Emergency home lighting

Homes and Retreats
Covert

Emergency home lighting

Post by Covert »

On my list of things to do is rig up a 12v emergency lighting setup in my home , we are in a bungalow so thoughts were to put a large 12v battery in the roof and run some cables etc for lighting . Maybe keep the battery on a trickle charger to keep it topped up and in good condition.

Any thoughts ?
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Emergency home lighting

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Depends on what you want to do if on roof why not a 60w solar charger with charge regulator... My 30w just copes with my shed in winter... Its all in a kit bar mounting brackets
https://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/cat ... -boat.html

The regulator does the charge control and auto shut off if discharged too far to save the battery

Biggest issue is these batteries ( leisure flooded acid) is getting it in the loft (heavy) and maintaining it (if maintainable) unless you have a loft ladder

I would go for low level / intensity lighting rather than led strip as its a pain to hang and cheap light strips don't last

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-x-Brushed-Chr ... Ciid%253A1
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Or more discrete

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-10W-LED-Eag ... Ciid%253A5

If you drop the all the light wires into a cupboard this might make life easier

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-6-Gang-Rock ... iid%253A21

Also has CIG socket and USB charger

Remember to fuse accordingly the supplied leads on the solar panel fuse close to the battery but if each light is fused it won't harm ;)

I wouldn't go for Blackpool illuminations and I would be tempted to try red lighting as its very easy on the eye and won't deplete your night vision

Covert

Post by Covert »

Thanks fellas , i hadnt thought about a solar panel, ive actually got a spare big one sitting around doing nothing , how do i work out how much power it kicks out ..?
Its not a problem getting the battery in the loft , my garage is pitch roof and shares the same wall on the side of the house , somone in the past has put a hatch in so easy access.

I like the idea of red lighting as when ive used it at night in the past its been very successful

Was thinking of led strip lighting in red not fixed anywhere but like a long torch with lead so it can be mived from room to room , dont want people being able to see that we have a light on , make it as covert as possible

Thanks Mark.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Post Xmas sales have me stocked up on AA battery powered Xmas lights, bright enough to light my way around rooms but subtle enough not to be seen from outdoors.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

We have wind up LED camping lanterns, so no batteries needed. Also these:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331760084929 Keep plenty of batteries on hand and some rechargeable ones too, along with a solar charger. Cheap and reliable.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Squirrelcatcher

Post by Squirrelcatcher »

Personally, I wouldn't stick the battery in the roof. Firstly it will be more exposed to fluctuating temperatures - especially higher ones. Secondly, you are less likely to be aware if something goes wrong with it until the results are too late to deal with.

Finally, at risk of stealing your thread, if you or anyone else can recommend an appropriate solar panel/control system (price/power and reliability) I would be very grateful. Apologies if I've not done my homework and this matter is adequately covered on another thread.
Squirrelcatcher

Post by Squirrelcatcher »

D'Oh!! Didn't properly open first link. But if anyone has any other suggestions.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Squirrelcatcher wrote:D'Oh!! Didn't properly open first link. But if anyone has any other suggestions.

I have had that panel about 3 years and its still working fine :-)

Went with them after seeing plenty of positive feedback on caravan forums they also sell on Amazon :)