When your SO completely fails as a prepper (light hearted)

Homes and Retreats
Medusa

When your SO completely fails as a prepper (light hearted)

Post by Medusa »

I have been away from home for a couple of days. I left on Saturday as the snow and wind started to take a hold and jokingly said to hubby that there was plenty of food, water and toilet roll plus a couple of meals to heat up in the fridge, candles, torches and an oil lamp in case of need whilst I was away. He laughed and said he knew that we are sorted for all of these things. Saturday night he phoned to inform me that there had been a power cut of two hours and that he had no way of making himself a cup of tea. I reminded him of the two wood burning stoves plus suitable kettle, the two barbeques, the calor gas camping stove we use each summer, the various small gas camping stoves, the Trangia and the solid fuel camping stove all of which he had completely forgotten about. I'm happy to report that he survived the two hours power outage without his brew, but he did feel a bit daft., bless him. I put it down to all the overtime he has been doing at work.
Growing old disgracefully!
Britcit

Re: When your SO completely fails as a prepper (light hearte

Post by Britcit »

Hopefully he will learn from his embarrassment and remember next.

My SO would be okay in a power outage as we have a gas stove, but the one thing she never seems to be prepared for are days when the wind is so bad we can't go out, and she runs out of cigarettes.
I score major brownie points by producing a pack I keep stashed for her, but I fear she has now got used to this and worries even less about running out. I now make her replace each stashed pack she uses with two more.

BTW, I don't smoke but I used to. I can live without leccy for ages, but I am not sharing a house with a dedicated smoker without cigarettes, so her stash is for my sanity.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

We have gas and lecky so getting the kettle on would be possible without breaking out camping gear, but I was just thinking there could be a case for laughter power cut wise if some preppers jump too quick to SHTF mode, but then I've never experienced a lengthy power cut, last time we had one, I went out into the street and saw workmen gazing into a hole they'd dug, and tootled back inside knowing it wouldn't be too long :lol: not a case of SHTF but prick hit the cable, that's one of the things about living in the middle of a city, power cuts are rare and short lived, even in the suburbs you are likely to be out long enough to want to break out the primus ;)

Just thinking a power cut would bring about that rare moment when all the kids appear at the same time.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

LOL. Reminds of a time when I heard a shout from the kitchen thusly "mum! Where's the sugar?" me "in the cupboard" him "but I can't find it" me "hang on a minute" I then went in and found him staring directly at the sugar. I pointed this out he said in his defence "but it's in a different bag" it wasn't :D but sometimes you just have to let it go :lol:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Where I am we had two lots of snow.

1) First snow. Worked finished early and I drove to the petrol station and stocked up food and fuel got home before road closed. The day before I prepared more wood for the burner- kindling etc. I had a great time and went walking in the snow.

2) Second snow. I was home but woke up in heavy snow and car was snowed in. I realized food was looking low and had a can of soup for breakfast.
Wood supply not good enough (I have loads of logs but still seasoning). I do have emergency rations but not much fun with a boxset! Our village shop has closed down so could not resupply (part of my plan) and I ended up in the village pub for dinner.

So despite thinking I was prepared I was not ether and only had myself to blame. Lesson learned and will not happen next time.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Trojanhorse wrote:Where I am we had two lots of snow.

1) First snow. Worked finished early and I drove to the petrol station and stocked up food and fuel got home before road closed. The day before I prepared more wood for the burner- kindling etc. I had a great time and went walking in the snow.

2) Second snow. I was home but woke up in heavy snow and car was snowed in. I realized food was looking low and had a can of soup for breakfast.
Wood supply not good enough (I have loads of logs but still seasoning). I do have emergency rations but not much fun with a boxset! Our village shop has closed down so could not resupply (part of my plan) and I ended up in the village pub for dinner.

So despite thinking I was prepared I was not ether and only had myself to blame. Lesson learned and will not happen next time.
That's what its all about, we all make mistakes, its how you move on from them.
junmist

Post by junmist »

Thank you this made me laugh and I did need it. One of the very first things I said when I started was if the power went out how was I going to make a cuppa never mind the ciooking or heating it was the tea that first came to mind
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
jansman

Post by jansman »

junmist wrote:Thank you this made me laugh and I did need it. One of the very first things I said when I started was if the power went out how was I going to make a cuppa never mind the ciooking or heating it was the tea that first came to mind
Tea is most important! I get the jitters when we are down to less than a dozen boxes of teabags! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

jansman wrote:
junmist wrote:Thank you this made me laugh and I did need it. One of the very first things I said when I started was if the power went out how was I going to make a cuppa never mind the ciooking or heating it was the tea that first came to mind
Tea is most important! I get the jitters when we are down to less than a dozen boxes of teabags! :lol:
Bulk buy, 1200 at a time. :shock: :lol: as soon as I open one I replace it, can't be too careful :tinfoil :lol: :lol:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Brambles wrote:
jansman wrote:
Bulk buy, 1200 at a time. :shock: :lol: as soon as I open one I replace it, can't be too careful :tinfoil :lol: :lol:
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.