Quick tip for drain unblocking before calling the Pro's

Homes and Retreats
Jamesey1981

Quick tip for drain unblocking before calling the Pro's

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Just thought I'd share a quick tip that some may not have thought of.
I had a blocked drain in my bathroom sink today, tried a plunger, tried shoving rods down it, tried caustic soda, wouldn't shift it.
I used to get a lot of blocked drains in our flat because of the way the waste pipes were routed.
We had a well known drain company round, and they unblocked it with what was basically a large wet and dry Hoover.
The next time my drain blocked up I bought a cheap one from Argos, cost about forty of fifty quid I think, it was cheaper than a single call out and I've used it many times since, including today, takes seconds to clear the blockage, just open your windows, (it stinks) fill the blocked pipe with water and shove the hose as far down the plug hole as you can, block up any gaps where you'll lose suction with wet cloths and switch it on. It'll pull water first of all, but then you'll feel the hose judder as it pulls through whatever sludge was blocking it.

Still worth having a plunger though, it's more effort to clear the blockage with a plunger, but if it will do it then you don't have to clean out a wet and dry Hoover that's full of drain gunge.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Brambles

Re: Quick tip for drain unblocking before calling the Pro's

Post by Brambles »

I love to hear about tried and tested methods of doing things. I've been very lucky and never had a problem, but it's a handy thing to know.Thanks Jamesey :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

This sink has drained slowly since we moved in, so I suspect that it was a clog that was already there that has been added to with bits of beard and sludge while we've lived here, properly cleared now so should be ok for the future.
The ones at the flat were a nightmare, they blocked up about once a month, but rerouting the waste pipes wasn't practical.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Get a bottle of one shot drain unblocker - it's concentrated acid so obviously you need to be careful. Dissolves most blockages in about 15minutes
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

preparedsurrey wrote:Get a bottle of one shot drain unblocker - it's concentrated acid so obviously you need to be careful. Dissolves most blockages in about 15minutes
Only works if you can get it to the blockage, if it's past the u bend then you have no chance, caustic soda works the same but some blockages need mechanical unblocking which is where you'd normally call the professionals in.
The wet and dry vacuum can unblock round corners, my kitchen sink at the flat used to block somewhere between the kitchen and the bathroom under the floor, couldn't get rods down there as it was too twisty and it was too far away for any chemicals, the only options were use suction, use a water jet or pull up all the floorboards!

The point is it doesn't matter how far away the blockage is, by pulling a vacuum in the pipes it will clear it, the sludge comes back out the way it went in and it can save a call out if the chemicals can't do it.
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

Had the same problem on the outside waste pipe of our quarter.

Kept phoning carillion to unblock it as it flooded the front garden.

They'd unclog it, just, then leave, only for it to back up again in a month.

Saw a video on you tube about using an old mop to create the suction needed. Worked a treat, stank like f@#k!
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Captain Darling wrote:Had the same problem on the outside waste pipe of our quarter.

Kept phoning carillion to unblock it as it flooded the front garden.

They'd unclog it, just, then leave, only for it to back up again in a month.

Saw a video on you tube about using an old mop to create the suction needed. Worked a treat, stank like f@#k!
There is always a pleasure to be had 'sticking it to da man' with a company like Carillion, you'll get more joy out of them than the Civil Service. Stick to your guns (pun intended) and don't let your rank (or lack of more importantly) be an issue, they're a private (this one not so much :roll: ) company so it irrelevant, they're there to provide a service (and rip the MOD off) and if you need to go to your DO (Divisional Officer, or whatever you Percy's call them) then do it, your missus isn't in the mob and if she's happy to drain down, get her along to moan about it too. Maybe the neighbours have the same problems, the wife's can't be done for mutiny......just saying......

Hope you get it sorted mate.
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

Yes mate, they're all sorted now. To be fair all the problems I've had with the pad have been dealt with in full, on time, to not a terrible standard.

The drains keep backing up, I'm sure there's a fat-berg further down the line but they'll not pay for dyno-rod in a month of Sunday. So all I can do is get it unblocked each time as we're at the bottom of an incline and end of terrace.

The blocks for the Ph2 recruits however...
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.