Potable Water Storage

Homes and Retreats
featherstick

Re: Potable Water Storage

Post by featherstick »

Just another thought -

If water supplies are interrupted, then I won't be flushing the toilet with what we have.

For solids, I'll be making up a compost toilet out of buckets with a lavatory seat fitted on top. At intervals this will be disposed of into the allotment compost heap. Liquids will be captured in an old milk bottle and filtered through the garden compost heap.

Not suitable for all, I know, but relying on rainwater is too risky, so I plan to cut down on water needs.
jaffab

Re: Potable Water Storage

Post by jaffab »

Yep, same for me... I am only thinking of the potable water for drinking and cooking. Things I would not be using this water for...

Washing me (happy to stand in the garden when it rains with a bar of soap), washing clothes (we can go months before clothes need washing or we run out), flushing the toilet (we have plenty of water butts for this kind of water).

For me, its a practical happy space between the space to store water, the cost of the equipment to store it, how long before we can replenish with rain water (see previous maths on this on a previous page), and other priorities.

I am happy my logic works (for my situation).
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)