Buying woodland.

Homes and Retreats
Briggs 2.0

Re: Buying woodland.

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

sniper 55 wrote:
Thats what I love about this forum, not only the helpfull members but the sheer amount of knowledge thats there.
I wish we had a thumbs up icon for great posts.
Cheers Fella, my wife and I love our woodland and will always share our woodland knowledge and experiences. The irony is, that while typing the post above, we nearly came to blows over who ate the last tub of Treeslets.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:
sniper 55 wrote:
Thats what I love about this forum, not only the helpfull members but the sheer amount of knowledge thats there.
I wish we had a thumbs up icon for great posts.
Cheers Fella, my wife and I love our woodland and will always share our woodland knowledge and experiences. The irony is, that while typing the post above, we nearly came to blows over who ate the last tub of Treeslets.
I'd never heard of those, but I do like a cheese biscuit so I'm going to have to have a mooch around the shops tomorrow. :)
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Briggs 2.0 wrote: we nearly came to blows over who ate the last tub of Treeslets.
Those things are almost addictive, I troffed the lot before anyone else got a look in :lol: but then they can all eat as much chocolate and cake as they like.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

sniper 55 wrote: I'd never heard of those, but I do like a cheese biscuit so I'm going to have to have a mooch around the shops tomorrow. :)
News to me too, every day's a school day. :)
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Treeslets are an addiction of mine too. Thankfully the Brambling prefers Twiglets :mrgreen:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Brambles wrote:Thankfully the Brambling prefers Twiglets :mrgreen:
Now you're talking! I have to confess to a little Twiglet problem...nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Wood cutter

Post by Wood cutter »

Anyone remember when they used to be fried, before they started baking them? They used to be a whole lot more addictive.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

As this is a prepping forum, I should also point out an emptied Treeselet tub makes a useful semi-airtight container. (That's what I keep telling myself, anyway).
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:As this is a prepping forum, I should also point out an emptied Treeselet tub makes a useful semi-airtight container. (That's what I keep telling myself, anyway).
And thats your excuse for pigging the whole thing ? :lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Okay, I'll push this thread back on topic a bit (step away from the cheesey savoury snacks).

Another hidden benefit of buying a woodland is that you can apply for planning permission to have a portable structure on site and this includes the prepper's dream of a shipping container. In fact, a shipping container meets all of the requirements for what's called a Prior Notification planning application. £85 in my area. Check with you local authority, there are some restrictions such as height being under 3m (it is) and distances from roads, etc, etc.

Caravans, motorhomes, that sort of thing, will rub the planners up the wrong way even though they are technically portable via their wheels.

So, if you're thinking of buying a woodland and want a shelter, make sure there's access for a shipping container. Failing that, if access is restricted, companies such as MK containers do container kits and with any shipping container, the options for modifications are nearly limitless. (If your going to cut and weld and you're off grid, you'll need a hefty portable welding rig. If you're welding a container, it's wise to ground off the paint to the bare steel. In my experience, the metal corrugations were zinc plated - not ideal for welding until ground off to the steel).

I'm drifting off into the wonders of shipping containers, I love 'em.