CCTV Signs

Homes and Retreats
Deeps

Re: CCTV Signs

Post by Deeps »

Not quite the same thing but when I have a chat with the loveable scamps who think they can ride their trail bikes on the fields near me I make sure I don't have my dugs with me. If I do, I bite my tongue and move on. i still ring the 'five-oh' but I don't want my dugs anywhere near in case someone claims I was going to set the dugs on them. I'm not sure how I'd do that, they're good at coming back when I call them but that's about it. The other thing is if someone did kick one of them, I'm not sure I could control myself.

Easier without the dugs, I'm not even sure how good they'd be with burglars, they would make enough noise for me to throw the missus down the stairs to deal with it while I hid in the bog but I'd be surprised if they 'went rogue' and started taking lumps out of people.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Deeps wrote:Not quite the same thing but when I have a chat with the loveable scamps who think they can ride their trail bikes on the fields near me I make sure I don't have my dugs with me. If I do, I bite my tongue and move on. i still ring the 'five-oh' but I don't want my dugs anywhere near in case someone claims I was going to set the dugs on them. I'm not sure how I'd do that, they're good at coming back when I call them but that's about it. The other thing is if someone did kick one of them, I'm not sure I could control myself.

Easier without the dugs, I'm not even sure how good they'd be with burglars, they would make enough noise for me to throw the missus down the stairs to deal with it while I hid in the bog but I'd be surprised if they 'went rogue' and started taking lumps out of people.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. I had a diminutive little Border Collie who was the life and soul of the party, would love anyone who looked at her. We found out about her alterego one day after the Dr tried to walk in the house while I was in the garden. He said if he hadn't had his bag to take the the sting out of the attack he could well have been singing soprano and would defo had some serious damage elsewhere. As soon as I ran in to see what the fuss was about, she was the life and soul of the party again. GP said he'd never seen anything like it.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Some dogs "kennel guard" in other words it's house becomes it's property. It might be fine with people it knows but a stranger going in alone is a different thing.
We used to have a Japenese akita that did that, take her outside and children could cuddle her, put her in the house and she'd happily rip your head off and spit down the hole in your neck if you went in and she didn't know you. She was a serious ASBO dog as my friend calls them, a great guard dog but mental.
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

A bit of digging as per 14 May 2014 update to Dangerous Dogs Act 1991.

Very interesting. Uninvited guests must be pleased.

The only saving grace to my mind is protection of children and that stray football coming into your garden.

Made me re-assess.

https://blogs.rspca.org.uk/insights/201 ... PLIn9LyuUk

MM
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
jansman

Post by jansman »

We have a little lad next door who is football mad.The ball comes over and he jumps over after it.He comes over in my veg garden usually,as that is low fenced/hedged with espalier fruit trees.I have told him not to,blocked the gaps and told him again!.There is no way I can put 6' fencing all the way up 200+ feet of garden!

My main reason for being a grumpy old man about it is our dog.I KNOW,that if our dog went anywhere near the boy,his mother would kick off/sue.And the dog would suffer as a result.Got to be so careful.The idea that its your property is a joke.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Brambles wrote:
Deeps wrote:Not quite the same thing but when I have a chat with the loveable scamps who think they can ride their trail bikes on the fields near me I make sure I don't have my dugs with me. If I do, I bite my tongue and move on. i still ring the 'five-oh' but I don't want my dugs anywhere near in case someone claims I was going to set the dugs on them. I'm not sure how I'd do that, they're good at coming back when I call them but that's about it. The other thing is if someone did kick one of them, I'm not sure I could control myself.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I had a diminutive little Border Collie who was the life and soul of the party, would love anyone who looked at her. We found out about her alterego one day after the Dr tried to walk in the house while I was in the garden. He said if he hadn't had his bag to take the the sting out of the attack he could well have been singing soprano and would defo had some serious damage elsewhere. As soon as I ran in to see what the fuss was about, she was the life and soul of the party again. GP said he'd never seen anything like it.
I hope I never have to find out, they don't seem overly fussed when folk come round, even if the postie chaps the door. You might be right though if it was a stranger, dunno, the last time I had somebody 'get in my face' when I was out with them they didn't seem remotely interested in what was going on and I'm glad of that, At the end of the day though as has been said, they're dogs, descended from wolves and they all have the capability to do damage.
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

All the 'dogs will be put down if they bite someone' is more scaremongering than reality.

There have been several cases 'round by me where dogs have bitten people - quite badly in two cases, and have been let off with 'dog control orders' basically they have to be muzzled and on a lead at all times when being walked and if they do it again, there'd better be a good reason or they get a destruction order.

The police generally seem to take on board the attitude of the owner, the type of dog, the circumstances in which the dog has bitten etc before going further, destruction orders are only given by a judge.

Obviously a shell-suit wearing, wannabe-gangster-little toe-rag who sets their badly behaved completely untrained (and likely abused) pit-bull, on a pomeranian for fun is going to be dealt with very differently than a respectable home owner whose well behaved, trained, calm, German Shepherd has taken a chunk out of a burglar/mugger.

So yes, a dog can defend it's home and owner, but make sure it's trained and well balanced.

Back on topic...

Most people who are burgling houses know what to look for security-wise, signs or no signs, and will be looking for cameras - genuine working ones as well as the dummy type, locks and ease of access, as well as ease of escape with their loot.
Cameras in general put them off, but all cameras do is catch them in the act, ok, so it might make a conviction easier (if local plod can be bothered nicking them, only for the magistrate to take into account the other 43 crimes the thief has committed and give them a telling off :x ) but thats hardly a comfort when you're cleaning up the mess and convincing the other half that it's safe and you don't have to move to a better area.... :roll:

Make sure you have good door locks, good padlocks, some visible but not too obvious cameras, keep keys / bags / wallets / laptops / phones / tablets out of sight and you're doing pretty much everything you sensibly can.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

jansman wrote:We have a little lad next door who is football mad.The ball comes over and he jumps over after it.He comes over in my veg garden usually,as that is low fenced/hedged with espalier fruit trees.I have told him not to,blocked the gaps and told him again!.There is no way I can put 6' fencing all the way up 200+ feet of garden!

My main reason for being a grumpy old man about it is our dog.I KNOW,that if our dog went anywhere near the boy,his mother would kick off/sue.And the dog would suffer as a result.Got to be so careful.The idea that its your property is a joke.

Has the kid got any allergies? you could plant stuff he hates or train a dog to kill footballs.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Sensible advice.

MM

[quote=" Make sure you have good door locks, good padlocks, some visible but not too obvious cameras, keep keys / bags / wallets / laptops / phones / tablets out of sight and you're doing pretty much everything you sensibly can.[/quote]
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
jansman

Post by jansman »

Plymtom wrote:
jansman wrote:We have a little lad next door who is football mad.The ball comes over and he jumps over after it.He comes over in my veg garden usually,as that is low fenced/hedged with espalier fruit trees.I have told him not to,blocked the gaps and told him again!.There is no way I can put 6' fencing all the way up 200+ feet of garden!

Has the kid got any allergies? you could plant stuff he hates or train a dog to kill footballs.
I wish! My Wife is a teacher,and is SO aware of safeguard issues.Me? I would cane the little sod,as he is mardy,horrible and foulmouthed for a six year old.Mind you,dad is a big thick gym bunny,and she is a real blonde bimbo.

I'll stop,as I am going into a rage! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.