My Bug In List

Homes and Retreats
MBJ

Re: My Bug In List

Post by MBJ »

Yes I too apologies, my original post was written with a world without rule of law in mind, hence it wouldn't really matter. I think it's hard to discuss these issues whilst the law still does exist.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Other issue is if the powers that be see what you post at some point say you use your bath sponge to beat a burgular to death having posted you keep said bath sponge on a public forum at the top of your stairs for said reason your in the manure under the offensive weppon act

What is an offensive weapon?

The term ‘offensive weapon’ is defined as: ‘any article made or adapted for use to causing injury to the person, or intended by the person having it with him for such use.’

To be considered an offensive weapon, the article must come within one of the following three categories:

1. An offensive weapon per se

The following have been held to be offensive weapons per se because they do not have any innocent quality: machete, sword, flick knife, truncheon. However, a lock knife, ordinary razor or a penknife have been held not to be offensive weapons per se, because they do have an innocent purpose.

2. Something adapted to cause injury

This could include a bottle that has been deliberately broken, a potato with a razor blade inserted into it, or an unscrewed pool cue.

3. Something that is not offensive per se, or adapted, but is intended to be used for the purpose of causing injury

For example, a work hammer or a stone etc.

Do the prosecution have to prove that the possessor also had an intention to cause injury?

If it is a weapon that is offensive per se, or that has been adapted to cause injury, there is no requirement on the prosecution to prove that the possessor also intended to use it to cause injury. However, if the object falls under the third category, the prosecution must prove the intent to injure.
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:1. An offensive weapon per se

The following have been held to be offensive weapons per se because they do not have any innocent quality: machete, sword, flick knife, truncheon. However, a lock knife, ordinary razor or a penknife have been held not to be offensive weapons per se, because they do have an innocent purpose.
I'd argue the machette, it's a tool I bought mine with no intention of using it as anything offensive, it's great for slicing wrapping paper at xmas.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Drcamburn

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you work, you eat, it's as simple as that.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Drcamburn wrote:Disclaimer. First post, if I break any rules or step on any toes I'm really sorry in advance.

Water collection is something I'm interested in. To get this back on topic and away from firearms and weapons laws.

Firstly, how were you planning to keep that 150L of water fresh? As I doubt that much water would sit nicely in the tank without some work or would need to be regularly replaced to keep it drinkable.

Secondly what were you using to filter the water? As I've been looking at building/buying a simple water filter system to clear out collected rainwater. Having to use rainwater as I wouldn't be able to keep that much water in my little cottage.
Don't worry about it mate, we're just like to err on the side of caution when talking about weapons, there's a whole legal aspect that can get in the way so its easier to tip toe round the subject, after all, its only a small part of prepping.

Water and its collection is something that is vital, there are a number of threads on here about it, depends on what you choose to believe about its longevity. I've drank water that was in a plastic tub for a number of years when I was a yoof so I tend to just leave my water stores, saying that, it wouldn't do any harm to replenish them. There's loads of options for filtering, chlorinating etc, boiling is also an option.