of soil/ rock/ clay you need to excavate and get rid of is phenomenal, I very much doubt it's the sort of thing you could get away with doing without someone noticing the amount of wagons coming and going and heavy machinery being used.

If you buy a house on a slope you may find you have a good sized void under your floor already.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....

jansman

Post by jansman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:21 pm

Have a look in the Homes and retreat section.'So you want to bury a shipping container' top of the page...
I am not grumpy. I just don’t waste words.

Plymtom

Post by Plymtom » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:31 pm

preparedsurrey wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:58 pm
the amount of soil/ rock/ clay you need to excavate and get rid of is phenomenal
I once asked a mate how his Rabbits managed to dig their homes without him seeing the spoil, apparently they go to great length to spread it out, which has me thinking would that solve the issue? Spread out the spoils.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:43 pm

Plymtom wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:31 pm
preparedsurrey wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:58 pm
the amount of soil/ rock/ clay you need to excavate and get rid of is phenomenal
I once asked a mate how his Rabbits managed to dig their homes without him seeing the spoil, apparently they go to great length to spread it out, which has me thinking would that solve the issue? Spread out the spoils.

It's all well going down but you have to keep the water out...... Both rain and ground water dig down a foot here and I hit water nearly all year round....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine

korolev

Post by korolev » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:27 am

Why am I thinking of Porridge ?

Mr McKay foils a plot to tunnel out and he asks Fletcher what they did with all the spoil. Fletcher replies "They dug another tunnel and put it all in there".

grenfell

Post by grenfell » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:07 am

It should be feasible to spread the waste over the top of any hideout so that it looks like some sort of natural hillock or mound. However , the reference to the great escape is close to a reality in that many tunnels were dug from pow camps and never used because they were discovered . The practicalities of building a bunker can be overcome but I would very much doubt that keeping it a complete secret are anywhere as easy.
Still best of British and all that.