Home Security Upgrades

Homes and Retreats
yorkshirewolf

Re: Home Security Upgrades

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Deeps wrote:While we seem to be wandering down a 'dodgy lane' with our discussion about weapons I'll toss in that I've always thought a short spear would be quite practical in a home environment. Hard to justify unless you have a collection of them mounted around the house on display but from a practical point of view not much room to wield and handy for keeping an assailant at a distance with a pointy thing between you and them. Like I say we're starting to get into questionable territory here.
Agreed, Though I'd like to think all on the forum using any type of object as a weapon, would do so only as a last resort and in danger of imminent death.

Of course it's easy to say; "if someone forced their way through my door i'd batter them etc" but most of that is talk and being the big man.

I know personally i'd rather call the Old Bill and let them deal with problems, that's what we pay taxes for, but in cases like muggings/house intrusions, it's always going to be for money or cars, so i'd rather chuck someone the cash in my wallet and car keys and say good luck than be a hero and end up with life-changing injuries.

It's only stuff and it can be replaced, it's not worth your life.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

yorkshirewolf wrote:Deeps wrote:
While we seem to be wandering down a 'dodgy lane' with our discussion about weapons I'll toss in that I've always thought a short spear would be quite practical in a home environment. Hard to justify unless you have a collection of them mounted around the house on display but from a practical point of view not much room to wield and handy for keeping an assailant at a distance with a pointy thing between you and them. Like I say we're starting to get into questionable territory here.

Agreed, Though I'd like to think all on the forum using any type of object as a weapon, would do so only as a last resort and in danger of imminent death.
I have said it before asides from a commando dagger which I keep so well hidden I often forget where it is, I was bought it in my teens, I have no weapons whatsoever, I will not call my maglite a weapon, it's a torch, and I wouldn't call a knife, bow, catapult, or a gun a weapon either, I don't have them for that, I will not think of them like that, unless in fear of imminent death!

On a side note, had a policeman call today, nothing to worry about sir ( I didn't think I was looking worried I thought it was going to be an Amazon driver :lol: ) apparently a young woman was sprayed in the face with what she thought was pepper spray ( the Policeman thought it was deodorant) had wee seen or heard anything I said no sorry mate told the usual story of wife has the curtains drawn most of the time and the lads gaming would have been oblivious to screams as if they did hear them the would think it was the kids around here, who for some reason love to scream, anyway as it turned out my son did hear something so a little while later I toddled out and down the road to tell them, there were about 4 police cars and an ambulance by this point, and saw the person being bundled into an ambulance ( I'd seen her staggering around a few weeks back and thought she was a drunk ( or worse) so gave her a wide birth, wondered if she had wound up the wrong lot, anyway main point I went out without a coat as it's warm in plain sight on my belt is my pouch containing my Leatherman OHT (locking blades)- thought nothing of it till later, neither did they :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

I'm 6'6. 118kg. I am indeed a big man.
But you talk sense and something echoed in this book I purchased.
Lots of sensible advice and prepping stuff too.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Spy-Secr ... 0399175148
MM

yorkshirewolf wrote:
Deeps wrote:While we seem to be wandering down a 'dodgy lane' with our discussion about weapons I'll toss in that I've always thought a short spear would be quite practical in a home environment. Hard to justify unless you have a collection of them mounted around the house on display but from a practical point of view not much room to wield and handy for keeping an assailant at a distance with a pointy thing between you and them. Like I say we're starting to get into questionable territory here.

Of course it's easy to say; "if someone forced their way through my door i'd batter them etc" but most of that is talk and being the big man.

I know personally i'd rather call the Old Bill and let them deal with problems, that's what we pay taxes for, but in cases like muggings/house intrusions, it's always going to be for money or cars, so i'd rather chuck someone the cash in my wallet and car keys and say good luck than be a hero and end up with life-changing injuries.

It's only stuff and it can be replaced, it's not worth your life.
Attachments
Capture 1.JPG
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

That's me sold!
MM

Arzosah wrote:
mightymayesy wrote:Whilst I am at it - Make sure you have a letter box with thick draft excluding bristle qualities with a self recoiling internal panel.
I makes navigating said hook that bit more difficult then if you didn't have both.
Didn't give my locksmith any additional trouble :mrgreen:

mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Pretty cool gadget for the French Doors.
PatLock.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Patlock-Intern ... ds=patlock
Love it.
Only problem I had wad I had to put another handle as my French Doors - to make it work - as I only had one handle. Cheapskate Persimmon Homes!
MM
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

mightymayesy wrote: something echoed in this book I purchased.
Lots of sensible advice.. and prepping stuff too.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Spy-Secr ... 0399175148
MM
I'm desperate to avoid buying more books, but I went and had a look at this one :) such a great title! One of the reviews mentioned his youtube videos, so I've just subscribed to his channel, and I'll have a look late this afternoon, thanks mayesy.

And I love that handle for the French doors you featured in your last post, very elegant, and looks very secure.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Plymtom wrote:
yorkshirewolf wrote:Deeps wrote:
While we seem to be wandering down a 'dodgy lane' with our discussion about weapons I'll toss in that I've always thought a short spear would be quite practical in a home environment. Hard to justify unless you have a collection of them mounted around the house on display but from a practical point of view not much room to wield and handy for keeping an assailant at a distance with a pointy thing between you and them. Like I say we're starting to get into questionable territory here.

I have said it before asides from a commando dagger which I keep so well hidden I often forget where it is, I was bought it in my teens, I have no weapons whatsoever, I will not call my maglite a weapon, it's a torch, and I wouldn't call a knife, bow, catapult, or a gun a weapon either, I don't have them for that, I will not think of them like that, unless in fear of imminent death!

On a side note, had a policeman call today, nothing to worry about sir ( I didn't think I was looking worried I thought it was going to be an Amazon driver :lol: ) apparently a young woman was sprayed in the face with what she thought was pepper spray ( the Policeman thought it was deodorant) had wee seen or heard anything I said no sorry mate told the usual story of wife has the curtains drawn most of the time and the lads gaming would have been oblivious to screams as if they did hear them the would think it was the kids around here, who for some reason love to scream, anyway as it turned out my son did hear something so a little while later I toddled out and down the road to tell them, there were about 4 police cars and an ambulance by this point, and saw the person being bundled into an ambulance ( I'd seen her staggering around a few weeks back and thought she was a drunk ( or worse) so gave her a wide birth, wondered if she had wound up the wrong lot, anyway main point I went out without a coat as it's warm in plain sight on my belt is my pouch containing my Leatherman OHT (locking blades)- thought nothing of it till later, neither did they :lol:
I have been reading up a lot on FAC stuff recently due to the changes resulting from the 2017 Police and Crime Act, and noticed that pepper spray is considered a Section 5 (?) firearm, indeed to quote;

Any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other thing. This would generally include stun guns, or electric shock devices, CS gas (tear gas), OC spray (pepper spray), etc

...so, I imagine that coppers have been briefed on this recently and may have a bit of a thing about it just now. Even deodorant, I mean, some of that Lynx is pretty noxious ! :lol:
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Yep, pepper spray has been section 5 for a long time, the same category as a fully automatic Uzi, I think it's one of the things that no one could be bothered to legislate for so they stuck it in section 5 to ban it.
No mandatory minimum sentence for pepper spray or the like as there would be for a machine gun, but daft nonetheless.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
shocker

Post by shocker »

I have a memory of a police friend telling me that, as far as stunguns were concerned, seven years was the sentencing guideline...around that time I had read about a lad getting five years for a disguised stungun possession charge. That was what brought the subject into conversation.

But the wording in the various versions of the Act that I have read is vague, to say the least, and covers the use of everything from a jif lemon-squeezey upwards, if they wanted to make an issue out of it. :shock: :?
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Very excited to heed the advice of the forum and have just ordered the 6D Maglite.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
Learning all the time from you great bunch.
I really cannot wait to be able to mount these by the entry / exit points to inspect any sounds / movements even in the dead of night given the light it produces.
MM
Attachments
Capture.JPG