Scenario...

Homes and Retreats
BugOut66

Scenario...

Post by BugOut66 »

I think this fits under the "homes" category of the forum. Here goes.

I often think about the day that the SHTF. Government gone or disabled, lawlessness has taken hold.

Now, I don't think that situation would last very long BUT in my mind the first thing that happens is that the scum band together and start going almost door to door, looting.

We all saw the London riots a few years ago. These idiots seize on any opportunity to loot, mob, assault and god knows what else.

My question, how long do you think lawlessness would have to be a thing before this happened, and how long would it have to last before it dissipated?

And what would you do in the interim? I've seen a lot of chat about bugging in since I've been here, but if you live in a nice-ish area (or nicer) that's close enough to a not so nice area, I believe the threat of mass scumbaggery is probably a primary concern.
Mortblanc

Re: Scenario...

Post by Mortblanc »

I do not know about the mental processes in the UK, but in the US we see riots of this sort follow a specific pattern.

The looting starts as soon as the law enforcement officers loose control and the scum realize there is no one/not enough to arrest all of them. Debris starts to fly and windows are breached and the looting begins.

We also see looting start as soon as the scum realized the electricity is out. Looters seem to love the dark.

Our looting takes place mostly in retail areas and almost never in the suburbs. Suburban looting in the US would be near suicide with the number of armed home owners we have here, even in the most anti gun areas. Our laws allow violent reaction in self defense to protect life and limb in every part of our nation. Often during disasters neighbors will band together and limit access to their neighborhoods. It is not unusual or unexpected at all.

So what we see is looting and burning of retail stores on one street and the houses that back right up to those stores untouched by the rioters.

The norm is that the various areas where the rioters live wind up being burned, leaving their homes gone and their sections of town reduced to rubble.

Over here we refer to it as "shooting yourself in the foot" and even our liberal media usually asks "What were they thinking?".
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

A lot of Farmers where I live, and good Judges ;)

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/judge ... story.html

Here's UK Law on the subject:

https://www.cps.gov.uk/publications/pro ... lders.html

But, when SHTF rules are off I do believe.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

I doubt it would ever get that bad that gangs of youths will be kicking down doors in suburbia - unless they knew there was something worth going for perhaps.

We live in an area where a mile up the road we have some very nice posh houses- several have top-end Audis, Porsches etc, yet a mile or so down the road there are a couple of rough estates with old washing machines and dead cars in the front garden.
I like to think we live in the 'grey' area, not rough, but not posh or moneyed enough to be worth bothering about when there are better/richer pickings elsewhere.

It comes down to whether people feel the need to advertise what they have, and fortunately for me, there are plenty of people showing off that they have a lot more than i do, so good luck to them, but i doubt anyone is going to bother coming to my door when the view from the road of my wealth is an old van and a small city car :lol:
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

My thoughts are the huge looting gang thing we see on tv wont last very long, yes they'll probably do the local shops and blag a few goodies while having fun, but then before long the rivalry between them would probably cause the big group to break down into small factions.

Remember this isn't just having a bit of fun and nicking some shiny kit. If things have gone tits up it's a serious long term thing and more about survival of the fittest, odd's are they'll be fighting amongst themselves in no time. That should thin them out a bit to start with before they start looking at the local houses.
Drcamburn

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you work, you eat, it's as simple as that.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Drcamburn wrote:I'm a huge believer that most crime is opportunistic. In most cases I think just having a prepper in the house would be enough to deter a have a go looter, even without having done anything to make yourself look a bit more indimidating. They'd hopefully just go on to an empty house and rummage through than. In the looters shoes it's what I'd do.

Against a large/organised group looking for supplies I'd just try to look like I'm more hassle than I'm worth. I'm hoping that an angry prepper who likes army stuff decked out head to toe in riot gear would scare off an organised group. But realistically I'm gonna try to just hold them back and hope they give up/bug out.

Even though I've thought about it I live in a converted farm building in the middle of nowhere, so most looters probably wouldn't even find my house.
If you look like a 'handful' to start with you might look the part but I wouldn't rely on wearing combats or riot gear to look scary, especially against an organised group. If your bluff is called then you're probably pooped.
Drcamburn

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
omega man

Post by omega man »

is it me or does "combat gear" offer protection I'm unaware of? surely if you look kitted out and ready to defend you very well might have some possessions etc worth defending.. thus setting a challenge! we live in a world where old folk get kicked to death for pence, no? If you're not actually prepared to go hand to hand you're just low hanging fruit.
Drcamburn

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.