Wild camping

Homes and Retreats
Prepperpete74

Wild camping

Post by Prepperpete74 »

Hey all,

Myself and a few buddies are looking at going away for a few days. Not camping but just a bivvy bag and a basha and just getting away from it all. I know open fires aren't permitted but does anyone know of any private places which are desolate enough (i.e. You can't see loads of other tents) where they will permit you to have an open fire?

Not sure how strict the national parks are on their 'no fire' rules but I'm fully aware of how dangerous an open fire can be if not constructed correctly or put out fully. Has anyone had any experience in places like snowdonia or Dartmoor?

I'd like to hear your guys thoughts.

Cheers

Pete
shocker

Re: Wild camping

Post by shocker »

I'll re post some of my stuff from the other thread because its relevant and others may correct me or add to it. Though it doesnt answer your questions specifically, it does have some general points :

Its a minefield, in some cases literally ! But the general rule is leave it as you found it, if not better (tidy up previous peoples litter and mess).

Have you much experience of this ? Im not being patronising, I just dont know what you know. If you know what I mean ;)
Do you have experience of sourcing drinkable water, making latrines, laying out a camping area?

Theres a great forum where you can find out about camping sites and so on http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk join up and get some first hand advice and details, they are a good bunch there, too.

But if you do find some stuff out, please come back to share it here- it all adds to the pool of knowledge :)
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Prepperpete74

Post by Prepperpete74 »

I've got a fair bit of camping experience and know how to conduct myself properly. I.e. Disposing of waste (my own and general), creating fires, camping etiquette etc.

What we want is a more organic camping experience without a camp shop and a tent and the family next door waking greeting us with a cheery wave (that makes me sound really unsociable, doesn't it? :D ). Just truly getting back to nature and sleeping under the stars.

It's only a couple of nights so we can carry enough water/cider/beer although I've always got my life straw and water purifying tabs in abundance.

A friend of mine, who's ex Marie's says they used to do this regularly in their down time and fires weren't not an issue as long as constructed correctly and contained. Now, I'm sure when he says 'not an issue' he actually means they were never caught!

I'm just worried about the strict laws in the national parks and a criminal record in the name of getting away from it all!
Prepperpete74

Post by Prepperpete74 »

By the way, thanks for the link. I'll check it out :)
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Generally if your tucked well out of the way and out of sight you'll probably get away with the camping part. Especially if you arrive late and leave early. The fire is a dead give away though, most of the parks have wardens or rangers, or local farmers on the look out.
At one time the Brecon Beacons rangers would make a trip up Pen-y-fan (the highest peak) last thing before sunset for a look about, and I've seen them checking car parks in other places.
digi

Post by digi »

theres a place not far from pen y fan that has a huge open field, that spans 3 sides of a hill, if that makes sense, and also has some woodland, all for camping in, with enough space to get away from everyone, and they allow open fires
shocker

Post by shocker »

And you are right there to do the "fan dance" before breakfast ! :D

...just watch out for wiry men with moustaches sweating heavily, desperately clutching Silva compasses :?
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Prepperpete74

Post by Prepperpete74 »

That's great info Digi, thanks for that!

How long does it take before I don't need to have my posts vetted?

Pete
Last edited by Prepperpete74 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Your first 10 posts are moderated not incuding any posts in the intro section. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Haven't done it myself, me and Mrs go camping, but it is a disgrace the amount of stuff we take just for a couple of nights, this is tent glamping. :oops: :oops: But, i do believe that wild camping is ok in Scotland, i do believe there is a thread around here somewhere, that may be worth a look. Again please let us know what you find out. How do you find your life straw, a water purifier thingy is something i have been thinking about.
Up in the wet South Lakeland