Home Security Upgrades

Homes and Retreats
Jamesey1981

Re: Home Security Upgrades

Post by Jamesey1981 »

mightymayesy wrote:Hi all,
ring.com
Upgrade your doorbell to a motion detection CCTV and visitor alert system.
You can even communicate remotely and pretend that you are upstairs (but really at work) should a local scum bag be looking for directions (but really testing to see if house unoccupied)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Wi-Fi-Ena ... s=ring.com
That ring doorbell appears to be a good idea, but it takes absolutely ages to ring when someone presses it, it goes to sleep to save battery power after a few minutes, so if your postman comes and then five minutes later an Amazon delivery arrives then it works, but if it hasn't been pressed in a while then it needs to start up before it even starts with the process of sending the alert to your phone, if you have wiring for a mains doorbell then it stays active and it'll work fine, but if you're planning on using it on battery power then it will probably annoy you, it does the same with the motion sensing, there's a delay on the recording so by the time it starts whoever was at your door is gone.

If you're going to wire it then it seems pretty good, but be careful if you're going to use it on battery power, they're not cheap and it's a fair few quid to waste if it doesn't work properly.

Review of it here, I was thinking about getting one but I decided against it for the reasons above.
https://youtu.be/4VvTzmp08OE
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

I can endorse them.
BUT.
Mine is mains wired. And I had plug in a mains wifi extender in the plug by the door.
I think if you did those two things James you'd like it.
MM

Jamesey1981 wrote:
mightymayesy wrote:Hi all,
ring.com
Upgrade your doorbell to a motion detection CCTV and visitor alert system.
You can even communicate remotely and pretend that you are upstairs (but really at work) should a local scum bag be looking for directions (but really testing to see if house unoccupied)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Wi-Fi-Ena ... s=ring.com
That ring doorbell appears to be a good idea, but it takes absolutely ages to ring when someone presses it, it goes to sleep to save battery power after a few minutes, so if your postman comes and then five minutes later an Amazon delivery arrives then it works, but if it hasn't been pressed in a while then it needs to start up before it even starts with the process of sending the alert to your phone, if you have wiring for a mains doorbell then it stays active and it'll work fine, but if you're planning on using it on battery power then it will probably annoy you, it does the same with the motion sensing, there's a delay on the recording so by the time it starts whoever was at your door is gone.

If you're going to wire it then it seems pretty good, but be careful if you're going to use it on battery power, they're not cheap and it's a fair few quid to waste if it doesn't work properly.

Review of it here, I was thinking about getting one but I decided against it for the reasons above.
https://youtu.be/4VvTzmp08OE
Last edited by mightymayesy on Wed May 03, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Bit of a curve ball this one...
I'm going Ibiza and Vegas (serious range time) this year.
Getting my mother-in-law to house sit on both occasions.
Someone in the house to water the plants and pass judgment on our ornaments can't be appreciated enough.
MM
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

mightymayesy wrote:Bit of a curve ball this one...
I'm going Ibiza and Vegas (serious range time) this year.
Getting my mother-in-law to house sit on both occasions.
Someone in the house to water the plants and pass judgment on our ornaments can't be appreciated enough.
MM
Yours looks positively charming compared to mine (who couldn't/wouldn't house sit although I'm pretty sure the father in law would like to escape for a while), she's not evil incarnate but she's a stupid and narrow minded woman, her only redeeming feature is her youthful good looks....Image
shocker

Post by shocker »

^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ^^^

M.I.L-Gate :roll:
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

shocker wrote:^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ^^^

M.I.L-Gate :roll:
Honestly mate, my MIL does have a passing resemblance to Les Dawson, at least in build. Fecked up as it sounds, I'm glad my missus takes after her father. :shock: They're both tall and slim although he has got bigger.....no, I'm out. ;)
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

mightymayesy wrote:I can endorse them.
BUT.
Mine is mains wired. And I had plug in a mains wifi extender in the plug by the door.
I think if you did those two things James you'd like it.
MM
Fair enough, I thought it would work better wired, the wifi wouldn't be a problem, but it's not practical to wire it for me, I would have had to use it on battery power so that's why I gave it a miss.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
junmist

Post by junmist »

Just been reading the posts behind my front door in an umbrella stand which has two wooden walking sticks three 1930s golf clubs(granddads) and a large umbrella with a point, the rest of the house has three Rhodesian Ridgebacks and a yappy terrier and if they don't deter you you are quite welcome to come in. :lol:
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
jansman

Post by jansman »

junmist wrote:Just been reading the posts behind my front door in an umbrella stand which has two wooden walking sticks three 1930s golf clubs(granddads) and a large umbrella with a point, the rest of the house has three Rhodesian Ridgebacks and a yappy terrier and if they don't deter you you are quite welcome to come in. :lol:
Butcher I used to slaughter for had a Ridgeback as a yard dog. It was pure evil! I had to ring Mick to take it in before I dare get out of the car. Anyone who tries to tackle a Rhodie is a sandwich short of a full picnic! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
shocker

Post by shocker »

I second that...a Ridgey molested my (now ex) wife, in an..ahem...intimate way. In a pub in Bristol. I sh!t you not.

Lessons learned - stay away from Bristol, never marry an american stripper, and be wary of Ridgeys. Amorous or not.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***