Home Security Upgrades

Homes and Retreats
mightymayesy

Home Security Upgrades

Post by mightymayesy »

Hi all,

I already have a million home security upgrades and will post them periodically for mutual benefit.

I would love to hear what simple home upgrades you have made please? I am prepping initially for 90 days of food, water, heat, sanitary, energy and warmth. And a discreet home fortress. My perspective is to bug in.

This is particularly important to me. I'm now a family man with a nice job, nice house, nice area, nice car, nice possessions etc etc. Nice target for the scum.

I would love to share this simple and effective deterrent for nuisance callers and junk mail. I've seen a marked difference since installing these to my front door. After all, you never know whom these leaflet droppers are... the less time they are on my property - perhaps casing - the better.

Thoughts on any simple home upgrades that most people can do themselves?

MM
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
Plymtom

Re: Home Security Upgrades

Post by Plymtom »

No cold callers, our door is right on the street and we do get the occasional kid cherry knocking, even a bloke trying to sell cup cakes ( professionally done ) he got my goat as other who ring several bells and see who comes out do, I tend to shout at them "oi if you haven't got time to wait to see if I answer don't bloody ring the bell" or look through the spy hole if there's no one there I don't even open the door, I've found the kids loose interest if you don't answer.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Hi all,
Another simple home security upgrade.
Child locks.
These are on all my windows on all floors for two reasons;
1. I have an adventurous - handle opening - 15 month old, and
2. They will hopefully slow down a burglar and / or cause enough noise to wake me.
The only thing I would say is that I have the key for each lock on a close by hook in case we needed to open and to get out too for whatever reason (out of arm reach should the window be forced open from the outside).
I have lots of home security upgrades and will be posting more.
Please let me know what simple cost effective upgrades you have.
MM
Attachments
Capture.JPG

mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Hi all,
Another simple home security upgrade.
Darker based wallpaper / paint rather than white paint in your hallway.... it helps prevents people looking in from the outside if you have a South facing part glass front door panel (soon the be replaced by a steel security door with new prepping house remodel) due to contrasting during the daytime.
Also, every internal room door that is visible from that glass panel is always closed to prevent anyone looking in to the contents of adjacent rooms.
It's the little things.
MM
Attachments
Capture.JPG

mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Hi all,
Final one for today!
This is a 40m hose pipe.
This hose pipe can reach every internal and external corner of my house.
For reference, I live in a bog standard New Build 5 bed detached home smaller than your cloakroom. 40m is ample.
My thinking is that this can be an interim measure until emergency services arrive in the event of a fire. And to water my pansies.
I am undecided on whether to secure the tap with a lock - thoughts*?
MM
*Water theft don't happen where I live.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I'd swap the bat fr a large maglite if I were you, have a look for other threads we've done the legal home defence thing to death several times over but a bat is premeditation unless you hang the glove and ball beside it :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Interesting.
I take an alternative view.
I'm legally trained. I'm a reasonable man. Reports of men smashing in to houses in local media and local police guidance to be alert and vigilant. I'll let a jury of other reasonable people decide my fate of what I could or could not do with a heavy cylindrical object.
MM
Plymtom wrote:I'd swap the bat fr a large maglite if I were you, have a look for other threads we've done the legal home defence thing to death several times over but a bat is premeditation unless you hang the glove and ball beside it :lol:

Deeps

Post by Deeps »

mightymayesy wrote:Interesting.
I take an alternative view.
I'm legally trained. I'm a reasonable man. Reports of men smashing in to houses in local media and local police guidance to be alert and vigilant. I'll let a jury of other reasonable people decide my fate of what I could or could not do with a heavy cylindrical object.
MM
Plymtom wrote:I'd swap the bat fr a large maglite if I were you, have a look for other threads we've done the legal home defence thing to death several times over but a bat is premeditation unless you hang the glove and ball beside it :lol:
There's also something like a baseball bat takes a fair bit of room to swing, maybe not ideal for the hallway, stair or small rooms.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Dead right! When I whacked a burglar with a maglight,I had no problem with plod.It was dark when it happened.

Also,a mag is easier to jab and swing in a confined space.A baseball bat ain't.

Also,are you a member of a UK baseball team? If not, it will never stand up in court.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

What I'm suggesting is testing the system I suppose.
I believe in the system. I'm a law abiding, tax paying, patriot and very very concerned about my family and property. Above all else at the moment.
I'm sure a jury would stand behind me. I may be wrong but that is my perspective.
HOWEVER, all my entry / exit points have a similar set up.
A multi functional, heavy, light source to inspect movement and sound during night times is perhaps better upon reflection.
Keeping it practical UK Preppers. Much love :)
MM

jansman wrote:
Dead right! When I whacked a burglar with a maglight,I had no problem with plod.It was dark when it happened.

Also,a mag is easier to jab and swing in a confined space.A baseball bat ain't.

Also,are you a member of a UK baseball team? If not, it will never stand up in court.