Living in a van or off a small plot.

Homes and Retreats
Brambles

Re: Living in a van or off a small plot.

Post by Brambles »

Congrats. Like Jansman says it's going in the right direction. Camping sounds ideal. Would give you chance to decompress and enjoy a bit of open space. Really happy for you.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

DustyDog wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:48 am Thanks for replies as always, no cannot stay at mums, to far to commute, so for the immediate future I’ll stay in car, far from ideal but although they haven’t asked about convictions yet, they could when I give them my national insurance number etc, if they don’t ask I could stay on a camp site for a bit, would give me breathing space. Will see what Wednesday brings. K :roll:
Congratulations on getting the job!

As far as worrying about convictions, they can only find out if they do a CRB check, which they need your permission for, most jobs will rely on your own honesty when disclosing convictions, I've known companies have sections on the application asking about convictions and stating they will run a CRB check, but they actually don't because it costs money (about £10 last time i had one done) and this has to be paid for by the employer as it's at their request. However, most don't check and rely on people being honest if they believe that the check will be done.

In some cases honesty is a good thing; I've known a couple of people have problems with jobs as they didn't disclose convictions, but these were jobs with vulnerable people (one a teaching assistant, one a carer for the elderly) so the enhanced CRB which goes right back to school is done, and in both cases they thought the convictions were that old that they wouldn't either matter or show up.
In the case of the teaching assistant, she was able to appeal, state her case for not disclosing and managed to keep her job, with the Carer, he was dismissed for not disclosing, yet they said if he had disclosed initially, they would have accepted it, but they thought he'd been dishonest by not.

But these are cases with vulnerable people where the enhanced CRB has to be done legally, most jobs don't bother checking, so it comes down to if you feel your employer has a reason to check, but even if they do down the line, hopefully they'll value you as the person you are now, not by what happened in the past, and if you're a good worker, i'm sure they'd be fine.

So good luck with the new job, and hopefully your accommodation situation improves as well :)
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Dusty, do you have any restrictions about where you live? The thing that they really seem to like is informing them in advance - it must be such crap for you, but if you give them what they want on the admin level, you'll be more and more trusted, and they'll check less and less.

Hope it goes really well on Wednesday!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Well done on the job DD, hope it goes well.
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Thanks all, there are some restrictions, still not had a good sit down with probation yet, we’ll have got through to interview stage with the new Sainsburys opening in Kendal, had to put I had convictions on the online application so going to keep going with thst just in case the job on Wednesday hoes belly up. Cheers for all the support. :D
Up in the wet South Lakeland
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Just in case you need a fixed postal address

https://canalpost.uk/

Its a paid for service
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Ok job is fine, no awkward questions asked so I have full time work. :D Camping out for now to save some cash, only £9 a day, showers and loos, and only 5 miles from work, will have to move into something more solid and warm throughout winter, maybe see if I could get a long term b&b, i dunno, will see. Thanks for all the support ppl.

Forgecorvus, thanks have had a boatmail address for a while now, just in case.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Have you asked if there's any work on the campsite over winter or now to pay your rent and maybe a bit on top?
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

DustyDog wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:03 pm Ok job is fine, no awkward questions asked so I have full time work. :D Camping out for now to save some cash, only £9 a day, showers and loos, and only 5 miles from work, will have to move into something more solid and warm throughout winter, maybe see if I could get a long term b&b, i dunno, will see. Thanks for all the support ppl.

Forgecorvus, thanks have had a boatmail address for a while now, just in case.
That's great mate, step one complete. It gives you a bit of breathing space to sort out what you do next. A new work social circle might give you more options on the housing etc too, you might be cheaper renting a room in a flat than in a B&B. Now you're earning (and I'm guessing happy enough for now on the campsite) you can look at your options at the pace that works for you, more active than reactive I suppose.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Great news DD! 🙂