My Bug In List

Homes and Retreats
jaffab

My Bug In List

Post by jaffab »

There are a lot of BOB content list created, and various discussions regarding Bugging In, but no real Bug In List.

I am finishing my Plan B (BUG IN) list. What have I forgotten?

I have...

* Food - Tined (meat, meals, fruit), dried, pasta, rice, Jerky, etc - about 4 months worth
* Water - I am installing my 150lite potable water store this weekend, and then have a 40m square plastic catchment system to catch rain
* Water processing - Various micron based filters for cleaning caught rain water
* Cooking - I have a twin ring camping stove and 8 spare canisters of gas (giving me about 40 hours cooking time). If that runs out, I have a large hobo stove about a lot of old wood (a wheelie bin full of broken up fence panels, this would only be used for cooking)
* Light - I have various torches and about 400 hours of candles, plus 2 x battery LED lanterns which give me about 80h of light each
* Heat - I have a low omission paraffin heater with enough paraffin for about 6 weeks of heat - it will heat one room
* Protection (to house) - a set of 6mm polycab which I can fit up on the inside against all downstairs windows - pre cut to size
* Protection RE-READ THE FORUM RULES deliberately modifying a paintball gun to fire anything other than frangible paint ball is illegal like wise over 12ft lb or 6ft lb you need a FAC
http://www.paintballing-uk.co.uk/2011/0 ... he-uk.html

* Communication - Spare external battery packs for charging mobile phones. Battery powered FM/MW/LW radio
* Entertainment - Books and board games a plenty
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
Alloneword

Re: My Bug In List

Post by Alloneword »

Maybe wind up radio and wind up battery charger for the phone, just as an extra layer of redundancy.

All1
Please bear in mind i am prepping for the River Thames to flood and how i can get to safe ground, I'm not worried about the end of the world..... I'll die with the other Minions.
I can't trust Govt or local Council to help me so i have to help myself.
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

You seem to have made a good start so please take these as constructive criticism or either as questions to get you thinking.

If I had a garden I'd seriously consider growing some of my own fruit and vegetables so that might be something for you to consider for the more long term goals.

100% wool blankets work wonders for keeping warm.

What efforts have you made to blackout the light?

Do you have a first aid kit with medicine? what about antibiotics? Have you looked into what medicinal herbs you can use such as Plantain?

If you have children, do you have clothing that they can grow into? How will you educate them?

How do you plan to go about disposing of waste?

Edited by moderator. Please read forum rules re illegal use of firearms
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

MBJ - some good points, and adding to my thinking about list. Ta

Any more for any more?
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

Let's be clear, I was not saying you should use guns for self defence, as having any item or weapon for the purpose of self defence is illegal in the UK. What I was saying is what you can legally own in the UK. Some licensed, and some without licence. I have re-read the rules and I cannot find anything in relation to firearms. Please could the rules be clarified? Thank you.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

MBJ wrote:Let's be clear, I was not saying you should use guns for self defence, as having any item or weapon for the purpose of self defence is illegal in the UK. What I was saying is what you can legally own in the UK. Some licensed, and some without licence. I have re-read the rules and I cannot find anything in relation to firearms. Please could the rules be clarified? Thank you.
I'm guessing it was because you quoted stuff that was edited after you replied, I didn't see it but the fact that some of the post you were replying to was edited suggests your response was edited. I agree that the guidelines could be more concise.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

It was the reasoning and context in which you suggested acquiring firearms that was the dealbreaker MBJ. This forum does not tolerate the illegal use of firearms under any circumstances even if just a scenario. Including home defence.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

Just for clarity on my original post, (and being a little cryptic here as I dont want to break any rules) when I referred to the use of a paintball gun (which is in the mod comments so I guess that bit is ok) I referred to using a type of amo which is not actually paint, but is sold and used by many a paintball club for practice without needing to buy paint balls over and over. And as for any modifications, I may have suggested, this is not actually a modification, but a twisty dial thing already in a device which changes the speed of something or other.

Sorry if my original comment broke any rules. This was not intentional. :oops:

I dont want to get myself or any other member in trouble.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

All we ask is that you consider the legalities of things before you post as it is the site owner who would 'reap' any benefits in court. For this reason, we tend to avoid topics such as hunting, home and personal defence and weaponry of any sort in that context. I hope I've clarified.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

Brambles, happy to delete the entire thread if it helps. :)