y,all like scotland what about....

Homes and Retreats
Dangerous Dave

Re: y,all like scotland what about....

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Hi
There's a lot of negative comments here bout the English buying places in Scotland. I did just that when I took a job up there and have kept it on since. I bought a flat in an old run down or at least really grotty house, we had a local neighbour downstairs. I paid for the whole house to be done up as the previous two flat owners had fallen out and painted the building two different colours, im talking top floor was a different colour to the ground floor,! I spent the whole of summer painting, sanding etc while the Scottish neighbour watched, even when I repaired and revarnished all their windows before moving onto my own. My retired dad would even drive up 200 miles each way on weekends to help. It was a great exercise though because many people in the village would stop and chat, commenting how much better it looked. The locals would even pop their heads out of the pub to see how We were getting on. Never got help and never asked. I'm currently trying do acquire the derelict land from next door with the intention of tidying it up. This land could have been snapped up by any of the established villagers for free and tidied up but it hasn't! So don't get too upset if we sometimes take the initiative, and it's not always a bad thing for English to move in!
Red Doe

Post by Red Doe »

It isn't all about doing up property and prettying the place up though Dave. It's more about attitude.
I've seen it first hand...English incomers move here, settle in fine, but then try to form committees where none existed before, get on local council, and start changing things to their own benefit, regardless of the feelings of the locals. That's the kind of thing that gets folks' backs up more than anything else.
I've also met those who have seen fit to move north of the Border but then sit in the pub decrying the nature, behaviour, and ways of the natives, to bring them down and ridicule them or shout them down when comparing the two countries, which leads to fights and arguments. I've seen it all with my own eyes. More than once.
You know what too?
There's another well known forum here online, where English folks take every opportunity to decry the Scots, to start arguments, and use that old and well worn rubbish that the English subsidise the Scots.
If that's the case, I'm at a loss as to know why so many English find Scotland such a desirable place to live? It used to make my blood boil and I would answer back but now don't bother. These people aren't worth the effort. Their condescention to the Scots is unbelievable at times, and I don't even read the threads now because it's always the same old same old..."We subsidise those Scots", "Can't ever run their own country" and those are just the polite comments.
Most Scots I know have no problem with any incomers who move into their area. The trouble starts when, believe it or not, integration into local community doesn't happen and that isn't just the action of the incoming muslim or Indian, but of English too. If I had a Scots pound note for every time I've heard "Well, we do it this way down south, and it works fine there" I'd be rich.
The anti attitude also cuts both ways. Some years ago I had to spend a couple of months in Nottingham. During that time my kids were temporarily in an English school. I took them out after they were beat up and bullied. For being Scots! They were actually singled out despite the fact the school contained Pakistanis and Koreans, none of whom got the same treatment. Shades of the parents, methinks...
and I myself was spat at and called "F**king Scotch" on more than one occasion.
I've also seen English folks move here, settle in fine and everyone gets on really well, but those are the exception.
It would be nice to say we're cut from the same cloth but we aren't and although in time I imagine both nationalities will easily co-exist, I don't think that time is now.
If I had to move down to England, one thing I wouldn't do is vaunt my own nationality over that of my 'landlords', try to change things to resemble some kind of "little Scotland" and not take into account the ways and feelings of the locals in my area.
Just some thoughts. It's easy to blame any trouble on simple anti-English sentiment but please remember there's rarely smoke without fire and enough has happened to create that feeling in the first place.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

It's nice that English folk like us and our country, though. My ex-SIL was a Hells Angel from near London and he was totally and absolutely in love with Scotland... he loved the roads, the accents, the attitude and the people. I wish they hadnt split up, we liked him.
I wonder if down south, you have the same probs though? Is there anybody in a country area or north of England area who has experienced incomers who move in and start doing what RD says ? They do it here too, mainly English but also we get yuppies from Edinburgh who seem to think they're something. And I mind a pal of mine in Ireland saying the exact same thing happens there. Maybe its a type of person who feels the need to move in and impress the peasants ? :mrgreen:
But one thing is true - Scots and English are like cat and dog. We are so very different its unreal - must be the different genes. I'm reading a book about Scots DNA and we're all Vikings, Celts or Picts. The English are Norman French or Angles or Saxons... chalk & cheese.
Dangerous Dave

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Hi rd
Just for the record, I volunteered for unpaid local work in the village and as a result was invited onto the village historical committee. I seeked approval for the work On our building prior to work commencing by both the neighbour downstairs and the local council to ensure work would be in keeping with the village. The neighbour chose the paint colour, and the council approved it, and I did all the work.
With regards to the English being anti scottish. My wife is foreign. She also suffered at the hands of racists while we worked a brief spell in Nottingham, that's why I took the opportunity to move up to Scotland where she didn't suffer any racism. funny enough, I was the subject of racism in Notts. I was getting my car cleaned at the local polish car wash and whilst I was waiting some kids drove past and shouted at me to get a real job! Lol you get good and bad everywhere. I have friends in Notts who aren't racist.
Being married to someone from far away lands made me realise that there shouldn't be Borders, one nationality isnt better or worst than another. Its in the individual! I don't have an issue with people wanting to move between countries as we can't help or choose where we're born. I think people from different backgrounds bring different things to communities. I personally think that like minded people should pull their resources together, different backgrounds bring different skill sets that compliment each other. Just like this site.
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Its worth noting that there are twice as many scots living in England as there are english living in Scotland.

Also not forgetting our last 3 prime ministers have all been scots...Blair, Brown, and Cameron. You would think that after that motley crew the english would be rebuilding Hadrians wall ;)

Me, I have an english mother and a scots father and find all the moaning (on both sides) a little bit sad to be honest

As it is, me being half and half...I can be hated equally by both sides :lol:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Aye, the only thing wrong with this world is that it's got people onnit ! :mrgreen:
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

On the convers side of what you are saying, RD. I lived in Scotland for a while. I moved to a better job and what I hoped would be a better life. 18months later I left and moved back to England. In the time I was in Scotland I was racially abused on a more or less daily basis. My son was beaten up 5 times for being English. In the village he was known as that speccy four-eyed Engish git. I really don't care who subsidises who and for the record the sort of behaviour you are describing goes on everywhere, it's not unique to Scotland, nor is it unique to English people. And also for the record, I get just a little bit peeved at some of the English comments that pop into this forum every once in a while. I thought Racism was frowned upon.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Dangerous Dave

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Your not wrong, we're making a right mess of it. Then if we look at whats happening in society, our governments can't repay our countries debts and start selling their assets - including the banks whom own most of our properties we could find our houses are moved into by a different nations people. What would you do if you ran a country whose population is outgrowing your land? Move them into newly acquired land.
Red Doe

Post by Red Doe »

I thought Racism was frowned upon.
Racism? funny how it's called that when a Scot sticks up for her people but when an Englishman decries the Scots it isn't.
Sorry guys, I can't be dealing with one rule for some and another for others. :(
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

:mrgreen: Well in a few years we won't need to worry . This whole land will Chinese ! :mrgreen: