Power-cut on our caravan site!

Homes and Retreats
peejay

Power-cut on our caravan site!

Post by peejay »

Ironic that we're away in the caravan this week (we do a "commute week" once or twice a year where we stay at a quiet site that's local enough for me to still commute to work during the week) and we're in the middle of a power cut! Apparently due back on at 23:30 according to supplier web-site.

Obviously we have 12v for the basics & gas for heating (not that it's needed ATM) and fridge but gawd knows how the OH is gonna cope without her TV until 23:30! :-D

I have plenty of reading material but it's given me another reason/excuse to consider getting that generator I've been on the fence about for ages.

I'll be getting my power-cut-preps sorted for home this week now though for sure, when I'm back that is :)
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Power-cut on our caravan site!

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

One problem with the generator is noise even the super quiet Honda euxxi range are far from silent in a campsite

For madams TV how about a pure sine wave inverter?

They can hammer batteries if you pile on the load I was running a 300w induction motor fan set off my 1000w inverter and it was pulling 14a off the battery so working on 50% capacity to prevent damage to the battery a 110ah gave.me just over 4hour run

110/2 =60

60/14= 4.2
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
peejay

Post by peejay »

It's not so much the TV, ours is actually a 12v (which just occurred to me as we generally just use it on mains) but the Sky Q box would be another drain. One of these days I'll stick my monitor on it to see what it actually uses power-wise.

I've also considered getting a second solar panel (we have a 100W roof-mounted) along with a second battery, but on our 'van the battery is actually centre-mounted under the floor so it'd be difficult to sensibly wire a second battery in with short enough cables etc. but not impossible.

Personally I'm not overly bothered with mains for shorter periods. I managed to squeeze in a quick brew from the Nespresso during one of the brief returns of power :-D (I have a stove-top mocca pot for off-grid use generally but don't have the coffee with me so wasn't expecting to be off-grid).

In all honesty Big Brother makes my skin crawl so I'm certainly appreciating the power cut right now! ;-)

As for the generator, I've half-convinced myself of a number of additional uses for one, including semi-emergency use at home during a longer power-cut, so I have a sneaky feeling it's on the cards sooner or later...
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

peejay wrote:Personally I'm not overly bothered with mains for shorter periods. I managed to squeeze in a quick brew from the Nespresso during one of the brief returns of power (I have a stove-top mocca pot for off-grid use generally but don't have the coffee with me so wasn't expecting to be off-grid).

In all honesty Big Brother makes my skin crawl so I'm certainly appreciating the power cut right now!
Getting away from the "normal" would be a large part of my motive for going camping/caravan, I'd want a dumb phone for emergencies, and sever all connections with the likes of Murdoch, Branson, and Gates ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I think I agree with Plymtom.I'd do without the telly.If I were not married I would not own a TV .Then again,I guess it depends on the individual. In your situation I would be fine with the radio if I really wanted outside information, and as long as I had reading material ( like yourself).Sometimes its nice to disconnect.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
peejay

Post by peejay »

For us the caravan is more a "home from home" rather than a "get away from it all" (apart from getting away from our occasionally noisy neighbours that is) but I understand those that do want to get away.

It's funny as I've always been more of a "glamper" but lately I've been fascinated with the idea of going back to basics/tenting etc. (for myself, OH would faint at the thought!). In fact, I'm really starting to feel a strong draw to going the whole hog & moving to a small place in the country with a bit of land & really going for the quiet life...