y,all like scotland what about....

Homes and Retreats
annieg

Re: y,all like scotland what about....

Post by annieg »

Speaking as one of the Highland natives, of course we get grumpy.

Some truly horrendous self builds have put up by incommers on beautiful land while the locals kids cant even afford a flat.

Just having the money to purchase a house doesnt give you the right to come in and change the way people do things and have done things for years.

I cant wait for my passport to say 'Scottish'. Weve been putting up with a government that we didnt vote for for long enough, what a joy to see the map overwhelmingly yellow.
TimeisRunningOut

Post by TimeisRunningOut »

Dutchie Delta wrote:Red Doe, that's in most rural affordable places the case. Only natural for people to not be happy with the newcomers.
So... brave the natives or stay in town?
Me braves the natives.
Same, that's what I did
Best move of my life :)
From tower blocks and war-zone looking streets (Hull) to trees, hills and friendly old people
Its a shame if I try "wake" these guys up in my small town of 4000..... theyre lovely people...... but within a second :tinfoil images :tinfoil will :tinfoil be :tinfoil running :tinfoil through :tinfoil their :tinfoil minds.

And we don't want that do we
Low profile is key 8-) :lol:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Wow annieg, I missed your post. Well said and I agree 200%. Well done TRO!
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Speaking as one of the Highland natives, of course we get grumpy.

Some truly horrendous self builds have put up by incommers on beautiful land while the locals kids cant even afford a flat.
Thats not just an issue that affects scotland, it affects lots of areas. It always has done and always will no matter who runs which country. The easy way round it is if the owners of the land/house refuse to sell to "incomers" and only sell to locals at a reduced price....can't see it happening myself.

People in Devon where I live (and was born ;) ) constantly moan about "incomers" pushing up house prices....simple answer, stop selling to them and accept a lower price from a local.

Throughout history people have moved into cities and towns from the countryside, now the situation is reversed and they are moving back. Seems a bit harsh critisizing town people for doing the same as what the country people did ;) :D
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Yea I know CC.. I didnt mean that I'm against them moving in, I think that can be a good thing to bring the country alive again and keep the schools open etc - but I meant about changing things the minute they're in. And the SNP govt I'm very happy about that. Our local primary school when my kids were wee was at risk when they went down to 12 bairns on the roll.
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

I know what you mean Lil, there was one lot in the press recently who bought a house in a village and then complained about the Church Bells ringing and tried to get it stopped :shock:

We moved to a small place in Wales when I was little due to my dads work, on the day that the kids reached 4 1/2 the school would grab them to try and keep the numbers up, it didn't matter at what point in the school year it was......my parents were only too glad to get rid of me :lol:
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

The DM was reporting yesterday about 2nd home owners in Cornwall not being allowed to vote in the local elections.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tions.html

Both me and OH agree that if you move into an area (or country eg France) then you should do everything within your power to assimilate yourself with the community ie learn the language, customs etc.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

We have money from the windfarms all round us and the community council had a lot of meetings to try and agree what to spend it on. The clique of incomers voted to "plant trees and walkways". We're surrounded by bloody trees, hills, moors and rivers - why cant they walk in them ?! :twisted: :lol:
We all voted for a quad bike fitted with a blade so we can clear the snow and get out of the village!
Dangerous Dave

Post by Dangerous Dave »

I've got a great little place in Scotland which is my mental retreat at the mo for weekends away, but I'm storing stuff up in it so it can double as a long term retreat if needed. I know lots of the locals and joined local clubs, like a shooting club, so I'm not a stranger when I turn up. Lovely people.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

8-) Aye, we are all lovely up here. :mrgreen: TY dave !