Another threat to self reliance in the home

Homes and Retreats
jansman

Another threat to self reliance in the home

Post by jansman »

There was a thread awhile ago about the Mayor of London wanting to ban woodstoves in the city on environmental grounds.Now the issue has reared its head again,but nationally.

Scrutiny over wood and coal fires
30 January 2018 15:35 GMT+00:00
By Roger Harrabin
BBC environment analyst
Coal fire
Burning wood and coal in people's homes will come under scrutiny as part of a government drive to improve air pollution.
Ministers are calling for evidence to help improve air quality in cities.
They want people to ensure that wood is dry before burning, and that solid fuels are as clean as possible.
But the UK is being given a final warning by the European Commission today for breaching laws on NOx emissions.
The government is being told it will face court action in Europe unless its planned Clean Air Strategy does what it's supposed to.
While environmentalists may wonder whether today's announcement on homes fires is a smokescreen, the government insists it's not.
It says the domestic burning of house coal, smokeless solid fuels and wet wood is the single largest primary contributor of harmful sooty particles.
Householders and businesses are being asked for their views on proposals to cut emissions.
The government says drying wood can reduce particles by half and produce more heat from less fuel.
A spokesman said it is considering a range of options to tackle particle emissions, including:
• Encouraging consumers to switch from house coal by only allowing the sale of low sulphur smokeless alternatives;
• The introduction of sulphur limits for all smokeless solid fuels;
• And new powers for local authorities to take action for persistent smoke offences where local air quality is harmed.
Environment Minister Thérèse Coffey said: "We all have a role to play in improving the air we breathe. Many of us enjoy a cosy fire, but burning dirtier fuel has a real impact on the quality of air for our family and friends.
"Pollution is about more than just transport. If we make the switch to burning cleaner domestic fuel, we can continue to enjoy burning wood and smokeless coal in stoves and fires in our homes."
She says they're not considering banning domestic burning.
Prof Frank Kelly from Kings College London told BBC News: "If the particulates data are correct then yes it's a good thing as it's important that all sources of pollution are tackled in order to improve air quality to reach WHO guideline values."
Some academics said the homes fires consultation was a diversion from other government failings on pollution.
Rosie Rogers from Greenpeace said: "It's not a good look when a government that promised environmental leadership has to be chivvied by Brussels into doing something about illegal air pollution."
"Michael Gove promised to make cleaning up our cities' air a top priority but has little to show for it as yet."
The government said it would solve air pollution overall in its Clean Air Strategy, expected after Easter.
The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, wants to ban wood burning in the capital - but there will no enforcement powers to enter homes to see whether people are burning wood or not.

OK,its a bit of a nothing article,and anyone who burns wood at a serious level- not just the Christmas Day fire- KNOWS you have to season wood,or you damage your chimney.

My concern is that ,in time,my personal plans for self sufficient living are thrown out of the window.Yes,I know that it comes under environmental concerns,but shipping liquefied gas from the far flung suppliers holding us to ransom is not planet- friendly either.

My primary heat source is solid fuel ,so this is a big issue that I feel will keep cropping up.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Re: Another threat to self reliance in the home

Post by pseudonym »

Even if made a Law, they can take my wood burning stove from my cold dead hand...... oh hang on............. :lol: :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Haha! :lol: LIKE^^

Robert Frost.

Me.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

I may be wrong but was told that in Scotland our local planning office will not allow open fires without special extra planning permission on new build homes. Log stoves are ok though but one wonders for how much longer. It seems that every year they invent new rules all of which require permit fees and a fortune spent on "expert" advice to get them. The latest is the tax bill we've just been hit with for shooting rights on our land. We pointed out that we don't shoot on our land as it grass fields with no trees or hedges and there is no game. Doesn't seem to matter we have the land and if a pheasant should stray onto it we can shoot it, in season of course, and it'll only have cost us a few hundred quid to do so, assuming we have a gun and the almost impossible licence to own it.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

What kind of moron tries to burn wet wood ???

My stove is going nowhere, I just put a new flue in thats good for another 25 years ..... I'm getting my money's worth out of it lol
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I took a walk along the river today looking for piking spots.The number of houses and boats that had smoking chimneys... Government edicts really baffle me.It has long been accepted wisdom that if you let a log rot back to the earth,it gives off the same emissions as if you burnt it.AND trees can be replanted etc. It truly baffles me,the gobshite that government spouts!

Right now,my house is warmed by wood that has cost me nothing but my effort.No international shipping or long haul transport.No infrastructure cost.Zero environmental damage; no mining,fracking,or human exploitation.

My brother saw this article online too.He lives amongst New Age Travellers. They overwinter on a piece of land they own.They all have woodburners- and burn a lot of scrap- that would otherwise go to landfill! As he said,the government does not like folks who are independent. I tend to agree.If the electric went off now, I would switch on the LED lights, powered by solar charged batteries, read a book, or listen to a play on the radio or some such, and still be warm!

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Govt, and Europe, is ruled by silly wee office types in clean shiny shoes, suits and ties, who think life as we know it ends at the 40mph limit signs. They are painting us into a corner and removing options right left and centre - and getting away with it. It's ok for them with great salaries and expensive well built homes - what about people living in old draughty damp rented flats who can't afford to burn electric 24/7? They don't care.
Thank god out here I can get away with anything short of murder - who is going to trek round every house up here after dark to inspect what we're burning? :twisted:
They'll slap a tax on coal, and probably logs as well. It's all about money with them, not pollution :evil:
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote:Govt, and Europe, is ruled by silly wee office types in clean shiny shoes, suits and ties, who think life as we know it ends at the 40mph limit signs. They are painting us into a corner and removing options right left and centre - and getting away with it. It's ok for them with great salaries and expensive well built homes - what about people living in old draughty damp rented flats who can't afford to burn electric 24/7? They don't care.
Thank god out here I can get away with anything short of murder - who is going to trek round every house up here after dark to inspect what we're burning? :twisted:
They'll slap a tax on coal, and probably logs as well. It's all about money with them, not pollution :evil:
Sums it up nicely.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

But, but, but!!! there is RHI. The governments renewable heating incentive. One of the acceptable systems is pellet stoves. Imagine that?!? :? :? Well think on this... Soon you may not be able to burn gash free wood you or someone else has wombled, BUT you will be able to burn the same gash free wood once it's been pelletised, bagged and made ready for sale. Yep. As long as you have to buy it and pay VAT on it and they can control it, you're alright.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environmental- ... ng-systems

Cynical? me?
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

izzy_mack wrote:I may be wrong but was told that in Scotland our local planning office will not allow open fires without special extra planning permission on new build homes. Log stoves are ok though but one wonders for how much longer. It seems that every year they invent new rules all of which require permit fees and a fortune spent on "expert" advice to get them. The latest is the tax bill we've just been hit with for shooting rights on our land. We pointed out that we don't shoot on our land as it grass fields with no trees or hedges and there is no game. Doesn't seem to matter we have the land and if a pheasant should stray onto it we can shoot it, in season of course, and it'll only have cost us a few hundred quid to do so, assuming we have a gun and the almost impossible licence to own it.

How so is a license almost impossible, unless you've been naughty it's a bit of a palaver yeah but so much fun ;) A mate of mine put me off almost for life by telling me you get pestered by plod all the time, perhaps back in the day when they were adequately staffed, but now if they have no reason they leave you to it, I think my mate was a bit antagonistic TBH and you know folk like that attract scrutiny from the off ;) so don't let rumours put you off find out the facts and if you like the idea go for it!
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.