Potable Water Storage

Homes and Retreats
jaffab

Re: Potable Water Storage

Post by jaffab »

I was going around the houses, looking at different options again, looking at different storage sizes - the bigger the size, the more water I can store, but the more obvious it would be.

So then I did some research, and my maths work out (I think)...

So if I have 150l of potable water, at 2l a day, thats about 2 months of water. We have 2 water barrels in the garden of about 250 litres each which we could use for non drinking effort (flushing the brown) and I have a water processor, so could clean that green water in a pinch.

Anyway, here in my county, on a typical June/July/August month, I get an average of 42mm of rain per month (Feb and March are the driest months according to the the Met Office stats for the years 1980 to 2015 with an average of 34mm each).

Now I have 40 Sq Meters of plastic sheeting on hand - lets say that is out 50% of the time it rains (don't want it out when its not raining as it will get bird dirt on it = parasites) - I would use the pin it by the corners and hole/weight in the middle technique.

1mm of rainfall per 1 sq meter of catchment = 1 litre of water

Which means that in any 1 summer month, I have 42mm of rain x 40 Sq meters x .50% of sheet out time = 840 litres of water

Enough to keep my 150 litre tank topped up, and enough to share with the two closest neighbours if push came to shove (as they would see my back garden turn into some kind of plastic haven).
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

Sounds like a good plan as an addition to collecting water from the surface area of the roof. If you cobble something together beforehand, you could even sort it out so it is easy to assemble only when it rains. I particularly like the idea of over-producing to share with the neighbours - probably something I'll do too.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

jaffab wrote:I am not only thinking about a SHTF situation - I have had letters dropping through my letter box over the last couple of weeks that because of major housing developments being built about half a mile away, our water company (South East Water) are going to have to dig up road, replace sewage pipes, and replace main water pipes over the course of a 5 month period to allow for more flow with the new houses. With other utility companies also laying more phone, power and gas lines, there is a chance of disruption of service to some or all utilities should somebody dig in the wrong place - so having back up water seems sensible anyway.

At the end of the day, a 160l tank will cost me about £120, the wood to box it in and store it will be another £30, so its a fairly cheap and simple solution. With access panels I can empty the water and refill every 4 months. I will put a house inlet somewhere in my box setup and a exit tube for general rotation/use in a SHTF situation.
I'm sure you've thought of this, but do raise it on blocks or similar so that you can get a pot or jug under the tap when you need water.
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

Yep, putting the tank around 3 inches up for that exact r3ason
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

And project 'hidden water tank' has started.
The garage area has been cleared and old display cabinet has been demolished ready for the building of the new water store/storage area.

Outline sketch I put together last night....

For some reason its rotated 90 degrees clockwise - and I cant find a way to fix it. Tilt your head and you can see it. Basically an "L" shaped MDF shelf system - with the bottom of the "L" being a big block where the water tank will sit, with selfes in front of it, and then some shelving above it. Looks a bit like a toilet - the light rectangle thing in the main section is the water tank with shelves in front and around it - the small square which looks like a toilet is the access/fill access hole. There is an edge on the right for empty/access to the outlet hose and tap.

Will order the tank on Wednesday for delivery for Friday, and will build this over the weekend.
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

So the build is complete, and I attach the photos in the order from the space ready to go, to it complete and things on the shelves - space left over.
Currently holding 220 litres of drinking water....

The first one is the right one up, the others are rotated 90 degrees to the left (turn your head, because I can't work outr how to rotate them). the last one is the fill up hole.

Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I like it :) We have to use every inch of space too, I have projects in the pipeline but no funds.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Squirrelcatcher

Post by Squirrelcatcher »

jaffab wrote:... at 2l a day...
Hi Jaffab. Sorry to drop in on this thread so late. I don't wish to ruin your day but WHO recommend 7l per day; in emergency situations, 15l per day.
Maybe you might need to increase your calculations. I know mine have been woefully inadequate.
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

My maths are based on potable (drinking/cooking) water only. If you include other water uses (toilet flushing, cleaning, etc) then the consumption levels go up.
The Us CDC recommends 1 gallon per person per day. 1 Gallon = 4.25 litres

https://emergency.cdc.gov/preparedness/kit/water/
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

....and if you limit it to drinking water only (using filtered/boiled rainwater/ground water for cooking) then it's around 2.5 litres per day.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======