Another threat to self reliance in the home

Homes and Retreats
grenfell

Re: Another threat to self reliance in the home

Post by grenfell »

preppergb wrote:The amount of unburnt avgas and particulates from aircraft runs into hundreds of thousands of tons a year straight into the atmosphere where it reacts with sunlight and becomes even more toxic. " Never got a sensible reply from him.
Not London , but some time ago I was working on the roof of Caulke Abbey in Derbyshire which is near East Midlands airport and on the approach path. Planes come over fairly lowest regularly. The roof is a large flat expanse of lead and we noticed darker "spots" all over the surface of the lead. Turned out the spots were deposits of unburnt aviation fuel. Normally of course one doesn't notice it as we don't tend to have a football pitch size of lead to show it up but it certainly ade me think about pollution .
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Well personally regarding Wood and or Multi Fuel stoves and new air pollution laws, mines already an approved type clean air approved thing. which I burn wood and reformed coal brickettes on. But if there was big trouble, power cuts, societal collapse etc I am simply going to ignore any and all regulations pertaining to wood burning stoves AND Tree presevation orders until the crisis has passed. I'm keeping my family warm no matter what, but I dont mind having to only use approved fuels such as kiln dried hardwoods or brickettes during normal times.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I think a lot of the problem has arisen from some people burning inappropriate woods during those normal times. I won't let treated or painted timber into my wood burner but some happily shovel old painted joinery , fence panels and sopping wet green timbers into theirs.
Obviously it would depend upon the event but if because of bad weather or a grid failure wood became the only form of heating for a while then I would suspect checking air quality wouldn't be the highest priority.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

grenfell wrote:I think a lot of the problem has arisen from some people burning inappropriate woods during those normal times. I won't let treated or painted timber into my wood burner but some happily shovel old painted joinery , fence panels and sopping wet green timbers into theirs.
Obviously it would depend upon the event but if because of bad weather or a grid failure wood became the only form of heating for a while then I would suspect checking air quality wouldn't be the highest priority.

A lady in the next village nearly burnt her home down only 18 months after having a wood burner installed, she worked for a shed and fencing company and was burning loads of creasoted and preservative treated timber that very quickly lined her chimney. I chimney fire started and red hot embers blew out of the chimney and through open windows into the bedrooms. Fortunately she smelled the burning smell and put the fire out.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

That doesn't sound good. Another problem with domestic wood burners is that they don't burn hot enough to fully destroy chemicals the timber may have been treated with and will produce dioxins and other nasties in the smoke.