House Locks

Homes and Retreats
jennyjj01

House Locks

Post by jennyjj01 »

Right. SHTF. People start to get hungry, rule of law breaks down.

Burglary and gang related looting starts to target homes that might have resources. Rule of law can't keep up.

WOW! It is SO EASY to break into the average home (or shop), especially if you don't care about being subtle.

Go Google 'bump keys' or 'Euro lock snapping'

It transpires that your nice double glazed door with top quality 6 tumbler high security euro locks take maybe a minute to unlock. Needs either a set of freely available bump keys or a simple screwdriver and a pair of mole grips. I thought I was smart fitting 6 tumbler locks at about 7 quid a door, but youtube got me freaked out.

So, I suggest you buy (As I did) some yale 3* Platinum Euro locks at about 35 quid a door. Let billy burglar take one look and bu66er off down the road.

Seriously, as I walk down the high street in my local large village, I see major shops with euro door locks that I know I could open within one minute without even waking the neighbours. If I can do it, so can the hungry guy.

Bought locks. Next on my list Mole grips and bump keys :o)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Re: House Locks

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I've done it and subsequently upgraded our door locks there are several methods a wood screw and a claw hammer is easy too

When the front door failed to lock mechanism failed the council locksmith said "wow good locks didn't know they {the council} were fitting those.......

They weren't I did...

Had been a few burglarys locally as 2 scrotes had been let out and it was their MO....

FOR THOSE LOOKING FOR DECENT EURO LOCKS ENSURE THEY MEET:

BS TS-007 ***. (THREE STAR) the one star locks are not snap tested even though some have snap lines
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I agree that fitting decent locks is a good idea or a start at least. Couple I have worked for had good locks fitted but burglars "bypassed" those locks with the simple technique of lobbing a concrete garden ornament through the French door window. Noisy to a degree although the neighbours didn't hear anything.
Likewise in a similar vein there seems to be an ongoing weapons race with thieves targeting vans to steal tools. Manufacturers locks can be easily opened , people started fitting deadlocks and padlocks , thieves started what is known as "peel and steal" where they simply bend the door open from either top or bottom , people have reinforced their doors and thieves are now opening vans up tin can style.
Moral of all this is to look at as many aspects of security as possible.
Here's a new one to me at least , using blowtorches to gain entry,
https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... -1-9134899
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

grenfell wrote:I agree that fitting decent locks is a good idea or a start at least. Couple I have worked for had good locks fitted but burglars "bypassed" those locks with the simple technique of lobbing a concrete garden ornament through the French door window. Noisy to a degree although the neighbours didn't hear anything.
Likewise in a similar vein there seems to be an ongoing weapons race with thieves targeting vans to steal tools. Manufacturers locks can be easily opened , people started fitting deadlocks and padlocks , thieves started what is known as "peel and steal" where they simply bend the door open from either top or bottom , people have reinforced their doors and thieves are now opening vans up tin can style.
Yes. We must remember that if billy burglar doesn't care how much damage he does (and why would he) then melting your pvc door or lobbing a lump of your own concrete through a door is a soft option. You only have to see how cops break down a door to gain entry in a raid, and wonder how long your door would last. Hint, don't keep your sledge hammer and pick-axe in the garden shed,
But we have to start somewhere and euro locks are low hanging fruit for them and an easy fix for us. When SHTF, I'd hope to have a good secondary barrier in place, such as robust boarding up. It's all about delaying the inevitable while getting the next defence (or offence) ready.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

locks - standard
alarm system - for show
internal security system - interactive
Attachments
5316113-rottweiler-dog-wallpapers.jpg
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jennyjj01 wrote:
grenfell wrote:I agree that fitting decent locks is a good idea or a start at least. Couple I have worked for had good locks fitted but burglars "bypassed" those locks with the simple technique of lobbing a concrete garden ornament through the French door window. Noisy to a degree although the neighbours didn't hear anything.
Yes. We must remember that if billy burglar doesn't care how much damage he does (and why would he) then melting your pvc door or lobbing a lump of your own concrete through a door is a soft option. You only have to see how cops break down a door to gain entry in a raid, and wonder how long your door would last. Hint, don't keep your sledge hammer and pick-axe in the garden shed,
But we have to start somewhere and euro locks are low hanging fruit for them and an easy fix for us. When SHTF, I'd hope to have a good secondary barrier in place, such as robust boarding up. It's all about delaying the inevitable while getting the next defence (or offence) ready.

If they want to be in they will be in....

In my eyes making your home a bit more secure than those either side of you makes the opportunistic burglar move next door why? Because they usually are lazy and want a quick easy reward....

Decent door locks.... And secure hinges door won't open easy...

Net curtains .... Can't see exactly what's in the room and if they smash the glass they still have to get past a flimsy it of fabric

Alarm system makes a noise and attracts some attention if you have good neighbors (houses either side of us don't have an alarm)

Brush strip on the letter box .. or a cage . Stops them fishing through the letterbox

Clear garden of high shrubs so they can't work unseen

Pir lighting again draws attention that someone is about ( or the neighborhood cats are pooing in the garden)

Sheds are hard to secure but decent locks bars on the windows and decent door hinges and ideally a blind or mirror film on the window so you can't see in battery alarms are fairly cheap too)

Wonder what make of plastic door these are...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QAS7KIELx3I
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wonder what make of plastic door these are...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QAS7KIELx3I
I like, but was rather surprised by how the police attracted his attention... With a baton blow to the legs.
Imagine the same scenario if your house is the last one with food supplies, electricity and phones have been off for a month and the police are just as likely to be the ones breaking in.
Boil up some oil on your rocket stove? drop a petrol bomb onto the patio? confront him/them with some cutlery?

Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I dunno, makes sense to me. No point in running down a suspect if you can take out their legs at the first instance, you're pretty much guaranteed an arrest.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

He was armed with a crow bar, why take any risk ;)
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

^^and that. :mrgreen:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon