Home Security Upgrades

Homes and Retreats
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Home Security Upgrades

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

mightymayesy wrote:Hi all,
Final one for today!
This is a 40m hose pipe.
This hose pipe can reach every internal and external corner of my house.
For reference, I live in a bog standard New Build 5 bed detached home smaller than your cloakroom. 40m is ample.
My thinking is that this can be an interim measure until emergency services arrive in the event of a fire. And to water my pansies.
I am undecided on whether to secure the tap with a lock - thoughts*?
MM
*Water theft don't happen where I live.
Add a free standing sprinkler to the hose... Most house fires will render a room a no go area in about 30 seconds... Start blasting water add super heated steam to the mix you won't stay long.

Lob sprinkler into room pull door shut (assuming gap under door)

And leave it to supress the fire ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

greyman wrote:Seen a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher used to good effect too
Maybe worth one on the top of your stairs, multiple uses :D
Small handheld powder ones are best, though very messy, -I certainly wouldn't want one sprayed in my direction never mind the face.

I have this one near the door: http://www.screwfix.com/p/firemax-dry-p ... -1kg/5534h

In case of an electrical fire of course....
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

yorkshirewolf wrote:
greyman wrote:Seen a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher used to good effect too
Maybe worth one on the top of your stairs, multiple uses :D
Small handheld powder ones are best, though very messy, -I certainly wouldn't want one sprayed in my direction never mind the face.

I have this one near the door: http://www.screwfix.com/p/firemax-dry-p ... -1kg/5534h

In case of an electrical fire of course....
I've been in the vicinity of a dry powder extinguisher going off and it catches in the throat to say the least, now if it was discharged 'at' you it must be a nightmare.

While we seem to be wandering down a 'dodgy lane' with our discussion about weapons I'll toss in that I've always thought a short spear would be quite practical in a home environment. Hard to justify unless you have a collection of them mounted around the house on display but from a practical point of view not much room to wield and handy for keeping an assailant at a distance with a pointy thing between you and them. Like I say we're starting to get into questionable territory here.
jansman

Post by jansman »

If its something you grab ' to hand' rather than a ' weapon' then the law recognises that as reasonable.Of course,what you DO with that tool in your hand ...

Even Americans ,with their free access to guns,generally,have to operate within the parameters of 'reasonable force'.Contrary to what the internet warriors may say!

My brother's friend ( a UK copper) did an exchange back in the 80's with the San Francisco police. He was an observer in a case of a policeman shooting a suspect dead.Anyhow,despite the coppers story,the only way he could have died ( after forensics) was with his hands in the air!

If my front door was booted in NOW! Then I would grab the fire poker by the stove.I think that would be reasonable response.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Good evening UK Preppers!
Love some the ideas thus far. The Spray Paint one was very interesting. Added to my prepping supplies.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Safehaus-Defen ... B00DSP708O
Some more simple home security upgrades.
1. A fire extinguisher in the utility room. Also by an exit door. Interesting uses discussed other than just for my dodgy cooking. Thanks.
2. A fire blanket. Belt and Braces approach.
3. A TV in the background. This TV is never ever off BBC News. It provides the appearance of someone watching TV with the flickering in the evenings (even though my blinds are closed the TV light still can be seen flickering).

1 and 2 cost about £30 all in. 3 was about £300 but also nice to see what is going on as you walk into the kitchen throughout the day / Breakfast.

MM
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Hi all,
Another home security upgrade.
Hilary's Blinds.
Wife's idea - that played to my sense of prepping (I think I got played lol). Downside £2,000 :(
Anyway - the picture shows Black blinds.
These Blinds are ALWAYS shut when we are not at home or sleeping.
Stops anybody seeing what is in the property AND they are super noisey to play with AND my wife also came up with the idea of having Ornaments and Cactii and plants and stuff on the window sill.
We have these for every window on the ground and second floor.
Given the security film, window lock, child security lock on top of the blinds and window sill items I hope that a Burgular may think this is too much hassle to try and navigate through and move on. Also it looks nice and homely - the aim is a discreet fortress.
I am also considering adding these to each window...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/WER-DOBERMAN-S ... sors&psc=1
MM
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Plymtom wrote: ... a policeman once told me he has a largish stone bust and other heavy ornaments strategically placed with which he could pick up in the heat of the moment ( this was 25 years or more ago) which isn't a bad idea ...
That truly never occurred to me! On a porch windowsill, sort of behind the front door, I have a 12" high sculpture of a dragon, gifted to me when I retired last year. It has all sorts of pointy bits on it, its a bit like this one:
grey-dragon-and-rider-led-statue.jpg
. I was going to get rid of it after I'd been retired for a year :D I don't actually like things like that ...
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Windowsill items certainly tell you that the window's been compromised. I have three windows with very posh wooden-slatted venetian blinds, which would make a terrific row if any burglar tried to get through. And I do keep a few bits and bobs on the sills.

Don't know if its quite home security, but I also keep a little bottle of spray deoderant in my EDC (a.k.a. handbag). Could keep one in the bedroom too, and the downstairs bathroom ... one likes to be smelling of nice things :D

The other thing that helps my house's security, I think, is that next door, through the party wall, are three enormous German Shepherd dogs :mrgreen: I think they may help my security a teensy bit, given that they bark when people go past :mrgreen: the fact that the female is called Lady and is the gentlest, sweetest dog I've ever seen has nothing to do with it :lol:
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Arzosah wrote: Re: Home Security Upgrades
by Arzosah » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:36 am

Don't know if its quite home security, but I also keep a little bottle of spray deoderant in my EDC (a.k.a. handbag). Could keep one in the bedroom too, and the downstairs bathroom ... one likes to be smelling of nice things

Are you kidding....never watched Roger Moore in Live and Let Die? :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Plymtom wrote:
Arzosah wrote: Re: Home Security Upgrades
by Arzosah » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:36 am
Don't know if its quite home security, but I also keep a little bottle of spray deoderant in my EDC (a.k.a. handbag). Could keep one in the bedroom too, and the downstairs bathroom ... one likes to be smelling of nice things
Are you kidding....never watched Roger Moore in Live and Let Die? :lol:
Er ... no :mrgreen: not on this planet :mrgreen: ask me anything about the Daniel Craig interpretation :mrgreen: