Washing Clothes

Homes and Retreats
Brambles

Re: Washing Clothes

Post by Brambles »

Arzosah wrote:Is this the kind of thing people mean by a "dry bag"?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... =469924031

It's a great idea to use your own movement as you're going about your day, to wash some items of clothing.
Yep, that's the jobbie.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Arzosah wrote:Is this the kind of thing people mean by a "dry bag"?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... =469924031

It's a great idea to use your own movement as you're going about your day, to wash some items of clothing.
That's the type of thing yeah.

The purpose made one in the link may work a little better since it has little knobbly bits inside it, but having seen that now I'm going to turn one of mine inside out and apply some little blobs of hot glue which should do the same job, they might fall off in use but it's worth a try, won't ruin anything.

I think you'd struggle to wash a pair of combat trousers in it, but I've used a dry bag and washed shorts, socks, skivvies and t shirts without a problem.

When I do it I load it up and let it all soak for about ten minutes, then smoosh it about for five minutes and change for clean water, then soak and smoosh again, then see how it is, if there's a lot in there it sometimes needs another change of water but most of the time it's ok, if you're using stergene it's not as itchy as powder if there's still some left anyway, it's a lot like shampoo.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Let us know what happens with the glue blobs won't you Jamesey. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

It'll be a while before I have cause to do it again, but I'll post when I do. :)
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Getting things clean has to be a big problem in any medium/long term grid down situation - this is a great idea. Travelling too, come to that. And it takes up a lot less space than a hand cranked washing machine :mrgreen:
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Arzosah wrote:Getting things clean has to be a big problem in any medium/long term grid down situation - this is a great idea. Travelling too, come to that. And it takes up a lot less space than a hand cranked washing machine :mrgreen:
My sentiments exactly, arthritis is a problem these days and anything to make these jobs easier is a bonus. A dry bag and bottle of stergene is on the list :)