MM
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
Deeps

Re: Netflix Prepper's Documentary

Post by Deeps »

Cheers for the heads up, I'll give it a go.
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

Cheers for the heads up!

I just watched the first episode and I have to say that the guy in the first episode has a really good set up. I'd like to live off the grid too, not because I'm particularly worried about a major disaster, but because I imagine it would be a lot cheaper. Still, to do that you need land and money which I'm in no real position to do.

Still if anything did happen, I think he would be in serious trouble. He freely acknowledges that lots of people have already told him that "They're coming to his house," so if anything were to happen I reckon he would be overrun pretty quickly; I mean people would do pretty much anything to get their hands on a property that well set up.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

MBJ wrote:I'd like to live off the grid too, not because I'm particularly worried about a major disaster, but because I imagine it would be a lot cheaper. Still, to do that you need land and money which I'm in no real position to do.
I know that feeling but to be honest, more as an escape than a permanent thing, there's a convenience to living in the middle of a city, probably the most important being so much is within walking distance, but the downside is I feel trapped with a load of loonies :lol:

As for accommodating friends, I'd make clear it'd be over my dead body, 5 adults- (Mum Dad and 3 adult kids) is enough under one roof, if they had something to bring to a small community and could be nearby, in other words of mutual use, no problem, or a possibly, we've not had visitors for so long now that even the thought of that unsettles my wife.

I'm going to find and watch this show over the next few days, going out to play today though :mrgreen:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Thanks, I'll have a look for this when I get home.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

MBJ wrote:Cheers for the heads up!

I just watched the first episode and I have to say that the guy in the first episode has a really good set up. I'd like to live off the grid too, not because I'm particularly worried about a major disaster, but because I imagine it would be a lot cheaper. Still, to do that you need land and money which I'm in no real position to do.

Still if anything did happen, I think he would be in serious trouble. He freely acknowledges that lots of people have already told him that "They're coming to his house," so if anything were to happen I reckon he would be overrun pretty quickly; I mean people would do pretty much anything to get their hands on a property that well set up.
The whole people turning up thing is maybe something to consider as a prepper, whether its through not being discrete enough or friends/family looking at you as someone practical and having more than they do. Its maybe easier (in theory) to turn folk away in an 'end of days' scenario but what if its not so drastic, it could get awkward quickly, theres also the flipside that numbers (that you can trust) might be handy.
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

Deeps wrote:
MBJ wrote:Cheers for the heads up!

The whole people turning up thing is maybe something to consider as a prepper, whether its through not being discrete enough or friends/family looking at you as someone practical and having more than they do. Its maybe easier (in theory) to turn folk away in an 'end of days' scenario but what if its not so drastic, it could get awkward quickly, theres also the flipside that numbers (that you can trust) might be handy.
If it were me I would be willing to help people and share my resources because in those sort of situations it's groups of people that are going to survive, and as you say, you may have to live with them after the disaster too.

I think the problem with Allen is that he has adopted a "No one is going to come to my house and if they do I will shoot them," attitude, which IMO is the wrong approach to take. Sure, he might kill a few people, but I imagine it would cause massive amounts of resent amongst their friends and family, and that people would band together just to take him out if that were to happen. A common enemy as they say.
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

I think the first episode focuses on a well educated, reasoned and wealthy prepper whose is clearly not a "nut job".

He summed up my attitude perfectly in one sentence;

"I'm not going take food out of my son's mouth to put it into yours".

Beware.

MM

Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I haven't watched it yet but....
mightymayesy wrote:He summed up my attitude perfectly in one sentence;

I think this is a case of what you say and what you do? I haven't told any family as such and any friends who know are far enough away to make coming here in dire circumstances unlikely, but imagining myself in such a position as the guy being discussed, then his statement can be as much of a wake up call to his family and friends, to do something themselves, or indeed to bring something to the table, someone who has no intention of doing anything other than knocking on his door in such times really deserves to be given the impression that they wouldn't be welcome.

The issue for me now is that if things went south I have friends in real life who would be an asset ( as would I ) to any situation, one's skills, even one's willingness to muck in speaks volumes, yet these friends have distance between them, if we all could and did have a collective place to be at, I'm dam sure a bunch of folks who muck in for fun, by pooling resources and skills, would do better together than any of them would do alone.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Good for you dude - I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.
Right now I am in the mindset of my family and I against the world.
I won't be taking in anybody nor will I be broadcasting my Prepping.
The documentary has been incredibly useful to question what I think I would do - and what I think I am prepared to do to protect my family and I - in such a situation.
MM

Plymtom wrote:I haven't watched it yet but....
mightymayesy wrote:He summed up my attitude perfectly in one sentence;

I think this is a case of what you say and what you do? I haven't told any family as such and any friends who know are far enough away to make coming here in dire circumstances unlikely, but imagining myself in such a position as the guy being discussed, then his statement can be as much of a wake up call to his family and friends, to do something themselves, or indeed to bring something to the table, someone who has no intention of doing anything other than knocking on his door in such times really deserves to be given the impression that they wouldn't be welcome.

The issue for me now is that if things went south I have friends in real life who would be an asset ( as would I ) to any situation, one's skills, even one's willingness to muck in speaks volumes, yet these friends have distance between them, if we all could and did have a collective place to be at, I'm dam sure a bunch of folks who muck in for fun, by pooling resources and skills, would do better together than any of them would do alone.