Potable Water Storage

Homes and Retreats
jaffab

Potable Water Storage

Post by jaffab »

All,

Next month I am looking at the options for my portable water storage. My initial plan was to purchase 4 or 5 25l Jerry Cans, have them stored away and in the event of it looking like the SHTF, drag them out and fill them. That is still my main plan I guess. I know that wont be enough water for a serious bug in, so then I would fill the bath (about 180lites) with water.

This of course leaves me open to a situation where the SHTF and I dont have a chance to fill the water. Water cut off, or whatever.

So then I started looking at other tanks such as this...

http://www.kingfisherdirect.co.uk/water ... water-tank

Which I could fill with water from a hose, and empty/refill on a regular basis. But then... where to place it?

There is a lot of space above say my garage (garage roof space) and the beams support my weight, but then.... the beams are also supporting the garage wall. There is a big difference between my dangling on the beams for 30 seconds to test their weight and me fixing a water store up there in terms of long term stress to the beams, and the the garage walls. The same goes for the roof - I have no idea about the loads and stresses on the beams - and to get a proper analysis needs a proper structural engineer and we are talking big bucks for them to come out.

I could also place a largish tank in the garden shed I suppose, but then I have issues with freezing water in the winter, and accessing it in a SHTF situation as its separate from the house. I guess the same is true with an external (down the side of the house) water storage solution - and outside, we have the added disadvantage of on hot days the water being cooked and it going off.

So what are others doing? What are the options?
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
Plymtom

Re: Potable Water Storage

Post by Plymtom »

You may be able to do the maths yourself but here's another way of looking at it you could test it put it up there and part fill it, leave it for a week and if there are no signs of stress or bending then add a bit more, often roofs are built with more or less off the shelf frames which in theory could be made to withstand a higher load say concrete roofing tiles as apposed to thinner lighter materials, there's even a chance with added weight your garage roof may stay where it is rather than blow away with next doors tank less one.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

You're also assuming water is still coming out of the taps. Water is pumped through the system and requires electricity. Best to have a rainwater collection facility and a means to purify it too.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

I have water butts fed from the gutters, but the last time I looked, they were so full of slime and wriggly things I would not touch them with anything other than garden watering. I have a water purifier, but even so, I would not touch the water barrels.

That is why I am thinking a 100-125 litre water tank somewhere for immediate use, (we also have around a minimum of 100litre of bottled water on hand) - and should it rain, capture and purify that as well.

Hence the question of where to stick the water tank which will not destroy the house.
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

Doing some measuring and checking, I think I have a sneaky plan...

In the garage, I have this 'stores' area set aside. It is basically an old side board from years ago, and in the sideboard we have the old paints, water softener blocks, etc. And on top of it, I have a stack of Useful Boxes (big plastic tubs) full of cash and Carry food.

So, what I am going to do is accidentally break this unit (its old and under stress from the food in the tubs) and I am going to take it down to the dump. This will make the garage a mess. Then, I am going to announce my Tidy project – to create a storage big box for keeping all this stuff tidy. Next time wife is away (wife does not like to know what is going on or the details, just that there are plans), I am going to get a large water tank, and create a box around that – so that it is on the garage floor (no weight issues) with access areas for filling and emptying/using, and with shelves above for the useful boxes, shallow front shelves for salt and paint, and basically hide it in plain sight in the garage.

The water tank is 30cm deep – so I can make it 38 deep – 30cm for the tank, 1 cm for a MDF front panel, then 7 cm for shelf space in front. Then I can load the shelves with the paint, salt blocks and it will look all neat and tidy, but with a hidden water tank inside.
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

jaffab wrote:slime and wriggly things
This wouldn't bother me. The only difference with only a small amount of debris is the time it takes to clog up the filter. A filter will work to take out all debris and most bacteria, no matter how much there is.

I keep my 450 litres of bottled water in the eaves of the house. I like your box-on-floor solution, and definitely wouldn't rely on having time to turn on the taps.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
Appin

Post by Appin »

One useful area to look for is yachting chandlers.

If you think about it a yacht has to be self sufficient so they have useful ideas.

Water storage is a case in point.

https://www.mailspeedmarine.com/ercole- ... tanks.html
https://www.mailspeedmarine.com/flexibl ... tanks.html

http://www.force4.co.uk/diablo-smart-ta ... ter%20tank&

Not for everyone but some possibilities.

Appin
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

I can see everyone is preparing differently, I'm just going down the olde bottled water route. I've got about 10 litres per person of bottled luxury drinking water. I would like to get some of those plastic jerry cans in future and stash one each of those away too, just full of tap water. Advice suggests 1 gallon per person per day, but loads of that in intended for bathing and toilet flushing and stuff, so no need to keep mineral water in that capacity.

I'm thinking that the jerry cans of water will go green and mouldy after a while so may drop in a few sterilisation tabs in each. This way we could still drink it though a filter if needed.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

I am not only thinking about a SHTF situation - I have had letters dropping through my letter box over the last couple of weeks that because of major housing developments being built about half a mile away, our water company (South East Water) are going to have to dig up road, replace sewage pipes, and replace main water pipes over the course of a 5 month period to allow for more flow with the new houses. With other utility companies also laying more phone, power and gas lines, there is a chance of disruption of service to some or all utilities should somebody dig in the wrong place - so having back up water seems sensible anyway.

At the end of the day, a 160l tank will cost me about £120, the wood to box it in and store it will be another £30, so its a fairly cheap and simple solution. With access panels I can empty the water and refill every 4 months. I will put a house inlet somewhere in my box setup and a exit tube for general rotation/use in a SHTF situation.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I carry 6x 5 gallon jerries ( FILLED and dated) no point having empty ones and thinking you can fill em when the crap happens.I have about 600 gallons of rain catchment.Simple to filter AND sustainable. And we have a Well.

The accepted wisdom is 1 gallon,per person,per day.So our 6 jerries will last a week or so as there are three of us here most times.

The jerry cans are emptied once a year ( they are kept dark and cool) and always there.Fall back is the catchment. Use a reliable commercial filter ( plenty to choose from) or use an old t shirt as a filter and boil it.Simple.

The Well is clean ,tested and reliable. Nuff said.

Water storage is a no- brainer really.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.