CCTV Signs

Homes and Retreats
mightymayesy

CCTV Signs

Post by mightymayesy »

Hi all,
Enjoyed the CCTV thread and your comments were valued.
I have CCTV and as it's the long Easter Weekend that can only mean one thing - odd jobs around the house.
I have these signs that are good quality rigid plastic signs that I will be putting up around the house perimeter this weekend. Photo attached. Ignore Super Girl.
Question is; would you put signs up announcing that you have CCTV?
I can see pro's and con's but right now i'm going for it.
MM
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
jansman

Re: CCTV Signs

Post by jansman »

I have CCTV and I have a small sign on the wall near the two cameras that ' warns people that they are being recorded.I believe it is law,although someone may tell me differently! :lol:

However, whatever the rule,I am a firm believer that if there are security measures,then let folks know.An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

jansman wrote:I have CCTV and I have a small sign on the wall near the two cameras that ' warns people that they are being recorded.I believe it is law,although someone may tell me differently! :lol:

However, whatever the rule,I am a firm believer that if there are security measures,then let folks know.An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure!

I think you're right legally and common sensically :lol: pretty much like a beware of the dog sign, if you've got one and it's likely to bite an intruder, if you haven't warned, you could be in trouble yes?

My alarm is low key the bell box out back looks like it's been there since before electricity ;) but the sensors all work and all the house lights come on if someone tries to get in, never mind once they are already there.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Panther

Post by Panther »

mightymayesy wrote:Photo attached. Ignore Super Girl.
Finding it difficult to ignore her! My OH says it's my age; something about being a "dirty old man!" :lol:
There may be trouble ahead
But while there's moonlight and music
And love and romance
Let's face the music and dance
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Plymtom wrote:
I think you're right legally and common sensically :lol: pretty much like a beware of the dog sign, if you've got one and it's likely to bite an intruder, if you haven't warned, you could be in trouble yes?
I was told by a guy in the security business that you shouldn't have a "beware of the dog" sign . Instead you should have a "dogs loose" sign or something along those lines. Reason , he told me , is that warning people to beware of your dog is in effect admitting you have a dangerous dog on the premises. Should someone get bitten and you've admitted to having a dangerous dog it's very likely that dog will get destroyed.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

grenfell wrote:
Plymtom wrote:
I was told by a guy in the security business that you shouldn't have a "beware of the dog" sign . Instead you should have a "dogs loose" sign or something along those lines. Reason , he told me , is that warning people to beware of your dog is in effect admitting you have a dangerous dog on the premises. Should someone get bitten and you've admitted to having a dangerous dog it's very likely that dog will get destroyed.
:roll: We wouldn't want the burglars to get hurt would we? We're between dogs at the moment, whilst the juice is on I've more confidence in myself and my alarm given that in all my experience ours dogs have stayed lying there letting me go an investigate..... I should have rigged the alarm to ring the bloody doorbell they'd bark then at least, we had a yorkie who used to bark at the phone :lol: I think we had a picture of a Rottie saying " I live here" on the back gate at one point, it probably helped come to think of it.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

grenfell wrote:
Plymtom wrote:
I've been told this as well ^^^ putting up a beware of the dog sign could be in the eyes of the law viewed as admitting the dog is dangerous and likely to bite.

CCTV my view would be if you see a sign and you are going to break in anyway then you would make sure your face was covered.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

I have two "Beware of the Dog" signs* on each gate...

I'll see you in court as we watch a jury, our peers, deem me - subjectively - as a reasonable man for the aforementioned "warning" signs (and actions) of a territorial dog but for the actions of an uninvited visitor on my private land?

I think we will be fine.

MM

* I may or may not have a German Shepherd called Marley.

preparedsurrey wrote:
grenfell wrote:
Plymtom wrote:
I've been told this as well ^^^ putting up a beware of the dog sign could be in the eyes of the law viewed as admitting the dog is dangerous and likely to bite.

CCTV my view would be if you see a sign and you are going to break in anyway then you would make sure your face was covered.

mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Giggety

Panther wrote:
mightymayesy wrote:Photo attached. Ignore Super Girl.
Finding it difficult to ignore her! My OH says it's my age; something about being a "dirty old man!" :lol:

grenfell

Post by grenfell »

mightymayesy wrote:I have two "Beware of the Dog" signs* on each gate...

I'll see you in court as we watch a jury, our peers, deem me - subjectively - as a reasonable man for the aforementioned "warning" signs (and actions) of a territorial dog but for the actions of an uninvited visitor on my private land?

I think we will be fine.

MM

* I may or may not have a German Shepherd called Marley.
As I was told the "dogs loose" rather than "beware of the dogs" is more to protect the dog more than anything else . People can get very attached to their dogs and having one bite someone and admitting that it's dangerous will see it get destroyed with very little chance of overturning that decision. Warning people that a dog is loose could be seen as a warning that the dog might escape for instance and gives a little legal leeway.
For what it's worth I do tend to think if someone enters ones property with intent to rob then if they get bitten or even half eaten by a dog it's their own fault but unfortunately we do live in a society where criminals are given rights.