Vandal Proof Site Office

Homes and Retreats
Trojanhorse

Vandal Proof Site Office

Post by Trojanhorse »

We have all looked at looked at containers as BOL but has anyone considered one of these.

https://containercabins.co.uk/portable-cabins/ - I have no connection this company!

There is also some on ebay

They are not too expensive and they come in different sizes- transport might be an issue!

I also found some which are towable.

Thoughts?
xplosiv1

Re: Vandal Proof Site Office

Post by xplosiv1 »

you can get some pretty cheap ones (used) online but it's only an option as long as there is road access to your BOL unless you can pull it with a tractor / 4x4 on rollers.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

We had one of these, or something very similar for a location hq some years back, it seemed pretty solid. It would keep out your average yob pretty well. My only real concern was if your inside it's fairly easy to block you in, then your kippered.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I love those! The lack of need for planning permission because they're portable sounds good too - got to check that locally, of course.

Not seriously looking at a purchase - I don't have a BOL, and unless I win the big premium bond, I won't be getting one either, but I can dream.
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Arzosah wrote:I love those! The lack of need for planning permission because they're portable sounds good too - got to check that locally, of course.

Not seriously looking at a purchase - I don't have a BOL, and unless I win the big premium bond, I won't be getting one either, but I can dream.
Ia gree you could be blocked in but the same could be said of most small shelters etc - need a hole in the floor to the escape tunnel!
metatron

Post by metatron »

They are one of the more cost effective ways to put a livable space on any piece of land, the used ones are super cheap and they are prewired and insulated fairly well, at least the ones I've been in. They do bathroom ones too, fitted with showers, urinals and toilets. Most the ones I've seen can be moved with a rough terrain forklift.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I have experience of these via work . They are pretty decent for what they are and save a lot of set uptime and are as secure as can reasonably be expected. Some even came with a built in generator at one end to provide electricity for heating and lighting if there were no hook up available . That made it cheaper and above all safer than using gas for heating ( anybody remember the propane burners dubbed motorbikes ?) . I've seen them moved by rough terrain forklifts but more often they were lifted by onboard hiabs or cranes. Some had legs and could be unloaded by lowering those legs while on the lorry ( something like a 17 tonner) and lowered to the ground using pins and a small hydraulic jack.
defender130

Vandal Proof Site Office

Post by defender130 »

The empty weight of them is around 2 tons so even though they are in theory towable with a decent 3.5 ton rated 4x4 the length and height makes them a handful to keep under control

As grenfell said they are usually moved by hiab lorry these days and for good reason

That said if you have the land and privacy with tree screening you could build a nice little compound by stacking them end to end around in a square or rectangle if you bought them with the opening doors on the sides rather than ends, and a couple of secure gates between a couple of them so you have secure access into your compound

Single height you have a ready made 8 foot fence if you double stack them that's a hell of a fence for anyone to get through at 16 ft tall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

There's quite a bit of info on the internet and the idea of using shipping containers is well established so perhaps wouldn't raise too many eyebrows. Couple of random links , first is American but interesting none the less,
https://www.containerhomeplans.org/2015 ... iner-home/
https://www.container-housing.co.uk